Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christian Necrophobes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian Necrophobes

Grim-Reaper.jpg

"There is death because of the fall of mankind."

Let's talk about death some more.

The above quotation is from a Christian I know who said she's not afraid of death, but that everyone who's not a Christian *is* afraid because they fear being judged by a holy God. I can list many people, from gay teens who committed suicide to soldiers to high-wire walkers without a safety net, who didn't have a fear of death. So maybe the Christians who claim that all non-Christians fear death really just mean "some"? They'll have to clarify.

I contend that some Christians who can't process the fact that God, if he exists, invented death are themselves fearful of death and probably converted for that shallow reason. Some, not all.

To help them grow, I'd like for this thread to delve into the many consilient lines of evidence proving that death originated eons ago.

To clarify; are we asserting that the existence of suicide is proof that death is not universally feared? Even the Bible itself portrays a few people as committing suicide (Zimri and Judas come to mind), for what it's worth. And I'd agree that not everybody is afraid of death, but I don't think that a few exceptions disprove what could be a general principle.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]9218[/ATTACH]

"There is death because of the fall of mankind."

The above quotation is from a Christian I know who said she's not afraid of death, but that everyone who's not a Christian *is* afraid because they fear being judged by a holy God. I can list many people, from gay teens who committed suicide to soldiers to high-wire walkers without a safety net, who didn't have a fear of death. So maybe the Christians who claim that all non-Christians fear death really just mean "some"? They'll have to clarify.

I contend that some Christians who can't process the fact that God, if he exists, invented death are themselves fearful of death and probably converted for that shallow reason. Some, not all.
      Well, it's pretty clear that fear of death motivates religious belief in many people. For example:

"No Atheists in Foxholes: Motivated Reasoning and Religious Belief"
      static.squarespace.com/static/5014cf5ce4b006ef411a1485/t/5044073ce4b0991b726a57f1/1346635580839/
      "Recent research has focused on motivational bases of political ideology. It is plausible that similar factors may drive the formation of religious ideology. Though explanations of the existence of religious beliefs in terms of their satisfaction of psychological needs date back centuries, limited empirical research exists linking motivated reasoning to religious belief. I thoroughly review existing research on the role of motivation in the formation of religious belief systems, specifically research related to the relationship between fear of death and afterlife belief. Then I present the results of two original, experimental studies investigating the hypothesis that fear of death leads to greater religious belief. In Study 1, participants who were asked to write short essays about death reported greater belief in an afterlife than did participants who wrote essays on a neutral topic. Study 2 replicated this finding and also showed that increased fear of death leads to greater belief in God [emphasis added]. The results of the studies suggest that a more parsimonious motivated reasoning account may explain the relationship between fear of death and afterlife belief better than one based on Terror Management Theory. Taken together, findings support the notion that some religious beliefs can be usefully explained in motivational terms."

To help them grow, I'd like for this thread to delve into the many consilient lines of evidence proving that death originated eons ago.
      Well, they're are numerous fossils from dead organisms that died long before humans existed, and thus died long before any human could have (supposedly) sinned. For example:

"Exceptional soft-tissue preservation in a theropod dinosaur from Italy"
      nature.com/nature/journal/v392/n6674/full/392383a0.html
      "During Albian time (about 113 Myr ago1), deposition of fine marly limestone in a shallow lagoonal environment, affected by cyclic periods of low oxygen levels2, led to exceptional preservation of soft tissue in a juvenile theropod."
      "Instead, we argue, it is necessary to shift the debate from the subject under consideration, instead exposing to public scrutiny the tactics they [denialists] employ and identifying them publicly for what they are."

Comment

Aging and death is a natural and unwelcome process in the nature of existence. The story of the fall was a way to remove what is seen as the evil of death from god and hang it squarely on the shoulders of the created. Unfortunately for believers, death has been around for as long as life has, for humans long before the claimed biblical history of creation and the fall of man, and so has nothing to do with mans disobedience to god 6000 years or so ago. There is really nothing to fear about death itself, since once dead there is no anguish of any kind. So I don't think that fear of death is an accurate way to frame the emotion, its more a fear of losing life. The reason that the christian in the above is not afraid of death, is because she is unable to face up to the fact that death is a fact of life, and so she refuses to believe that she will die.

