Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jan Markell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan Markell

So my Dad enjoys listening to Jan Markell, a Jewish Christian who has a discernment ministry podcast. Has anyone heard of her? She has guests on every episode talking about one controversial topic or another: the emerging church, the peace treaty with Iran, International House of Prayer, etc. They are prettymuch always promoting a DVD or some other material through her podcast. She seems to be on the extreme right and has an emphasis on eschatology.

To me, some of her episodes seem very useful, like the Social Justice episode about how the emerging church forgets about the gospel in trying to find social justice. But a lot of what she has to say sounds very sensational and absolutist. I admit that sometimes I listen to her just for the crazy factor. What outrageous thing will she say next?

But I also haven't really researched the guests or sources for her information, so I don't know what to think about what she has to say. Is it twisted? Is it at least based on fact in some way or form?

Anyone listen to her? Heard of her? What do you think?
    sigpic

I've not heard of her, but I'm generally leery of self-professed discernment ministries. Mostly because the ones that I've seen are "Loose Cannon for Christ," types that go witch-hunting (where a 'witch' is anyone who disagrees with them).

ETA: Having given her stuff a quick skim, my suspicions may be confirmed. Will do more looking later.
    Last edited by Chaotic Void; 08-09-2015, 09:38 PM.
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
      I've not heard of her, but I'm generally leery of self-professed discernment ministries. Mostly because the ones that I've seen are "Loose Cannon for Christ," types that go witch-hunting (where a 'witch' is anyone who disagrees with them).

ETA: Having given her stuff a quick skim, my suspicions may be confirmed. Will do more looking later.
      Um, CV, wouldn't that be true of any one in a seriserious debate or dispute? I mean you wouldn't expect a witch hunt where they agreed...
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        Um, CV, wouldn't that be true of any one in a seriserious debate or dispute? I mean you wouldn't expect a witch hunt where they agreed...
        "Discernment ministries" generally refer to websites that do little other than condemn other Christians with little, if anything, positive to say of their own.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Ah, that would be the kind I would avoid, yes.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
            You shouldn't necessarily expect a witch-hunt where someone disagrees either. Calling someone out for openly denying the Trinity? Yes please. Calling for a pastor's head on a platter because he's not a Futurist? That's just dangerous.

Comment

Ah, gotcha.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post

Have you done any more looking around since this post?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by heartablaze View Post
                  Have you done any more looking around since this post?
                  I've read a few articles on her site (Located here, as well as an article or two that she's cataloged, and googled a couple folks whose books she recommends.

Yeah, my suspicions were confirmed. I didn't find much on various groups, aside from the usual Anti-Catholic diatribes and the passive-aggressive, "If they don't have the same focus as I do, they're lukewarm." She and her associates seem to have an all-too-common unhealthy focus on End Times, 'Murican Values, and conspiracy theory type stuff that I see all too often on the internet (especially when I have friends who post stuff like this on Facebook all the time).

Comment