Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Dogs are EXCELLENT Judges of Character!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs are EXCELLENT Judges of Character!

This morning I needed to go to the County Commissioner's office to check on the latest planning map relative to a highway coming through our neighborhood, and how that affects my home sale.

I accidentally went to the County Constable's office instead - they're next door to each other, and I wasn't paying attention. The Captain of the Constable's office takes his dog, Sadie, to work with him. Sadie is a big Huskie, and I saw her laying on the floor near the receptionist's desk. I reached down to pet her, and the receptionist quickly snapped "no, don't.......", but Sadie rolled over on her back and let me scratch her belly. The receptionist seemed pretty surprised.

Then Glenn, the Captain of the Constables, asked me to come back to his office, because he remembered me from my Pastor days in another town. We had a good talk, then he kinda smiled and said, "where's Sadie?" (He was sitting at his desk, I was across his desk from him) I said, she's laying on my feet. Glen smiled and said, "I always knew you were a good guy - she only does that to really good people".

OK, so I'm tooting my own horn, but seriously.... do you believe dogs generally have this ability to discern "good people"? And, I think a lot of this incident had to do with the way Glenn interacted with me - he pretty much was signalling to Sadie by the way that he interacted with me that I was a friend.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I think that there's possibly something to this. One of our three dogs, Sandy, is a Thai BangKaew - known for their concern for their owners and guarding instincts.

My wife had three ex-workmates of hers visit our home one day, and Sandy ignored two, but one woman she bailed up on our outdoor table downstairs. Sandy wouldn't let her down, and my wife had difficulty physically restraining her. That woman was not exactly a friend of my wife's, more of a workmate who would backstab and steal credit for work.

Sandy had never met her before, but took an immediate dislike to her. But maybe dogs just pick up on our body language, tone and physical reactions to the point where they know who we like and don't like, even when us dumb humans don't see it. I think I read somewhere that a dog can tell if it's (epileptic) owner is going to have a fit before the person themselves can.

Tl;dr

Dogs are cool, especially if their owners are cool people and train them well.
    ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
      I think that there's possibly something to this. One of our three dogs, Sandy, is a Thai BangKaew - known for their concern for their owners and guarding instincts.

My wife had three ex-workmates of hers visit our home one day, and Sandy ignored two, but one woman she bailed up on our outdoor table downstairs. Sandy wouldn't let her down, and my wife had difficulty physically restraining her. That woman was not exactly a friend of my wife's, more of a workmate who would backstab and steal credit for work.

Sandy had never met her before, but took an immediate dislike to her. But maybe dogs just pick up on our body language, tone and physical reactions to the point where they know who we like and don't like, even when us dumb humans don't see it. I think I read somewhere that a dog can tell if it's (epileptic) owner is going to have a fit before the person themselves can.

Tl;dr

Dogs are cool, especially if their owners are cool people and train them well.
      Well Max, you and I may disagree on most things but at least we're in agreement about dogs. We too have a Thai Bangkaew, an eight year old called Bang which we've had since he was a puppy. He's very loyal and affectionate and an excellent guard dog. But he also has some people he treats as enemies...particularly the pool-man who seems a perfectly decent guy, but he refuses to enter the property unless Bang is tied up for fear of attack.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

I think we can agree that Huskies are evidently terrible judges of character...

....thinking CP was a good guy, I mean

Comment

While currently poochless if any of my dogs ever growled at or acted afraid of someone upon meeting them that person had two strikes against them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

0000000000dp.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Sandy 2 Feb 2015.JPG

Sandy, as a puppy. She's about 20kg now, nearly full grown.

Comment

I like cats.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I think dogs can sense a person's attitude and whether they are a threat to their owners.

Of course some dogs, like people, are complete nut cases and will attack anything that moves.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    I think dogs can sense a person's attitude and whether they are a threat to their owners.

Of course some dogs, like people, are complete nut cases and will attack anything that moves.
                    Yes, Darth Puddinghead, we had a wonderful German Shepard who was afraid of everyone. She only ever made up with one friend of ours, a local cop. Everyone else was an enemy. We were always afraid she was in danger of being a fear biter.

Funny thing, she was 7 months old when we adopted her. She was super friendly when we went to check her out. On the way home we stopped to pick up a crate for her, she needed a space of her own. My wife went in to the store to pick up the crate and Nessie and I waited outside. As people walked by she wanted to go visit everyone who came by.

We got home and my grand daughter, who lived in our mother inlaw apartment with her mother, came over to visit. Everything was great. But now Nessie settled in and decided "this is my pack" now I have a home. My daughter did not come by for several days due to work schedule. She was not part of the pack and it was literally months before even a token acceptance took place. She was always a second class citizen in Nessie's eyes. Never could figure out what might have happened to her before be got her that could cause this - if anything.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

My 7-year old black lab is a real ladies man. He has his own Facebook profile where he flaunts his encounters with many of our female guests. He gets more hugs, kisses, and snuggles than anyone I've ever seen! Not bad for someone who eats live lizards every chance he gets!

More seriously, there are some people he makes a big deal over when they arrive, and others he is kinda meh about. Young children and women who smell like other dogs are his favorites. He's definitely more assertive with men who are dog-lovers, preferring to bowl them over than just slurp their cheeks.
                      sigpic
                      "...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                        Yes, Darth Puddinghead, we had a wonderful German Shepard who was afraid of everyone. She only ever made up with one friend of ours, a local cop. Everyone else was an enemy. We were always afraid she was in danger of being a fear biter.

Funny thing, she was 7 months old when we adopted her. She was super friendly when we went to check her out. On the way home we stopped to pick up a crate for her, she needed a space of her own. My wife went in to the store to pick up the crate and Nessie and I waited outside. As people walked by she wanted to go visit everyone who came by.

We got home and my grand daughter, who lived in our mother inlaw apartment with her mother, came over to visit. Everything was great. But now Nessie settled in and decided "this is my pack" now I have a home. My daughter did not come by for several days due to work schedule. She was not part of the pack and it was literally months before even a token acceptance took place. She was always a second class citizen in Nessie's eyes. Never could figure out what might have happened to her before be got her that could cause this - if anything.
                        That's Puddinhead. No G. and it's bacon puddin too!

Comment

Originally posted by JardinPrayer View Post
                          My 7-year old black lab is a real ladies man. He has his own Facebook profile where he flaunts his encounters with many of our female guests. He gets more hugs, kisses, and snuggles than anyone I've ever seen! Not bad for someone who eats live lizards every chance he gets!

More seriously, there are some people he makes a big deal over when they arrive, and others he is kinda meh about. Young children and women who smell like other dogs are his favorites. He's definitely more assertive with men who are dog-lovers, preferring to bowl them over than just slurp their cheeks.
                          My dog, a schnauzer just barks at anyone coming into the house, while steering clear of them. Then he goes and lays down on the couch after he has told them off.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            That's Puddinhead. No G. and it's bacon puddin too!
                            My apologies for the misspelling.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              My apologies for the misspelling.
                              Apology accepted. Now send me a jar of your best honey and we can forget this embarrassing incident.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X