Comment

I notice all the atheists who claim they are not afraid of death are healthy and alive.

Talk to us again when you are on your deathbed or facing a terminal disease.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            To clarify; are we asserting that the existence of suicide is proof that death is not universally feared?
            No, I bring it up to show it doesn't fit neatly into some Christians' and Muslims' belief that all infidels fear a judgment.

Even the Bible itself portrays a few people as committing suicide (Zimri and Judas come to mind), for what it's worth.
            That's a conundrum for the Christians who've asserted non-Christians fear a judgment.

And I'd agree that not everybody is afraid of death, but I don't think that a few exceptions disprove what could be a general principle.
            In no way did I deny a general principle. The general principle stems from our enhanced contextualization of death thanks to higher cognition. Mammals, in general, like to stay alive. The smartest of mammals, even more so.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I notice all the atheists who claim they are not afraid of death are healthy and alive.

He said, forgetting he was healthy and alive.

Comment

I fear the pain and suffering of dying more than I fear death itself. When you think about it, what is there in death itself to actually fear. Nothing, unless of course you believe in an after life of torture in hell, which I do not. When we are on our death bed, what we really fear is the prospect of losing our lives, which is not quite the same thing as fearing death.

Comment

Actually I am not
                  I have not mentioned this publicly because it is nobody's business, but because of diabetes and some other problems I have end stage liver disease.

Without a transplant I will die, and in the meantime I could die at any moment due to various complications.

I have no fear of death because I know I am saved.

When you face something like me then come and tell me how you are not afraid to die.

So you were saying?

Comment

"and I want to get into that"

To help them grow,
                    Grow, thread, grow!

Anybody else notice the similarities?
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's quite some conclusion jumping, Whag.... perhaps you should inquire before snarking.

Just sayin
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Actually I am not
                        I have not mentioned this publicly because it is nobody's business, but because of diabetes and some other problems I have end stage liver disease.

Without a transplant I will die, and in the meantime I could die at any moment due to various complications.

I have no fear of death because I know I am saved.

When you face something like me then come and tell me how you are not afraid to die.

So you were saying?
                        I'm glad you're at peace, Sparko. My aunt died of a brain tumor at the age of 54 and was at peace until the very end. She wasn't a Christian. Within the last five years, I've lost three friends, a Mormon, a Buddhist, and a very liberal Christian (who you would regard as too liberal). All accepted their fate and died with dignity.

Let's get back on topic now. Death has existed since life has existed. Do Christians who deny this fact ultimately have a problem with God being the inventor of death?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          That's quite some conclusion jumping, Whag.... perhaps you should inquire before snarking.

Just sayin
                          Sparko originally said "I notice all the atheists who claim they are not afraid of death are healthy and alive." That was a jumped-to conclusion, as he actually noticed no such thing.

Just sayin'.

Comment

Sparko originally said "I notice all the atheists who claim they are not afraid of death are healthy and alive." That was a jumped-to conclusion, as he actually noticed no such thing.

Just sayin'.
                            meh

Comment

I'm glad you're at peace, Sparko. My aunt died of a brain tumor at the age of 54 and was at peace until the very end. She wasn't a Christian. Within the last five years, I've lost three friends, a Mormon, a Buddhist, and a very liberal Christian (who you would regard as too liberal). All accepted their fate and died with dignity.

Let's get back on topic now. Death has existed since life has existed. Do Christians who deny this fact ultimately have a problem with God being the inventor of death?
                              Deny what fact?

And the reason there is death is because mankind rebelled against God

But until you are faced with your own death you have no idea how you will react

Are you so sure there is no God that you are willing to bet your life on it?

I am not afraid to die because I know something better than this life awaits me

The best you can look forward is non existence or worse

Comment