Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Red Wasps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Wasps

OK, I learned a few things about Red Wasps today while replacing a rotted soffit on the front of my house ....

Red Wasps will frequently move into places where wood has rotted, and a hole is available to enter.
    Red Wasps, once "at home", do not like visitors.
    Red Wasps stick together and fight as a team.
    When standing on a ladder pulling at rotted wood, be prepared for a huge swarm of Red Wasps to come out with a single mission.
    Jumping from the top of a ladder into bushes, particularly the sego palm type, can be quite painful.
    Getting stung by a Red Wasp on your ear lobe and IN your ear can be incredibly painful.

And that's what I know so far, about Red Wasps.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Ouch!!!
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      OK, I learned a few things about Red Wasps today while replacing a rotted soffit on the front of my house ....

Red Wasps will frequently move into places where wood has rotted, and a hole is available to enter.
      When standing on a ladder pulling at rotted wood, be prepared for a huge swarm of Red Wasps to come out with a single mission.
      Jumping from the top of a ladder into bushes, particularly the sego palm type, can be quite painful.
      Getting stung by a Red Wasp on your ear lobe and IN your ear can be incredibly painful.

They actually are manageable in the evening or when it's cold. Not that it helps you now...

Feel better soon!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Look on the bright side. You've learned to only do that once.......

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Being from Dallas myself, I know all about getting stung by these little turds. When I worked with a tree crew as a helper I think I got stung by every damn hornet, bee or wasp in the state. The trick is to understand that wherever there is water or cool surfaces there is a good chance of paper wasps making a home. Also, remember that due to their sense of heat, they will attack dark colors since dark colors absorb heat in the summer time.

Comment

This is all why I don't go outside.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

It's seventy below where you live. That's why you don't go out. You can't.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Knowing CP he just might go out and try it again just to be sure his conclusions are correct.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  They actually are manageable in the evening or when it's cold.
                  You're telling me I need to wait til February?

Not that it helps you now...

Feel better soon!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Yes, now my son-in-law gets to learn. But at least I gave him some Cliff's notes.

Comment

Try six or seven at night. They are the most docile and will all be home for you to spray.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                        Try six or seven at night. They are the most docile and will all be home for you to spray.
                        That's what we do when we have to deal with paper wasps. And Mr. mossy gets all dolled up in his winter coat and gloves and balaclava just in case.

We don't know what the neighbours think........

Since we replaced our wood fence with chain link 3 years ago we have very little problem with paper wasps.

Comment

You're, like, a Jedi Master or something now! I'll bet you can be their overlord now. Get back up on that ladder and command them into a herd of pigs!
                          sigpic
                          "...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

Comment

If I want to do this myself, where do I find the instructions?

Comment

Try a tiki torch and let the smoke put them night night. then spray and pull the dead suckers out.
                              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X