Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

"God is Boring and Church is Stupid"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "God is Boring and Church is Stupid"

I found this piece by Peter Enns (quite the character) to be worth sharing:

http://www.peteenns.com/god-is-borin...s-of-a-parent/

This is why a more complete theology of heaven is important. It reminded me of a conversation I had with a non-Christian the other day where they thought the Christian idea of heaven was horrific and a recipe for eternal boredom or worse. Randy Alcorn and N.T. Wright have been doing a lot of good work in emphasizing the notion that the New Jerusalem is going to be on a new earth and a place of fruitful fulfillment (and where we will have work to do).
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
      I found this piece by Peter Enns (quite the character) to be worth sharing:

http://www.peteenns.com/god-is-borin...s-of-a-parent/
      I don't understand what you see him, or why you keep reading his material. I read his post as just another gripe about the church with no answers offered.

His last line leaves us with nothing, "At the end of the day the parents decide how their children’s time is best spent. I blame no one, but I do have my regrets. I also believe God transcends our regrets." I mean, what's that supposed to offer his readers?

Why didn't he go to a church where he was getting fed, where he was involved, and where his family was involved? Why did he continue attending the same church that bored the heck out of him, his wife, and his child? I mean, if there's one thing we don't lack in America it's the number of churches in a single community. Surely there was one church that met his spiritual and psychological needs.

The guy is such a bummer. The things I've read from him, I honestly don't know how you can remain that liberal and continue to accept the Gospel message.
      Last edited by Adrift; 09-08-2015, 03:56 PM.

Comment

The universe is awesome. How can the Creator of the universe be boring?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I don't see it as an issue of how liberal he is but rather that he seems uninterested in offering a way forward in most of his writings/postings that I've read. If you think a traditional position is wrong, fair enough, make your case... but offer an alternative, otherwise you're needlessly rocking people's faith.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            I don't understand what you see him, or why you keep reading his material. I read his post as just another gripe about the church with no answers offered.

His last line leaves us with nothing, "At the end of the day the parents decide how their children’s time is best spent. I blame no one, but I do have my regrets. I also believe God transcends our regrets." I mean, what's that supposed to offer his readers?

Why didn't he go to a church where he was getting fed, where he was involved, and where his family was involved? Why did he continue attending the same church that bored the heck out of him, his wife, and his child? I mean, if there's one thing we don't lack in America it's the number of churches in a single community. Surely there was one church that met his spiritual and psychological needs.

The guy is such a bummer. The things I've read from him, I honestly don't know how you can remain that liberal and continue to accept the Gospel message.
            Thanks for the warning, and I agree with you, which is why I don't accept everything he says uncritically (that applies to pretty much everyone though). He does, however, have insightful things to say and generally speaks with honesty. I think he's worth listening to, and interacting with.

I think we ought to be cautious in possibly becoming too reactionary, and fall into the opposite error.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              The universe is awesome. How can the Creator of the universe be boring?
              I hope He didn't create just one..

Comment