Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Alternative Medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Medicine

Alternative medicine is a broad category of treatments that range from (1) the largely innocent (i.e. nutritional supplements, herbal remedies, diet changes, avoiding certain chemicals, etc) to (2) the pseudo-scientific (i.e. homeopathic remedies) to (3) the spiritually compromising (i.e. treatments based largely on eastern religions).

So what would you gather is the Christian approach to alternative medicine? Does 1 Corinthians 8 come into play at all (or are there other applicable verses that you can think of)? Have you had any encounters with the alternative medicine market? Is there anything you think should be forbidden, is merely a matter of conscious, or is completely acceptable?

All truth is God's truth, and no food is unclean except that which we make unclean (Romans 14), and we are not to call unclean what has been made clean (Acts 10).

If 1 or 2 work, praise God. If 3 works, and is contrary to what we know of God through the Scriptures, then it is by human magic, or demonic activity. Suffer not a witch to live, and cast out demons.
    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Do you know what they call alternative medicine that works?

Medicine.

And I do not know the origin of that saying.
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Do good things that we know are good for our bodies. Don't put bad things in your body if you expect good results. This is honoring to God.

As for the other stuff, as long as it doesn't pull you away from Christ, use moderation and pray about it I guess. That's pretty broad.
        Visit my website! I have cookies. http://www.amyelizabethatkins.com

Comment

Thespia! Good to see you!
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post

Medicine.

Thank you. There is no such thing as "alternative medicine." If it works it is just medicine.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Thank you. There is no such thing as "alternative medicine." If it works it is just medicine.
              Okay, this is silly. She evidently means the medical practice which is itself often referred to as 'modern medicine' hence the professional distinction 'alternative medicine'. And merely because it works doesn't make it particularly good medicine - mercury will hold syphilis in check but only an idiot would argue for the return of its use.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Alternative medicine can also provide an effective placebo.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  So can modern medicine.

Really guys, she asked a fair question that seems valid enough to me. Could you wait to skewer her until after she can get her own avatar?

Hi Paula - don't mind them. We forgot to give them their wheaties yesterday. I can't answer you questions because I really don't know enough about it.

Okay, I'll quit spamming your thread now... probably...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    So can modern medicine.

Really guys, she asked a fair question that seems valid enough to me. Could you wait to skewer her until after she can get her own avatar?
                    I'm not being critical of her or her question at all.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I'm not being critical of her or her question at all.
                      My bad then. I thought you were equating 'alternative medicine' with 'placebo'.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Thank you everyone for replying. I've gotten a lot of thoughtful comments that have given me food for thought so much appreciation all around. Sorry I didn't respond immediately but I wanted to see what everyone had to say.
                        Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                        Medicine.
                        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        I certainly agree that medicine does validate itself by its effectiveness. However, the term "Alternative medicine" is a recognized category for a broad field of treatments and practices that are thought to be beneficial but aren't founded on established science. This can mean anything from untested herbs to complete medical systems such as ayurveda that contradict science.

I do admire pragmatism but as a Christian I feel there are other concerns. Not all, but some of these practices are based on worldviews that are antithetical to Christianity. So far the consensus seems to be that as long as it isn't spiritual poison it's okay.
                        Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                        All truth is God's truth, and no food is unclean except that which we make unclean (Romans 14), and we are not to call unclean what has been made clean (Acts 10)...
                        Good point--the universe is God's creation after all so nothing that has been created is inherently evil.
                        Originally posted by Thespia View Post
                        Do good things that we know are good for our bodies. Don't put bad things in your body if you expect good results. This is honoring to God...
                        I certainly can see the wisdom in that. The body isn't some afterthought from God--it is important.
                        Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        ... And merely because it works doesn't make it particularly good medicine - mercury will hold syphilis in check but only an idiot would argue for the return of its use.
                        Very good point about mercury and syphilis (I didn't know that one). I was thinking more of the dangerous spiritual implications of some of the treatments but there are physical ramifications. Some alternative medicines can be detrimental either because the person in question didn't seek conventional treatment or because the very practice itself is harmful. And it can be difficult in some respects to determine this because there isn't any objective research to consult.

That's something I've suspected--that alternative medicine often taps into the placebo effect. Or the person simply gets better by doing nothing (that old joke about how with treatment a cold will only last seven days but left by itself it will linger for a week).

Often alienation drives the market for alternative medicine. The way people are sometimes treated by their doctors and the medical community leaves much to be desired, especially for chronic illnesses. Alternative medicine can be empowering and attitude can have an enormous effect on healing.
                        Last edited by Paula; 08-12-2015, 09:33 PM.

Comment

I would agree with rogue. I have a very strange digestion problem that I've had for over a decade, and seeing medical professionals has done nothing for me. In fact, the last time I saw a gastroenterologist he told me he couldn't help me.

So I've been trying alternative medicine, stuff that would fall under your (1) and (2). No luck so far, but we'll see. I suspect I may just have to live with it permanently.
                          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                            I would agree with rogue.
                            No good can ever come of that

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              I would agree with rogue. I have a very strange digestion problem that I've had for over a decade, and seeing medical professionals has done nothing for me. In fact, the last time I saw a gastroenterologist he told me he couldn't help me.

So I've been trying alternative medicine, stuff that would fall under your (1) and (2). No luck so far, but we'll see. I suspect I may just have to live with it permanently.
                              I feel for you--chronic conditions can be difficult to treat. I hope whatever it is you are trying does eventually help.

And I certainly agree that doctors don't always know how to treat medical issues. This in fact is something I've heard before regarding the whole debate on alternative medicine--that while conventional medicine is great for treating acute or life-threatening conditions it isn't as effective when confronted with hard to treat chronic problems. Now I am unsure if this is because the implementation of medical care is faulty or if we just haven't developed that many effective treatments for chronic illnesses.
                              Last edited by Paula; 08-13-2015, 07:48 PM.

Comment