Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Alaska State Fair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska State Fair

The Alaska State Fair opened today. For the next two Saturdays I will be at our Southcentral Alaska Beekeepers Association educational and display booth. We have live bees and beekeepers to talk about keeping bees, and about bees in general. We also have all the honey and other bee products entered into competition in the fair this year.

Come on out, or for most of you come on up.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Did your bees do well this summer, GJ?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

No way! It's cold up there!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Did your bees do well this summer, GJ?
        The bees did well for themselves, but my honey crop was half or less what it averages. We had a beautiful summer for people, warm and dry. Even mosquitoes were not a problem except for a couple weeks when we got a little rain. The dry, however, meant little nectar in the blossoms and so little honey for the hive. But I am much more interested in the bees than in honey. I do need to sell honey to pay for my habit however. The year when that is needed may be coming to an end soon.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

No way! It's cold up there!
          80 degree (around 27 Canadian degrees) plus days, though that has ended now. My area has hovered around 60 degrees (around 16 degrees Canadian) these days. Warm enough for me. I will warn you it usually is cool and wet during the fair. Does not stop Alaskans (and even tourists) from flocking to the fair.

Comment

We have had an extremely hot and dry summer as well. The leaves have been turning yellow and dropping since July. Our little plum tree that gave us so many plums last year that we were knocking on neighbours doors to give them away, and was loaded with blossoms in the spring, has only produced about 2 dozen plums this year.

So many counties around us have had to declare agriculture disasters because of the dryness.

Jed, do you supplement the bees with food when there is a shortage of nectar?
            Last edited by mossrose; 08-28-2015, 10:21 AM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Its been wet in Kansas, so wet its nearly been disastrous for Kansas crops. And dry everywhere else. Its weird. I love this amount of rain.
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

We have had an extremely hot and dry summer as well. The leaves have been turning yellow and stopping since July.
                Translation: It's been nearly 80 degrees (about 26 celsius) for several days in a row so that even the snow in the shaded areas has melted.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

send me some honey Jed.

Comment

We have had an extremely hot and dry summer as well. The leaves have been turning yellow and dropping since July. Our little plum tree that gave us so many plums last year that we were knocking on neighbours doors to give them away, and was loaded with blossoms in the spring, has only produced about 2 dozen plums this year.

So many counties around us have had to declare agriculture disasters because of the dryness.
                    That is agriculture alright. Sorry situation.

Jed, do you supplement the bees with food when there is a shortage of nectar?
                    I never have had that happen yet. I live close to a wet area so even in a dry year there is something for the bees. If it got so bad I had to feed during the "nectar flow" I would not be able to harvest salable honey.

Comment

Sorry, I have taken it all out to the Fair to sell in our Co op there. Usually I just put out a sign and people come to the door. Not so many this year, and the Fair is a bit later than usual. So . . . I'll see what happens after the fair.

Comment

Back out to the fair tomorrow.

Comment

l am considering submitting an entry this year.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            l am considering submitting an entry this year.
                            catburgers?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              catburgers?
                              No, pirate dogs. I happen to know where I can get one.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X