Announcement

Collapse

Pro-Life Activism 301 Guidelines

This area is for pro-life activists to discuss issues related to abortion. It is NOT a debate area, and it is not OK for pro-choice activists to post here.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why I'm not a Fan of the "Rape and Incest" Exception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I'm not a Fan of the "Rape and Incest" Exception

Allrighty, so many of you have seen or even advocated the belief that abortion should be permissible in cases of rape and/or incest.

Yes, I still consider you Pro-Life, hence why I've got this thread in the Pro-Life Activism. As far as I'm concerned, this is an internal discussion that needs to be had so I don't want the Pro-Abortion yokels mucking up the thread.

That being said... I'm not convinced that's the proper way to go about things.

Yes, I realize that it's not an easy burden for the mother to bear for a woman to have the kid of her rapist, and heaven help any !$$!^$!%#@$! (Use your Imagination here kiddos. This is supposed to be Tweb Appropriate) who tries it with any of my daughters. Here's the thing: The kid's a victim of circumstance. It's not their fault their sperm donor was a scumbag, so why should they have to suffer for what they've done?

I think instead we should be providing counseling and support for the women in these circumstances. Pregnancy centers should involve counselors that are properly trained for dealing with these situations. I realize that isn't a guarantee, but I think it's preferable to making an exception for rape and incest.

PS... Also, there's the potential Lovecraftian Can of Horrors that we'd be opening if we're expecting the "Rape/Incest" exception to be enforced, but I'd rather start this thread on a less speculative note.
    Last edited by Chaotic Void; 08-11-2015, 07:03 PM.
    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

I had a young lady in my youth group several years ago who was the child of a rather violent rape. She often spoke to her peers about the issue and asked them if they really believed she shouldn't have been given the right to live. It really becomes a different conversation when the child can be seen.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I'm not a fan of the argument, but I understand why it exists. then again I despise abortion in general. I also despise politicians who minimize the heartbreak of a woman who suffers sexual violence on both sides.
      Ok done.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
        PS... Also, there's the potential Lovecraftian Can of Horrors that we'd be opening if we're expecting the "Rape/Incest" exception to be enforced, but I'd rather start this thread on a less speculative note.
        I also wonder why we should murder an innocent baby because of the sin of the father (sperm donor). The only reason I would accept such a legal exception would be to get the vast majority of abortions outlawed. To get an exception for rape I would require that the rape be reported immediately, at least withing 24 hours, to prevent an accusation of rape a month down the line in order to make an abortion possible, Yes I am opening the "Lovecraftian Can of Horrors" because I believe that such a horror would indeed ensue such an exception being allowed.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I too think it is wrong to kill a baby, no matter what it's father or mother did. It is innocent and deserves a life.

Comment

Dare I say that bearing a child might be a healing experience? I don't know, of course, because I've never had one or been raped. But the mothers I've know that did have children come out of unwanted circumstances love their babies all the more, and they seem to be glowing and full of wonder. Could this idea be entertained? It certainly is counter-cultural, where children are seen to be "in the way" of the mom's life. I'm guilty of that, too, by the way.
            Visit my website! I have cookies. http://www.amyelizabethatkins.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              I also wonder why we should murder an innocent baby because of the sin of the father (sperm donor). The only reason I would accept such a legal exception would be to get the vast majority of abortions outlawed. To get an exception for rape I would require that the rape be reported immediately, at least withing 24 hours, to prevent an accusation of rape a month down the line in order to make an abortion possible, Yes I am opening the "Lovecraftian Can of Horrors" because I believe that such a horror would indeed ensue such an exception being allowed.
              (Emphasis mine) You and me both, Jed. That's why I brought it up, even though I barely want to comprehend how such exceptions would be enforced in practice. Do we allow them to have an abortion right away? They'd have to, given how slow the justice system can work (unless rape/incest cases get prioritized in which case I feel sorry for victims of any other crime)... but then what do you do if you find out the person has filed a false report?
              Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Allrighty, so many of you have seen or even advocated the belief that abortion should be permissible in cases of rape and/or incest.

