Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are you Cold Hearted? Or are you Compassionate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you Cold Hearted? Or are you Compassionate?

OK, first of all, let's clarify the terms....

I have noticed (particularly with my own sisters dealing with my Dad) that people who tend to be "compassionate" tend to think others who are NOT so "compassionate" are "cold hearted".

And people who are not so "compassionate" think of those who are "compassionate" as drama queens.

My baby sister (the youngest of 5 sisters who are all younger than me ) is rather "matter of fact" about things. She doesn't get emotional, she faces problems calmly and reasonably, and she sometimes gets annoyed with the "drama" that others partake in. Mrs. CP is pretty much the same way - no drama.

My oldest younger sister, on the other hand, is quite compassionate, and every problem is a crisis. Dad (mid 90's) fell in the bathroom (thread on that in Prayer/Praise) and my oldest younger sister thinks I should jump on a plane and get there (Ohio) right away. My youngest younger sister thinks I should wait til she talks to the doctors this evening and assesses the situation.

OVER ALL, however, this confirms something I've seen in ministry. We are all "gifted" differently, and have different talents and abilities. We react differently. I have seen where those with the gift of mercy, for example, get frustrated because those with the gift of discernment or prophecy don't rush to help, and are seen as "lacking compassion".

Personally, I think I used to be much less "compassionate" - and more "evangelistic" - and over the past 10 years or so have become more "pastoral".

How bout you? Where do you think you fit? Do you see yourself as compassionate, and get frustrated at those who are not? Do you see yourself as "rational", and get frustrated at those who are "into drama"?

Calm polite discussion, please.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Feels.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
      Feels.

Feel free not to post here.

Thanks
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Feels.

Er, is there something wrong with having emotions?
        "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
        -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        I support the :
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Feel free not to post here.
          Thank you, but that would be precisely the crucial error: letting feels override rational thought and reflection.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
            No.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
              Paul didn't think so, often expressing emotions and mentioning things like "bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering..."

Comment

Thank you, but that would be precisely the crucial error: letting feels override rational thought and reflection.
                OK, let me be more clear. I'm asking you not to post here, because I really don't see what you could add of value, given your past posting history. Please do not post in this thread any longer.

Thanks.

Comment

I tend to take the overtly emotional (compassionate?) among us in small doses, as they can be too draining. I therefore prefer the company of the more rationally inclined.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                    I tend to take the overtly emotional (compassionate?) among us in small doses, as they can be too draining. I therefore prefer the company of the more rationally inclined.
                    That was post 666 for you. It is therefore ignored.

Comment

OK, first of all, let's clarify the terms....

I have noticed (particularly with my own sisters dealing with my Dad) that people who tend to be "compassionate" tend to think others who are NOT so "compassionate" are "cold hearted".

And people who are not so "compassionate" think of those who are "compassionate" as drama queens.

My baby sister (the youngest of 5 sisters who are all younger than me ) is rather "matter of fact" about things. She doesn't get emotional, she faces problems calmly and reasonably, and she sometimes gets annoyed with the "drama" that others partake in. Mrs. CP is pretty much the same way - no drama.

My oldest younger sister, on the other hand, is quite compassionate, and every problem is a crisis. Dad (mid 90's) fell in the bathroom (thread on that in Prayer/Praise) and my oldest younger sister thinks I should jump on a plane and get there (Ohio) right away. My youngest younger sister thinks I should wait til she talks to the doctors this evening and assesses the situation.

OVER ALL, however, this confirms something I've seen in ministry. We are all "gifted" differently, and have different talents and abilities. We react differently. I have seen where those with the gift of mercy, for example, get frustrated because those with the gift of discernment or prophecy don't rush to help, and are seen as "lacking compassion".

Personally, I think I used to be much less "compassionate" - and more "evangelistic" - and over the past 10 years or so have become more "pastoral".

How bout you? Where do you think you fit? Do you see yourself as compassionate, and get frustrated at those who are not? Do you see yourself as "rational", and get frustrated at those who are "into drama"?

Calm polite discussion, please.
                      I find myself very much leaning towards the 'Cold-Hearted' territory. It's not that I'm some soulless monster, I just loathe melodrama (whether it comes from friends, family, or coworkers) and being required to do something IMMEDIATELY IF NOT SOONER... like rush someplace or take sides in a spat.
                      Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                        I find myself very much leaning towards the 'Cold-Hearted' territory. It's not that I'm some soulless monster, I just loathe melodrama (whether it comes from friends, family, or coworkers) and being required to do something IMMEDIATELY IF NOT SOONER... like rush someplace or take sides in a spat.
                        So, out of curiosity, where are you on the "spiritual gifts" issue? Do you know what your spiritual gift(s) is(are)?

Comment

There is a place for every personality. That is why believers are referred to as a body. Each part enhances the others in it's own way, and without all the parts, it doesn't work so well. All the parts compliment one another and fill in the blank spaces that each part on it's own is lacking.

Mary and Martha of Bethany are good examples of this. Martha is the practical, "let's get things done, we've got all these people to feed, Lord!" one, and Mary is the more sentimental gentle-hearted one who would rather sit and listen to the Lord than do anything else.

Sometimes we are each of us a little bit of one or the other at any given time.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

So, out of curiosity, where are you on the "spiritual gifts" issue? Do you know what your spiritual gift(s) is(are)?
                            How would you go about discovering these gifts?
                            "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                            -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            I support the :
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              There is a place for every personality. That is why believers are referred to as a body. Each part enhances the others in it's own way, and without all the parts, it doesn't work so well. All the parts compliment one another and fill in the blank spaces that each part on it's own is lacking.

Mary and Martha of Bethany are good examples of this. Martha is the practical, "let's get things done, we've got all these people to feed, Lord!" one, and Mary is the more sentimental gentle-hearted one who would rather sit and listen to the Lord than do anything else.

Sometimes we are each of us a little bit of one or the other at any given time.

Yeah, and sometimes we "save" each other from ourselves.

My secretary has the gift of mercy, no doubt, and would give away the store when she hears a sob story.
                              I have often had to step on and 'save her from herself' as she would dig into her own purse to give money to somebody who, to me, was an obvious scam.

We need each other, and to respect each other's roles in the body.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X