Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Question about Hackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Hackers

Hi, I was checking for my email address online out of curiosity as my origin account was hacked several months back (not fun). Anyway I came across a hackers site that has lists of origin accounts that my account was on with the old password as well as hundreds of others. I have reported it to origin. However I was wondering could the hackers now have my Ip and can hack me directly now or will I be safe? Is there anything I need to do?

Originally posted by Luv1another View Post
    Hi, I was checking for my email address online out of curiosity as my origin account was hacked several months back (not fun). Anyway I came across a hackers site that has lists of origin accounts that my account was on with the old password as well as hundreds of others. I have reported it to origin. However I was wondering could the hackers now have my Ip and can hack me directly now or will I be safe? Is there anything I need to do?
    unless you're paying your ISP for a static IP (and you would know if you were) the chance of that being able to happen is extremely slim.
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Thanks Raphael, I just have the normal Telstra broadband so hopefully I am fine, I have also just done what someone reccomended to me at the time it happened and made another email account just for Games.

Comment

Thanks Raphael, I just have the normal Telstra broadband so hopefully I am fine, I have also just done what someone reccomended to me at the time it happened and made another email account just for Games.
        A lot of email providers allow you to have alias addresses. So you only have to have one account, but other email addresses that "point to" the one email address.

I use these a lot when I sign up for something - then if I get a bunch of spam, I know where it's coming from, and can just delete that alias.

In fact, for most of my logins, I have a unique "throw away" alias address.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's probably not your fault. Lot of databases have been breached, and hence the hackers have the passwords. Even if they did have they did have your I.P, most hackers don't go after personal computers. If you change your password you should be fine.
          "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
          -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          I support the :
          sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X