Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Quotation from Evangelical Dictionary of Theology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quotation from Evangelical Dictionary of Theology

Here is a quote from the Evangelical Dictionary of Theology on pages 97 and 98. The contributor is J.K. Grider.

"A spillover from Calvinism into Arminianism has occurred in recent decades. Thus many Arminians whose theology is not very precise say that Christ paid the penalty for our sins. Yet such a view is foreign to Arminianism, which teaches instead that Christ suffered for us. Arminians teach that what Christ did he did for every person; therefore what he did could not have been to pay the penalty, since no one would then ever go into eternal perdition. Arminianism teaches that Christ suffered for everyone so that the Father could forgive the ones who repent and believe; his death is such that all will see that forgiveness is costly and will strive to cease from anarchy in the world God governs. This view is called the governmental theory of the atonement."

I found the quote interesting because I thought that the teaching that Jesus paid sin's penalty is something that all Christians believe, not just Calvinists. It is my understanding that all Christians believe in the penal substitutionary view of the atonement, not just Calvinists.

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
    Here is a quote from the Evangelical Dictionary of Theology on pages 97 and 98. The contributor is J.K. Grider.

"A spillover from Calvinism into Arminianism has occurred in recent decades. Thus many Arminians whose theology is not very precise say that Christ paid the penalty for our sins. Yet such a view is foreign to Arminianism, which teaches instead that Christ suffered for us. Arminians teach that what Christ did he did for every person; therefore what he did could not have been to pay the penalty, since no one would then ever go into eternal perdition. Arminianism teaches that Christ suffered for everyone so that the Father could forgive the ones who repent and believe; his death is such that all will see that forgiveness is costly and will strive to cease from anarchy in the world God governs. This view is called the governmental theory of the atonement."

I found the quote interesting because I thought that the teaching that Jesus paid sin's penalty is something that all Christians believe, not just Calvinists. It is my understanding that all Christians believe in the penal substitutionary view of the atonement, not just Calvinists.
    I'm RCC and without going into detail, it is my understanding that the greater Church (RCC,ROC,EOC,OOC) reject the premises of penal substitution, especially if it is framed as the appeasement of a vengeful God, or the legalism of satisfying divine justice. Scripture is adamant that the penalty for sin is death (cp. Rom 6:23). The death of the sinner satisfies divine justice. All divine legalities concerning sin are satisfied by the death of the sinner. And we all know that despite Jesus' humiliation and sacrifice, death remains in the world.

The biblical metaphor is that in sinning we have sold ourselves unto the bondage of death. On our death we become bound to the grave, imprisoned in hades! As our kinsman redeemer Jesus' sacrifice pays the ransom price that will ultimately free us from the bondage of hades = the purpose of the resurrection.
    Last edited by apostoli; 09-15-2015, 01:13 AM.

Comment

OK. How is penal substitutionary view of the atonement at odds with governmental theory of the atonement? Since in both views Christ die as our substitute (Isisah 53:6: Romans 5:8) and as a matter of God's justice (Romans 3:23-26; 1 John 2:1-2)?
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by apostoli View Post
        I'm RCC and without going into detail, it is my understanding that the greater Church (RCC,ROC,EOC,OOC) reject the premises of penal substitution, especially if it is framed as the appeasement of a vengeful God, or the legalism of satisfying divine justice. Scripture is adamant that the penalty for sin is death (cp. Rom 6:23). The death of the sinner satisfies divine justice. All divine legalities concerning sin are satisfied by the death of the sinner. And we all know that despite Jesus' humiliation and sacrifice, death remains in the world.
        Wasn't penal substitution developed by Anselm of Canterbury, whom the RCC venerates as a saint? You are correct that the East generally rejects penal substitution.

I'm not familiar enough with formal Arminianism to know whether or not the author's presentation of it is accurate; this is the first I've heard of the "governmental theory."
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Wasn't penal substitution developed by Anselm of Canterbury, whom the RCC venerates as a saint? You are correct that the East generally rejects penal substitution.
          Imu, the difference between Anselm's model and Calvin's model is similar to the difference between a cat and a dog. Superficially there are similarities but a cat is not a dog.

In Calvin's model, punishment satiates God's need for vengeance (a reflection of the judicial system of his urban environment). In Anselm's model, restoration of God's honour negates the need for punishment (a reflection of the justice system of tribal environments in his era).

We can't avoid the teaching of "substitution" and "propitiation", they are too prevalent in the NT. But what is their context? Imo, Anselm's model gives a satisfactory response. Adam was disobedient, Jesus was obedient in recompense. God's honour is restored! Why then did Jesus have to suffer and die for us? I have an answer that satisfies me. I won't impose it upon you, instead I'll let you contemplate the teachings of the EOC on this matter.

To anyone reading this post I invite you to heed Jesus' advice = "go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy and not sacrifice.' (Mt 12:7; 9:13; Hosea 6:6. cp.1 Sam 15:22; Ps 51:16; Jer 7:22; Gen 8:20-21)

“What is more pleasing to the LORD...sacrifices or...obedience to his voice? Listen! Obedience is better than sacrifice. (1 Sam 15:22 - NLT), Jesus "he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross (Phil 2:8 - NLT).

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I'm not familiar enough with formal Arminianism to know whether or not the author's presentation of it is accurate; this is the first I've heard of the "governmental theory."
          The governmental model is possibly closer to Anselm's concept. I've only a cursory knowledge so can't go into details.

Comment

I prefer the Classic Theory of Atonement that all Christians believed until Anselm a thousand years on. Jesus gave His life as a ransom to Satan to end Satan's authority over Earth and eventually (in the Second Coming) Satan's power.
            Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

The quote appears to be a Calvinist account of Arminius, implying that Arminians couldn't possibly believe that Christ substitutes for us because they didn't accept 5-point Calvinism.

In fact Arminius and many Arminians actually did believe in penal substitution. Here's one of many references: http://www.etsjets.org/files/JETS-PD...785_Pinson.pdf. What they didn't believe is that God limited Christ's death a priori to a specific set of people. Instead they believe that in principle Christ's death was unlimited, but in fact it is limited to those who have faith in Christ. This faith is not, of course, a purely human act, but results from the grace of God, acting with the person's will.

You may quite reasonably object to the way in which God's election and human response are portrayed as interacting. But it's not fair to deny that Arminius accept penal substitution, or to say that for Arminius Christ's death only set up the possibility of salvation and men then have to save themselves (which that article doesn't explicitly say, but is present in many treatments of Arminianism).

Comment

Certainly, the scriptures declare that Christ for us (our benefit), and for sins. However, examination of the record shows a complete precis of the scriptures results in the declaration: "he died for (propitiation of) sins, for our benefit." or "He died so that the expiation of sins for our benefit might become possible."

Romans 5:6
                For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

Romans 5:8
                But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

1 Corinthians 15:3
                For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,

Galatians 1:4
                who (i.e. Christ) gave Himself for our sins, that He might deliver us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father,

Hebrews 2:17
                Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people.

Hebrews 10:12
                But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God,

1 Peter 2:24
                who (Christ) Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed.

1 John 4:10
                In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
                Last edited by tabibito; 10-14-2015, 09:14 AM.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X