Yes, I still consider you Pro-Life, hence why I've got this thread in the Pro-Life Activism. As far as I'm concerned, this is an internal discussion that needs to be had so I don't want the Pro-Abortion yokels mucking up the thread.

That being said... I'm not convinced that's the proper way to go about things.

Yes, I realize that it's not an easy burden for the mother to bear for a woman to have the kid of her rapist, and heaven help any !$$!^$!%#@$! (Use your Imagination here kiddos. This is supposed to be Tweb Appropriate) who tries it with any of my daughters. Here's the thing: The kid's a victim of circumstance. It's not their fault their sperm donor was a scumbag, so why should they have to suffer for what they've done?

I think instead we should be providing counseling and support for the women in these circumstances. Pregnancy centers should involve counselors that are properly trained for dealing with these situations. I realize that isn't a guarantee, but I think it's preferable to making an exception for rape and incest.

If taking the life of an innocent human being without just cause is morally wrong, (and it is) and the unborn are innocent human beings (and they are) then it is morally wrong to abort the unborn even in the case of rape and incest. The life of the mother is a rare reason for abortion. We have advanced so much medically that abortion to save the life of the mother is all but zero.

If a man rapes a woman and she becomes pregnant, the woman and her doctor cannot just go over to the rapist and kill him. That's murder and he's the bad guy here. It's the same in the case of incest. You can kill the offender of the crime.

And yet the pro-abortion advocates argue for the right to kill the innocent unborn. Apart from saving the life of the mother, there is no justification for abortion. Ever.
                Faith is not what we fall back to when reason isn't available. It's the conviction of what we have reason to believe. Greg Koukl

The loss of objectivity in moral thought does not lead to liberation. It leads to oppression. Secular ideologies preach liberty, but they practice tyranny. — Nancy Pearcey

Comment

(Emphasis mine) You and me both, Jed. That's why I brought it up, even though I barely want to comprehend how such exceptions would be enforced in practice. Do we allow them to have an abortion right away? They'd have to, given how slow the justice system can work (unless rape/incest cases get prioritized in which case I feel sorry for victims of any other crime)... but then what do you do if you find out the person has filed a false report?
                  If rape is not filed until pregnancy is discovered it does not count as an abortion permitting case of rape. That is why I would require that a rape must be reported in a verrrry timely manner. Maybe up to 48 hours even.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

It's getting toward bedtime so I didn't have a chance to read the whole thread. That said, I support one limited case for victims of incest and that is when the child is so young the pregnancy would be risky for both and runs a high risk of disability for the girl. It's not the baby's fault, of course. It's also not the fault of the baby bearing the child.

I hasten to add that I am not advocating a default. Every case should be evaluated on its own merits.
                    Last edited by Teallaura; 08-12-2015, 09:10 PM.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      It's getting toward bedtime so I didn't have a chance to read the whole thread. That said, I support one limited case for victims of incest and that is when the child is so young the pregnancy would be risky for both and runs a high risk of disability for the girl. It's not the baby's fault, of course. It's also not the fault of the baby bearing the child.

I hasten to add that I am not advocating a default. Every case should be evaluated on its own merits.
                      If completing the pregnancy puts the pregnant girl at a huge health risk, yes, I agree. The life of the mother should be considered first.
                      Faith is not what we fall back to when reason isn't available. It's the conviction of what we have reason to believe. Greg Koukl

The loss of objectivity in moral thought does not lead to liberation. It leads to oppression. Secular ideologies preach liberty, but they practice tyranny. — Nancy Pearcey

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Zoom View Post
                        If completing the pregnancy puts the pregnant girl at a huge health risk, yes, I agree. The life of the mother should be considered first.
                        Unless the mother decides otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          Unless the mother decides otherwise.
                          Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Then that would be a life of the mother exception, not a rape/incest exception.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I was thinking... if there ever was a legitimate reason to kill the fetus(the baby has to get out now or both mom and baby die and the baby can't survive in the NICU yet), at least do it humanely! Like, deliver in one piece and let some one hold the dying baby. Don't rip the baby to pieces or suck the brains out or poison the baby or burn the baby alive with saline! Animals are killed more humanely.
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X