Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

I Never Liked Nursing Homes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Never Liked Nursing Homes...

... but I'm seeing something really neat....

We have six nursing homes in town, ranging from "assisted living" (older folks who are really "with it") to.. um... downright near palliative care.

Our Church does a "church service" on the first Sunday of every month in two of the six nursing homes - one at 2:30 and one at 3:30 - so that, in a 3 month time, we've "done Church" in all six nursing homes.

We spend about 15 minutes singing some of the old hymns, then one of my associate pastors does a sermon, then we sing some more.

Some of the residents don't even seem like they're "there". Until we sing. Then it's almost like (sorry, but this is what comes to mind) Weekend at Bernie's. The songs seem to reach inside and turn something on, bringing back memories and even smiles. They don't always seem to "get" the sermon, but they really seem to connect with the music.

This afternoon, we had a lady who looked pretty much "out of it", but when we began to sing some of the old hymns, she "came to life", and sat there "directing" the music, waving her arm in time to the music. I watched her, and I would have to guess she was, at one time, the music leader, or "minster of music" for some Church somewhere, because she was really into it.

They're a blessing. We go there to be a blessing, but they bless us.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

That's fantastic CP!
      3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

What's really neat, LS, is that we have about 10 to 12 folks who commit the first Sunday of the month to this every month, rain or shine.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          ... but I'm seeing something really neat....

We have six nursing homes in town, ranging from "assisted living" (older folks who are really "with it") to.. um... downright near palliative care.

Our Church does a "church service" on the first Sunday of every month in two of the six nursing homes - one at 2:30 and one at 3:30 - so that, in a 3 month time, we've "done Church" in all six nursing homes.

We spend about 15 minutes singing some of the old hymns, then one of my associate pastors does a sermon, then we sing some more.

Some of the residents don't even seem like they're "there". Until we sing. Then it's almost like (sorry, but this is what comes to mind) Weekend at Bernie's. The songs seem to reach inside and turn something on, bringing back memories and even smiles. They don't always seem to "get" the sermon, but they really seem to connect with the music.

This afternoon, we had a lady who looked pretty much "out of it", but when we began to sing some of the old hymns, she "came to life", and sat there "directing" the music, waving her arm in time to the music. I watched her, and I would have to guess she was, at one time, the music leader, or "minster of music" for some Church somewhere, because she was really into it.

They're a blessing. We go there to be a blessing, but they bless us.
          CP....Music is something that connects even with the most deteriorated Alzheimer's patients. It never leaves the brain. But you know....I have to tell you a secret. I like Nursing homes I like AL. Not because of the work, I mean when I was stronger I could deal with fluids and tubes all day, but it was the people who made it worth while. They're lonely and need someone to love them.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Great story. Smells are another thing that triggers memories. Far more than sights and sounds. Maybe fry some bacon next time.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I have seen good nursing homes and bad ones

We have at least two here in town that are really nice with staff that really care

I think that makes all the difference

Comment