Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Ingrown Toenail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ingrown Toenail

So I think I've got an ingrown toenail, but what's frustrating about it is that the nail isn't obviously ingrown anywhere; my toe is just swollen and very tender. I've been soaking it in epsom salt and trying to pull the nail at the sides above the skin, but it really doesn't look ingrown, other than the swelling.

Any recommendations?
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    So I think I've got an ingrown toenail, but what's frustrating about it is that the nail isn't obviously ingrown anywhere; my toe is just swollen and very tender. I've been soaking it in epsom salt and trying to pull the nail at the sides above the skin, but it really doesn't look ingrown, other than the swelling.

Any recommendations?
    see a doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      see a doctor.
      I was really hoping to be able to do something about it at home. Is there anything I can do?
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I used to have ingrown toenails decades ago until the podiatrist fixed the problem. But in addition, the toenails occasionally dug into the skin and caused an infection, even when it wasn't ingrown. I remember on occasions the doctor showed e\me how to jam some cotton between the toenail and the skin until the infection went away. It was sore, but it worked.
        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          I was really hoping to be able to do something about it at home. Is there anything I can do?
          Trim away as much of the corner of the toenail as possible and put some antibiotic ointment on it. If it is really sore, you might need to numb the area before digging in and trimming the nail. You could try an ice pack, or that stuff you spray on warts to freeze it, but be careful with that stuff, it could make things worse.

But seeing your doctor is probably the best way of finding out what is happening and fixing it. Especially if it is infected.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X