Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Good Praise Music Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Praise Music Recommendations?

I am getting increasingly frustrated with the 7/11 brand of praise fluff. It has its place but it is about as edifying as a Harlequin novel.

There has to be better stuff out there. I am not enough of an audiophile to find it myself.

So, any recommendations?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    I am getting increasingly frustrated with the 7/11 brand of praise fluff. It has its place but it is about as edifying as a Harlequin novel.

There has to be better stuff out there. I am not enough of an audiophile to find it myself.

So, any recommendations?
    What do you mean by this? The stuff you normally hear in churches?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The stuff that has seven lines repeated eleven times. I am pretty sure God knows that He is Lord. I don't see the need to tell Him fifty times in one song.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

So, any recommendations?
        Immortal, Invisible

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

Hundreds more. Go to cyberhymnal online and you will see the good hymns of our past. Then look up the history of some of them....cyberhymnal might have the history, or Hymnary.org does for sure.

Bring the good stuff back!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Oh, and sing that which focuses on the character of God and what He has done rather than how I feel about Him.
          Last edited by mossrose; 09-12-2015, 02:21 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Hymns. And the Maranatha Praise Singers. (1980's-90's but still classics)
            Bill and Gloria Gaither. A newer band that was great (never know what happened to them) Deliriou5? from the 70's the 2nd Chapter of Acts. Keith Green, The Celebrant Singers. Steve Fry, and Steve Green.
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Thanks Mossy and Cath! I'll check them out!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

So, any recommendations?
                Most of Keith and Kristyn Getty's and and/or Stuart Townend's stuff is pretty good.

Also, the channel TranceSeraph on Youtube has a lot of good hymns/modern hymns that you could browse through to see if you find something to your liking.

Comment

Thanks Chrawn!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

So, any recommendations?
                    Fred Hammond!

The stuff that has seven lines repeated eleven times. I am pretty sure God knows that He is Lord. I don't see the need to tell Him fifty times in one song.
                    Oh. Nevermind then.

Comment

So, any recommendations?
                      Music wasn't the reason I became Orthodox, but the thing I liked least about my last Protestant church was its shift to more praise & worship and fewer hymns. I still catch myself singing a hymn from my youth ever and anon, but rarely a praise & worship song.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I don't dislike praise music. As I said, it has it's place. But in a Church that has major issues with education, I don't see anything good about getting away from more edifying music.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment