PDA

View Full Version : Itchy Spot

Teallaura
05-30-2015, 07:07 PM
I have a spot on my back that itches very frequently. Doesn't correspond to anything I can tell - it will itch just as badly after I've scrubbed the heck out of it. Tonight it's itching and the area is bigger. This has been going on for more than a year - maybe a couple. I never think to ask the doctor but it's really annoying.

Truthseeker
05-30-2015, 07:44 PM
Did you google "chronic itching"? If not, here's a link http://www.niams.nih.gov/News_and_Events/Spotlight_on_Research/2014/chronic_itch.asp

Scrawly
05-30-2015, 07:48 PM
I would add: "see the doctor for itchy spot" to your do-to list.

Teallaura
05-30-2015, 08:06 PM
I would add: "see the doctor for itchy spot" to your do-to list.Can't - not until I manage 'get a job'.

Teallaura
05-30-2015, 08:11 PM
Did you google "chronic itching"? If not, here's a link http://www.niams.nih.gov/News_and_Events/Spotlight_on_Research/2014/chronic_itch.asp
Interesting. thanks.

Scrawly
05-30-2015, 08:39 PM
Can't - not until I manage 'get a job'.

You can still add it to the list in the meantime, so you don't forget for next time. :smile:

Catholicity
06-03-2015, 08:53 AM
Try putting eucerin or Vaseline pruritis is a pain or an itch... Eesh. My favorite for chronic itch is a pea sized amount of lanolin which numbs the nerves and moisturizes then add some medicated powder like Johnson's baby with zinc oxide.

Teallaura
06-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Try putting eucerin or Vaseline pruritis is a pain or an itch... Eesh. My favorite for chronic itch is a pea sized amount of lanolin which numbs the nerves and moisturizes then add some medicated powder like Johnson's baby with zinc oxide.
I'll give them a try. Thanks! :smile:

Truthseeker
06-04-2015, 02:27 PM
To the readers who may be concerned that petroleum jelly may be too toxic,
try shea butter instead.

Teallaura
06-05-2015, 02:41 PM
I'm not sure what kind of contortionist you two think I am. :eh: Pea sized, nothing - I can't reach it to be that precise. But I'll still try it when I can.

Thus far medicated powder alone is mildly effective, I think.

Everything else requires buying stuff (can't yet). :shrug:

FYI: the area isn't dry in appearance and has none of the

Catholicity
06-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Vaseline or petroleum jelly is about a dollar for a tub at dollar general or family dollar. Just get the generic.

Teallaura
06-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Vaseline or petroleum jelly is about a dollar for a tub at dollar general or family dollar. Just get the generic.I know - and will. But I can't yet. Yeah, really.

Teallaura
07-01-2015, 09:13 PM
So, I tried the medicated powder but it wasn't much help. Tried foot powder which did pretty good for a while but now it isn't doing quite as well.

Catholicity
07-02-2015, 02:20 PM
The menthol in foot powder tends to help. Do you have Vicks Vaporub? The moisture may help and the cooling effect of the menthol.

Teallaura
07-02-2015, 06:13 PM
The menthol in foot powder tends to help. Do you have Vicks Vaporub? The moisture may help and the cooling effect of the menthol.I can get some - gonna be interesting getting it on... :sigh:

:smile: Thanks!

Catholicity
07-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Hey teal.....if you can get a photo of the itchy spot and post it to me via facebook or pm on tweb, I could probably tell you what might be needed.

In the mean time: Use powder free and clear detergent (All works best) Use a dust free kitty litter (we use fresh step) And clean all bed linens and vacuum the snot out of the mattress and the floor. If cats haven't done too much destruction in the house (as in if you've ever watched animals take over a house) make sure the boxes stay cleaned and usable so that the floor is able to be kept clean. Which reminds me I have dust and need to vacuum. and cat hair. Nothing else on the floor, just dust and probably cheerios.

Teallaura
07-03-2015, 03:54 PM
:shrug: I can try to get a pic - it'll be next week (I don't have a big enough mirror at home). But honestly, I can't tell any difference in the skin around the area.

I've never heard of an allergen that affects only one localized area. Kitties have only once been on the bed and that was a couple months and multiple changes ago.