Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

How to Read the Bible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Read the Bible

Do you read it differently when you feel down? Go to a particular book.

I haven't read the entire bible. Have you? Any order?

Do you ever look at it and feel overwhelmed like you don't know where to start. Then you start and the bookmark remains for a while. This may be due to lifestyle, busyness, exhaustion, knowing you'll be interrupted , chores etc...

I think it's crucial to be disciplined in reading even when you don't particularly feel like it. I would love to have the desire to. How do you get 'desire' to read it I wonder.

I've read several books, most NT, and have read them a few times, but never in any disciplined order. I love Ecclesiastes, I kept nodding my head 'yes!', everything is vanity really.

Originally posted by princesa View Post

Do you ever look at it and feel overwhelmed like you don't know where to start. Then you start and the bookmark remains for a while. This may be due to lifestyle, busyness, exhaustion, knowing you'll be interrupted , chores etc...

I think it's crucial to be disciplined in reading even when you don't particularly feel like it. I would love to have the desire to. How do you get 'desire' to read it I wonder.

I've read several books, most NT, and have read them a few times, but never in any disciplined order. I love Ecclesiastes, I kept nodding my head 'yes!', everything is vanity really.
    It's good to have some sort of plan for reading the whole Bible so you don't just hit your favorite parts repeatedly. The strict order of the 66 books is probably not the best for a first read-through at least. It can help to approach the Bible with "I want to find about X" rather than just "I probably ought to read more Bible." What does the Bible, as a whole, say about getting along with your family? About money? About forgiveness? About helping people outside your immediate circle? About what happens when people die? And so on.

It can also help to take notes. What is this book of the Bible about? How does its approach differ from other similar books in the Bible? What's a one sentence summary of this particular chapter, and how does it relate to the message of the particular book in which it's found?

Really what you need is a reading partner to bounce things off of. You've said before that your local Roman Catholic church doesn't have a lot for you in that department, and I hope God brings someone into your life to help fill that need. In the meantime, you could use an online resource like one of these:

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/...-and-slackers/
    http://www.biblegateway.com/reading-plans/
    http://about.esvbible.org/resources/reading/

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
      It's good to have some sort of plan for reading the whole Bible so you don't just hit your favorite parts repeatedly. The strict order of the 66 books is probably not the best for a first read-through at least. It can help to approach the Bible with "I want to find about X" rather than just "I probably ought to read more Bible." What does the Bible, as a whole, say about getting along with your family? About money? About forgiveness? About helping people outside your immediate circle? About what happens when people die? And so on.

It can also help to take notes. What is this book of the Bible about? How does its approach differ from other similar books in the Bible? What's a one sentence summary of this particular chapter, and how does it relate to the message of the particular book in which it's found?

Really what you need is a reading partner to bounce things off of. You've said before that your local Roman Catholic church doesn't have a lot for you in that department, and I hope God brings someone into your life to help fill that need. In the meantime, you could use an online resource like one of these:

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/...-and-slackers/
      http://www.biblegateway.com/reading-plans/
      http://about.esvbible.org/resources/reading/
      thank you. Good point on how I should approach it. I think, my reason for wanting to approach it, at this time, is more emotional (to fill an emotional void, seeking assurance, wisdom) than interest in learning specific areas. Oddly enough, it's that same reason I'm not reading it with a clear head and it may be fruitless...also there is no point throughout my day where I am not constantly interrupted. (even now, 3 times I was interrupted!)

Thank you so much for the links, I look forward to going through them.

Comment

I have read all of it a couple times, but I am mostly a NT guy.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I've read 72 books I still prefer the 72 canon. Even if I go to the Baptist Church.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

How to read the Bible: front to back, left to right, top to bottom.
            For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              I've read 72 books I still prefer the 72 canon. Even if I go to the Baptist Church.
              So of the 73 books of the Catholic Bible canon, which one is it that you are not counting, and why?
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by The Remonstrant View Post
                How to read the Bible: front to back, left to right, top to bottom.
                I recommend the below to all the women in your life. Tell her I said hi.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...he-Kings-Table

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                  So of the 73 books of the Catholic Bible canon, which one is it that you are not counting, and why?
                  that was an accident.
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'm now trying out a new way - I just downloaded the ESV Bible for Kindle. (Why ESV? Because it was free.)
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Yes I read the Bible differently when I feel down. I usually read a lot of condemnation out of it.

I've probably read the whole Bible but not in sequence. Most neglected section for me is the Minor Prophets.

I've had a desire to read parts of the Bible at times. For example, I remember for awhile God really wanted me to read Romans 1-9.

Its probably good to be with a regular Bible reading group.

I like Ecclesiastes, too. My favorite book is 1st John.
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by princesa View Post

The first time I read through it, I used one of the 'Read the Bible In a Year' Bibles that have daily passages that include 1 OT, 1 NT, 1 Psalm and 1 Proverb.

Now I just try read through it one book at a time, usually meditating on what I read for a while.

I believe that the more often that you set time apart to spend with God through reading His word, the more you will desire to do it, simply because you will be enriched.

Comment

I have been feeling a lot more enthusiasm for reading it lately, particularly since I purchased N.T. Wright's New Testament translation which is very accessible without feeling like it's treating me like I'm dumb. Naturally I've been reading a lot of Paul. Lots of instruction there for daily life which is what I've felt I've needed lately, but I also started Luke the other day.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                          "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                          Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment