Announcement

Collapse

Rec Room Guidelines

In the Rec Room we share jokes, interesting stories, and speculate about trout's manties. Serve up some Spam in many different flavors and sizes, and just take some time off from study and have fun.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Should my co-worker watch "Event Horizon?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should my co-worker watch "Event Horizon?"

For the past three years, I've attempted to convince a co-worker to watch the 1997 movie Event Horizon. This co-worker has thus far refused to watch the film on the grounds that it's a work of evil. However, I say (in the words of a certain ditty) "without evil there could be no good so it must be good to be evil sometimes."

What say ye?
    Yes
    100.00%
    Affirmative
    0.00%

Originally posted by I am Ivo, hear me roar View Post

What say ye?
    Bacon.

What else needs be said?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'd say no on the grounds it's a stupid movie.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Bacon.

What else needs be said?
        You can always say bacon again. Or better yet, you could just eat it.

Comment

*note, the title should read "should my co-worker. . ."

Comment

*note, the title should read "should my co-worker. . ."
            bacon

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So far, 100% of the votes favor my co-worker watching Event Horizon

Mossrose's post doesn't count since what she said wasn't one of the poll options

Comment

Actually, it doesn't become a stupid movie until the last third, when another director obviously hijacks the film. Up to that point, it's one of my favorites in the genre...though I'm not sure which genre this neatly fits into. So, because it gets pretty rough near the end, I vote no. I know my vote doesn't count in your poll, Ivo, but there it is!

imdiscovered this film before I was a Christian, when horror and sci-if were my world. Today, were I viewing it for the first time, I seriously doubt I'd connect with it in the same way. If your co-worker is already feeling evil vibes, I say leave it alone. Switch to harassing her about Cher records or something!
                sigpic
                "...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

Comment

Originally posted by JardinPrayer View Post
                  Actually, it doesn't become a stupid movie until the last third, when another director obviously hijacks the film. Up to that point, it's one of my favorites in the genre...though I'm not sure which genre this neatly fits into. So, because it gets pretty rough near the end, I vote no. I know my vote doesn't count in your poll, Ivo, but there it is!

imdiscovered this film before I was a Christian, when horror and sci-if were my world. Today, were I viewing it for the first time, I seriously doubt I'd connect with it in the same way. If your co-worker is already feeling evil vibes, I say leave it alone. Switch to harassing her about Cher records or something!
                  Ouch. Now that's evil!

Comment

Originally posted by JardinPrayer View Post
                    Switch to harassing her about Cher records or something!
                    Who says it has to be either/or?

Comment

Dark lady laughed and danced and lit the candles one by one...
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

There is a scene in Star Trek Voyager where they go into the psyche of a vulcan and it uses scenes from Event Horizon
                        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

So far, 100% of the votes favor my co-worker watching Event Horizon

Mossrose's post doesn't count since what she said wasn't one of the poll options
                          I can fix that.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I vote "maybe". I saw it in the theater when it came out, and thought it had a lot of potential, but I'm also a fan of Paul W. S. Anderson (yes we do exist); In my book he's a poor man's John Carpenter (which is saying something).

If she likes Lovecraftian horror, or is a bit of a horror nut then, yeah, she might dig it. There's some scenes in it that are really freaky, but at some point Anderson didn't know when to leave well enough alone. If you can find it, there's a decent fanedit of the film that cuts away some of the rough edges, and makes it a bit more enjoyable. I'd have her watch that instead, or better yet, have her watch the far better Lovecraftian horror film, also starring Sam Neill, directed by the real deal, Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                              There is a scene in Star Trek Voyager where they go into the psyche of a vulcan and it uses scenes from Event Horizon
                              For real? That's...unexpected.
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment