Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Employee sues employer over gender harrassment at workplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee sues employer over gender harrassment at workplace

A former catering worker who identifies as neither female or male is suing Bon Appetit Management Co. for $518,000, claiming co-workers referred to the employee as a female though repeatedly being asked to stop.

Valeria Jones alleges in a lawsuit that co-workers repeatedly called Jones “miss,” “lady” and “little lady” despite explanations that Jones “was not a female or a male and that the term was unwelcome.”

Workers also directly said Jones looked like a woman and made female celebrity comparisons, the suit states.

The lawsuit, filed this week in Multnomah County Circuit Court, says Jones preferred to be addressed by a general neutral pronoun. The suit doesn’t identify the term
    The suit seeks $18,682 in lost wages and benefits, and $500,000 for humiliation and suffering.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...ee_sues_f.html

"it" is a greedy idiot.

Comment

well, good luck trying to get another job.

Comment

That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Let's take a marginalized group, promote an instance where someone is suing for a huge sum, and further marginalize the group.

Comment

Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
            Let's take a marginalized group, promote an instance where someone is suing for a huge sum, and further marginalize the group.
            It's primarily because the particular "marginalized group" is one that is in disfavor amongst certain sectors of the political spectrum that have a heavy representation here (politically conservative). If the person had bee a member of a politically favorable "marginalized group," the rally of support would doubtless astound us all.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Sailer
              that the structure of the dominant contemporary mindset means that with the triumph of gay marriage, a need will be felt for a new front in the elite culture war on average people, with "transgenderism" (a catch-all phrase for a variety of complaints) the most likely salient.
              The best part is, you don't even actually have to have disfiguring gender-reassignment surgery to cash in on the trend, as long as you're willing to make a scene for the cameras and lawyers:

Jones began working in March 2013. When Jones filled out an application, Jones left blank a question asking about male or female identification. Management didn’t question the omission.

During the next few months, Jones spoke with managers about the problem -- asking them to address employees as a group and present to employees information about gender identity. The managers didn’t follow through.

Plaintiff cried regularly at work and at home during this time,” the suit states.
              I have a very sneaky suspicion this was a case of "the vagina was real, but please don't draw any conclusions from its existence, as my feelings on it are the most important thing." $518,000 worth of importance, to be exact.

She may be a mere pioneering opportunist, but the real money and attention in these things gets made in the long cons and the more shameless members:

McCloskey and Conway set out to systematically demonize anybody who had ever said a good word about Bailey (and, boy, are they ever systematic -- Simon Baron-Cohen could have a field day with their output). Their work was picked up and spread by the Southern Poverty Law Center, which has used its crusade against "hate groups" to become the most lucrative hate group in America. This might sound strange, but it really isn't: after all, McCloskey and Conway are much smarter than most SPLC staffers, and also much more masculine -- thus, the flavor of their witchburning fervor is notably different from that of the women and dweeby dudes out to get Larry Summers or James D. Watson. Meanwhile the SPLC leadership is cunning about sniffing out the coming wave of money-making opportunities.
              Rope, tree, etc.
              Last edited by mossrose; 02-10-2014, 01:55 PM.

Comment

some of the comments are interesting. For example, could one of the former employees also counter-sue for the non gendered person entering one of their bathrooms. It sounds like the person did not want to be called he or she but didn't offer an alternative. The name was Valeria, the face was iffeminate, the people who might have called her 'miss' without being foretold of her preference to not be associated with gender would naturally be caught off guard. Could she have been more understanding of such people? Or is there more to the story.

Comment

Originally posted by princesa View Post
                  some of the comments are interesting. For example, could one of the former employees also counter-sue for the non gendered person entering one of their bathrooms. It sounds like the person did not want to be called he or she but didn't offer an alternative. The name was Valeria, the face was iffeminate, the people who might have called her 'miss' without being foretold of her preference to not be associated with gender would naturally be caught off guard. Could she have been more understanding of such people? Or is there more to the story.
                  I doubt Valeria failed to give them a pronoun alternative, but in defense of the store management and co-workers, those are difficult to remember. A lot of our gender identification skills are instinctual, almost reflexive. We respond with the visually appropriate pronoun before we have a chance to think and remember the preferred pronoun.

Don't get me wrong, I am sympathetic with Valeria's situation. However, I do not see this lawsuit as being the best way to resolve the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by princesa View Post
                    The name was Valeria, the face was iffeminate, the people who might have called her 'miss' without being foretold of her preference to not be associated with gender would naturally be caught off guard. Could she have been more understanding of such people?
                    Political correctness is a war on noticing things. The notion that anyone from a designated oppressed group should ever have to be understanding of the average person is absolutely anathema to the Volunteer Auxilary Thought Police. The members of the Designated Victim Groups are sacred objects, not to be offended in any way.

The discourse with such high priests must also be appropriately elevated, using higher terms and punctuation:

Originally posted by Dr. V, con artist
                    I have no issues as long as the following protocols are followed because of my association with classified documents,” she wrote. “Allow me to elucidate; I have the benefits under the freedom of information act the same privileges as federal judges, my anonymity is my security as well as my livelihood,[very much true, the Left hates having its sources exposed] since I do numerous active projects … If the aforementioned is agreeable to you, please respond to this communique at your convenience so we can schedule our lively nuncupative off the record collogue.
                    But no, leftism is certainly not a substitute for religion, and definitely not a means for nonproductive people to engage in social bullying and other verbal gymnastics in lieu of actual talent or hard work, definitely not.
                    Last edited by mossrose; 02-10-2014, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Since neither the edit tags nor the notice tags are working, I am letting you, Epo, officially know, in this post, that the word you used is unacceptable here at Tweb.

Do not use it again. You may use the entire word, "transvestite", but not the shortened word.

We allow you all sorts of leeway here, but you can only push the envelope so far.
                      Last edited by mossrose; 02-10-2014, 02:15 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

In case anyone is curious about preferred terminology (i.e. the kind that isn't a verbal slap for those to whom it's applied):

transgender person
                        trans person
                        trans woman (identifies as a woman, despite being assigned male gender when young)
                        trans man (identifies as a man, despite being assigned female gender when young)

Not preferred but not horribly offensive forms:

transgendered person (because it's an identity not a historical event)
                        a transgender (as a noun instead of an adjective)

Similar to the last category, but still acceptable in the context in scientific literature:

a transsexual

Horribly offensive:

Anything else, really.

Not quite the same:

transvestite (this is an older fashioned word for cross dressing, which people can do without identifying as the gender they're dressing as)

Comment

Thank you, sea. I appreciate the correction, as I am quite behind the times for correct terminology.

Epo (and everyone) is free to use any of the accepted words.
                          Last edited by mossrose; 02-10-2014, 03:29 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The female employees have a better position for countersuit since she (her preferences do not constitute requirements on the parts of anyone else - that confuses courtesy with morality) used their restroom. Having a person of undisclosed gender creates a hostile enviroment in a necessary part of the work environment (we gals may go to the restroom in herds - but they're all girl herds! Having men in the lady's room is disquieting and offensive - occasionally even dangerous - and that same can be reasonably said of those refusing to identify their gender. Disquieting to say the least) hence she creates a hostile work environment for the female employees.

It's an unreasonable requirement to force employees to comply with what many (probably most) view as an unnecessary, ridiculous and offensive requirement (dehumanizing someone by using pronouns reserved in English for things is offensive - and so is trying to force me to do so). In a sane court, this thing gets laughed out; but given the locale, this is probably the first in a long line of litigation for this idiot thing.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
                              Sounds like a plan to me.
                              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment