Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Honey bee swarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honey bee swarm

Just a couple hours ago I got a call from a young lady who had a swarm from her hive. First time in several years I have had such a call. I met a whole group of beginning Mormon beekeepers.

I managed to rescue the swarm and get it into a new temporary home. I will go back tomorrow to help get things squared away. The squaring away is just details which would not mean much to a non-beekeeper so I will not go into it. Sunday afternoon recreation.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      Just a couple hours ago I got a call from a young lady who had a swarm from her hive. First time in several years I have had such a call. I met a whole group of beginning Mormon beekeepers.
      Are you in the phone book as a bee swarm squaring away guy? Or was this word of mouth because people know you're a bee guy.

I managed to rescue the swarm and get it into a new temporary home. I will go back tomorrow to help get things squared away. The squaring away is just details which would not mean much to a non-beekeeper so I will not go into it. Sunday afternoon recreation.
      I'm interested, if you don't mind going into it. I find this fascinating. I might wanna get into the bee business when we move.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Are you in the phone book as a bee swarm squaring away guy? Or was this word of mouth because people know you're a bee guy.
        Our association (bee club) is listed with the police and fire department and who knows who else. Plus we have a web site that lists our service. My assistance is purely voluntary, though this went hard for the folks I was helping. I agreed to take some peaches tomorrow when I go to check things out.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I'm interested, if you don't mind going into it. I find this fascinating. I might wanna get into the bee business when we move.
        These folks were all new beekeepers with no idea what to do. The swarm had settled in a nearby tree and they had been spraying it with a water mist to fool the bees into thinking it was raining (not the thing to do). We set up a temporary hive from some honey supers (boxes normally shallower than what are referred to as brood boxes. The poor wet bees seemed to have settled in when we found two different virgin queens on the outside of the temporary home. We were not able to capture them at the time, though later the beekeeper managed to get one into a cage. Tomorrow I will look through both hives to see if they are queenright (that is have a queen or queen cell). The virgin will be put into a hive if there is on hive in one of them. If not I will take her for another beekeeper I have awaiting news of a queen since she has a newly queenless hive and no queen cells.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Our association (bee club) is listed with the police and fire department and who knows who else. Plus we have a web site that lists our service. My assistance is purely voluntary, though this went hard for the folks I was helping. I agreed to take some peaches tomorrow when I go to check things out.

These folks were all new beekeepers with no idea what to do. The swarm had settled in a nearby tree and they had been spraying it with a water mist to fool the bees into thinking it was raining (not the thing to do). We set up a temporary hive from some honey supers (boxes normally shallower than what are referred to as brood boxes. The poor wet bees seemed to have settled in when we found two different virgin queens on the outside of the temporary home. We were not able to capture them at the time, though later the beekeeper managed to get one into a cage. Tomorrow I will look through both hives to see if they are queenright (that is have a queen or queen cell). The virgin will be put into a hive if there is on hive in one of them. If not I will take her for another beekeeper I have awaiting news of a queen since she has a newly queenless hive and no queen cells.
          Thanks, yeah... interesting.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I was going to say, I know little about bee keeping but umm the misting didn't sound smart. I am curious about bee keeping myself from the standpoint of If I could ever do it when the kids are grown and gone I'd sure love the fresh honey from a hive or two, but I really know nothing. BTW, can we move this to Animal Husbandry?
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Moderated By: rogue06

Thread moved to Animal Husbandry

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
              Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I intended to start in Animal Husbandry. Where did I actually start it?

Comment

Applied Protology; only reason it was a big deal was because that's a restricted area.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Applied Protology

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                      I was going to say, I know little about bee keeping but umm the misting didn't sound smart. I am curious about bee keeping myself from the standpoint of If I could ever do it when the kids are grown and gone I'd sure love the fresh honey from a hive or two, but I really know nothing. BTW, can we move this to Animal Husbandry?
                      Read books on it. Read all the books you can find on the subject. Then find someone local who can mentor you. You can learn a great deal about beekeeping in books, but hands on teaching is the best bet. If you don't like chemicals in your honey, find a mentor who does not use them. They are not necessary for a hobbiest with only a few hives.

My best advice . . . don't wait till the kids are gone. Start as soon as they can be allowed a bit of time not under constant surveillance. Kids find honeybees very interesting. When I lived in Eagle River surrounded by a neighborhood kids used to come around when ever I worked my bees. One little girl got her own bees one year. Another young man approached me some years later telling me how much he appreciated the whole business. Honey or no, it is lots of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Applied Protology
                        I can not imagine why I would start it there. Must of been a mistake. I been taking lessons from a good friend on TWeb who shall remain nameless.

Comment

I can not imagine why I would start it there. Must of been a mistake. I been taking lessons from a good friend on TWeb who shall remain nameless.
                          I figure that there is no need to name any names when initials will do. CP

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Applied Protology
                            At least it wasn't in Applied Proctology...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              At least it wasn't in Applied Proctology...

You really needed your gloves for that one......

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X