Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Going to College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to College

I just wanted to check in and let you all know that I've been gone, and likely will be missing for a few weeks because I am about to transition from being a 20 year old fastfood worker living with my father, to a Bible College student living 8 hours drive away from my hometown, friends, family, and church. This is my first time moving, and it has been very stressful getting everything in order, while waiting for God's timing. I just learned of my acceptance this past Wednesday, and I just learned today that I'm leaving in less than a week (through two separate friends driving me 4 hours each), on this upcoming Friday, and I will be staying in a friend of a friend's home until I move into the dorm (which still hasn't contacted me to confirm that I have a room, only informed me what day and time the students who have rooms move in).

I do not very strongly want to attend this school, and I only selected it because I believe I've beel called to attend it, and almost every Godly person in my life have either encouraged me to a school, or this school specifically.

I did not meet their GPA requirement, but they accepted me before my transcripts even arrived in the mail. Every step along the way, there has been a difficulty, which I'm attributing to a demon, because I've never done something that seemed so easy that has turned out so hard, but God and His people around me have continually told me that this is what I need to do..

(And there's a couple other things that have been relieving my stress, so far three of my friends who have told me they are called to ministry have confided that God has more fully shown them how it's going to look, one of them had stopped saying he was even called for a while, and this has been greatly encouraging. My church just got a new Youth pastor [I was a leader in Youth] and I trust him to do right by the students. Our Children's Pastor is due in 4 weeks, and I was the one who was going to pick up a lot of her slack before this, but she's lined some people up to help instead already for until she gets back from maternity leave. All of these things were causing me some worry, but now they're settling in a way I'm comfortable with)

And lastly, I may or may not preach on Wednesday night to the Youth, something I've wanted to do for years, but only requested permission for a few weeks ago, and the pastor likes the sermon I've prepared, but wants to pray about whether or not I should speak solo, with him, or not until I come back on a visit. I am not worried about this because I know him to be a Spirit led man, and if I'm to speak then I will, and it doesn't bother me if I don't.

This is supposed to be a praise report, I'm obeying God when I don't particularly want to, and I'm glad His will is overcoming mine, and that despite my doubts everything is coming together

Prayer would still be nice though!

I might have missed something (feel free to ask after a specific, I will make time for this thread if need be), sorry if this seems more like a blog post, but I know some of you would be interested, and I know I want people to thank God with me for His provisions.
    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Wow, this great, Pent!

I will be praying for you, and encouraging you! God Bless!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Pente, very encouraging story! Will be praying for you.
      3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Ok, update time! The move was successful, I'm now in the dorms, and start class on Tuesday, my friend who drove me up gifted me with more than $150 worth of school, and dorm supplies. My hosts were really nice people and I hope to see them again soon, I didn't really realize it but they have a daughter near my age, so if I was in their shoes I would have maybe been more concerned about welcoming in a strange young man, but they treated me very hospitably. I have already had some theological disagreements with some other students, because I am a classical Pentecostal, and most students I've spoken to are more Third Wave Pentecostal, so I'm considered more conservative than most, and the institution itself emphasizes the Fivefold Ministry, which I reject but do not condemn in accordance with the A/G positional paper on the topic.

Today I visited a Southern Baptist church plant meeting at a nearby college at the suggestion of a dorm mate who has it as his home church. It was vastly different from the Baptist church my cousins go to in Georgia, and equally unappealing (sorry CP! ), it wasn't bad but I was personally uncomfortable with the way some things were done, and won't be coming back. I will probably visit another two or three churches and if I don't find a home church among them, I'll begin using public transportation to get to my sisters home church 20 mins away or so (by far), which I visited last Sunday, and was comfortable at.

Oh, and my friend the Children's Pastor gave birth to a wonderful baby girl.
          Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Hello! I have found a home church where I'm plugging into the Youth group, I'm already running media for them haha . I am doing well physically, spiritually, and academically.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
              Hello! I have found a home church where I'm plugging into the Youth group, I'm already running media for them haha . I am doing well physically, spiritually, and academically.

Fantastic, Pent! Give 'em Heaven!!!!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                Attaboy! We're proud of you!

We need a noogie smilie...
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment