PDA

View Full Version : I Want a Job NOW

Teallaura
05-26-2015, 08:13 PM
I don't want assistance, I want to work. It'll be another week before the SPR committee meets and who knows when they will get to interviewing - the job I want most is the youth pastor position. Yeah, I know, sounds like I just want anything but I really think I can make a difference with that one. They've hired two guys straight out of college and the program hasn't grown at all. Total lack of continuity and entirely too much emphasis on events (they think they need a combo of event planner/baby sitter and oh yeah, throw in some prayer and stuff. Ugh - so wrong) - I can do the stuff no college kid can - I know how to chair committees and get different groups working together which is what it takes to get a coherent program. Our program can't be a rehash of other programs - most of which are insufficient anyway - if you want real sustained growth. You've got to add value from both the POV of the kids AND the parents (wait, this will look good on a resume - Junior, get in the car). Two hard working college kids have tried and failed. Let's try a grown up.

But in the meantime I'm broke, about to lose everything and fighting a battle with depression (winning, but that's God's doing not mine). I just want a job. I finally have a computer of my own and I'm making a dean in applying - but dang it, I need a job NOW.

:argh:

Tired of crying and feeling unwanted (yeah, it's just a feeling) - I want to work.

I need to post a ton of stuff to Etsy but doubt I can (don't think there's anything in that bank account). Can't afford to go to the Shriner's weekly yard sale (don't have the money). Have enough cat food for tomorrow.

:rant: This has gone on way too long as it is. Tired of it!!!!!

Thank you for your kind attention. This rant has been brought to you by the Letter F for Frustration and the Number Green.

Irate Canadian
05-26-2015, 08:21 PM
:hug: & :pray:

Teallaura
05-26-2015, 08:28 PM
:hug: Thanks

DesertBerean
05-26-2015, 08:37 PM
:pray:

Teallaura
05-26-2015, 08:53 PM
:hug: Thanks, DB

mossrose
05-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Been praying, Laura, and will continue. Hang in there, darlin'.

:hug:

Teallaura
05-26-2015, 11:42 PM
:hug: Thanks

Cerebrum123
05-27-2015, 06:36 AM

Teallaura
05-27-2015, 10:56 AM
:hug: Thanks, Cere.

Jedidiah
05-27-2015, 01:54 PM
We still be loving you, girl.

Teallaura
05-27-2015, 02:03 PM
:hug: Thank you.

Truthseeker
05-27-2015, 02:24 PM
Kim Komando wrote that there are 3 businesses you can conduct through the Internet.

Teallaura
05-27-2015, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I've learned that I stink at marketing. But that hasn't stopped me from trying - and won't.

Thanks, TS.

Truthseeker
05-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I've learned that I stink at marketing. But that hasn't stopped me from trying - and won't.

Thanks, TS.Could be that you have not studied The Art of Selling Anything by Harry Browne
http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Selling-Anything-Harry-Browne-ebook/dp/B00M19W20Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432850663&sr=8-1&keywords=browne+selling

Teallaura
05-28-2015, 06:58 PM
:eh: And you expect me to buy that?

Okay, so maybe I'll check it out on ILL... :ponder:

Truthseeker
05-28-2015, 07:49 PM
:eh: And you expect me to buy that?

Okay, so maybe I'll check it out on ILL... :ponder:I'm not certain what your attitude is as expressed here. Did I offend you in any way?

Teallaura
05-28-2015, 07:51 PM
I'm not certain what your attitude is as expressed here. Did I offend you in any way?Nah, I'm being funny - or trying to.

Selling and marketing aren't precisely the same thing - but I will check it out if I can get it. I can't afford to buy it right now.

Truthseeker
05-29-2015, 02:46 PM
Nah, I'm being funny - or trying to.You have to beware of using humor in selling. The Volkswagen company used to do comedy quite well, and there's the GEICO critter, but those are not just printed words. Just words with humor can backfire.

Selling and marketing aren't precisely the same thing - but I will check it out if I can get it. I can't afford to buy it right now.Yes, that's so, but I think you are supposed to say you couldn't sell instead of "couldn't market."

Thoughtful Monk
05-29-2015, 04:40 PM

Teallaura
05-29-2015, 05:56 PM
You have to beware of using humor in selling. The Volkswagen company used to do comedy quite well, and there's the GEICO critter, but those are not just printed words. Just words with humor can backfire.

Yes, that's so, but I think you are supposed to say you couldn't sell instead of "couldn't market."
1) Yep.
2) Huh? Marketing is the problem - the selling is pretty easy once I get people introduced to the product. :shrug:

Teallaura
05-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Thanks, TM.

Truthseeker
05-30-2015, 07:49 PM
1) Yep.
2) Huh? Marketing is the problem - the selling is pretty easy once I get people introduced to the product. :shrug:Your definition of marketing, please.

Teallaura
05-30-2015, 08:46 PM
Presenting the product to the market as opposed to selling which is an exchange with a buyer

Truthseeker
05-31-2015, 03:45 PM
Presenting the product to the market as opposed to selling which is an exchange with a buyerI may be wrong, but I think your definition is unusual. Harry Browne's book on the art of selling would be, instead, the art of marketing, if we are to follow your definition? ? ?

Teallaura
06-05-2015, 05:01 PM
So, been hitting the bricks. Nada so far. Tried the Career Center - great, they told me to do what I'd been doing. Nice list of possible employers/job sites, though.

LostSheep
06-05-2015, 05:02 PM

Irate Canadian
06-05-2015, 05:08 PM
So, been hitting the bricks. Nada so far. Tried the Career Center - great, they told me to do what I'd been doing. Nice list of possible employers/job sites, though.

Still :pray:ing.

Do you mind writing a list of your "soft" skills and "hard" skills?

Teallaura
06-05-2015, 06:27 PM
Er, okay - assuming I understand you.

Microsoft Office including Word and Excel

Website Design (Template) and Maintenance

Excellent Organization Skills

Experience Designing and Making Presentations for Adults, Youth and Children

Experience Planning, Organizing and Implementing Events including Health Screenings, Office Celebrations and Historic Re-creation Events

Chair of Area Nine HIV/AIDS Community Planning Group

Chair of State HIV/AIDS Direct Care Organization

Assistant for By-laws Committee HIV/AIDS State Community Planning Group

Thoughtful Monk
06-07-2015, 04:18 PM