Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Bee Brains on Aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bee Brains on Aluminum

For a critter that only lives six weeks, it just doesn't seem fair....

Sputnik News explains that, for their study on bees' decline, Exley and Goulson took bee pupae (the "bag" larvae form before turning into fully grown bumblebees) from naturally foraging populations in the UK, then analyzing it for aluminum levels, as it had been already found that they don't avoid eating nectar with high levels of this metal.

The results were staggering, possibly shedding some light into the bees' decline crisis: these pupae were found to be highly contaminated with the metal, and individual contents went from 13 to 200ppm; in fact, 3 ppm could be potentially harmful to human brain tissue, and so the excessive amount on bees could prove an important factor in their decline over the past years.

http://www.foodworldnews.com/articles/20800/20150606/bees-decline-aluminum-caused-alzheimer-s-might-be-killing-insects.htm
    Comedy aside, it is interesting.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Rachel Carson’s book ‘Silent Spring’ is now 53 years old.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Carson's book sparked a movement that directly resulted in the deaths of over one million people. Unintended consequences come both ways.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Carson's book sparked a movement that directly resulted in the deaths of over one million people. Unintended consequences come both ways.
        How so?
        Oh I see what you've been reading:
        http://www.forbes.com/sites/henrymil...dly-fantasies/
        Last edited by firstfloor; 06-08-2015, 05:19 PM.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Nah, I'd read refutations of Carson years ago. I specifically had the Sri Lankan disaster in mind - more than a million dead in five years. Miller's cites estimates of 10's of millions.

Thanks for the link!
          Last edited by Teallaura; 06-09-2015, 08:01 PM.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X