Announcement

Collapse

Pro-Life Activism 301 Guidelines

This area is for pro-life activists to discuss issues related to abortion. It is NOT a debate area, and it is not OK for pro-choice activists to post here.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Pro Choice vs. Child Support - Fatherhood Abolished?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Choice vs. Child Support - Fatherhood Abolished?

If the product of conception is not a child, but a clump of cells that the mother chooses to keep in her body or not, in what way is the man responsible for the result? He did nothing to produce the child. He did nothing with the intent of creating a child. Sex doesn't create children who are owed something. Children are entirely the result of a woman choosing to turn her embryo into a baby.

The man may not consent to have her use his genetic material to turn it into a baby. If parenthood is a thing that shouldn't be forced then how can we say that the "father," who only consented to a sex-act "owes" the resulting child anything?

Let's say fifty years into the future when technology has advanced greatly I shake your hand. I take some of your cells which rubbed off onto my hands and I use them to create 15 genetic offspring. Are you responsible for those 15 babies that I grew in a lab?

A child only has one parent - its mother. Children aren't created through sex, embryos are.

(This precludes any of the cloudier issues like rape or incest)
    "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

You missed the major point: consent. The act of sex can be taken as tacit consent since it has a biological objective. Handshakes cannot be the same since the objective is different.

Consenting to creating the 'clump' consents to the creation of the baby.

You are on the right track but the better attack is fairness : If mom gets a second bite of the apple then dad should, too.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

But in that philosophy sex is NOT consent to create a baby or have children. Conceiving an embryo is an unfortunate side effect in that kind of sexual system and it is corrected with abortion. At most he might have to help her pay for the abortion, but you could argue it's her responsibility to keep herself from coming down with pregnancy since she is in charge of her body

This doesn't include something where like the man and woman are intentionally trying to get her pregnant, or rape, but is more about "casual" sex

(also in case it isn't clear to people reading the OP, this is not something I like or endorse, I don't accept the premises of the 'pro choice' system)
      Last edited by hamster; 09-17-2015, 07:58 AM.
      "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
        If the product of conception is not a child, but a clump of cells that the mother chooses to keep in her body or not, in what way is the man responsible for the result? He did nothing to produce the child. He did nothing with the intent of creating a child. Sex doesn't create children who are owed something. Children are entirely the result of a woman choosing to turn her embryo into a baby.

The man may not consent to have her use his genetic material to turn it into a baby. If parenthood is a thing that shouldn't be forced then how can we say that the "father," who only consented to a sex-act "owes" the resulting child anything?

Let's say fifty years into the future when technology has advanced greatly I shake your hand. I take some of your cells which rubbed off onto my hands and I use them to create 15 genetic offspring. Are you responsible for those 15 babies that I grew in a lab?

A child only has one parent - its mother. Children aren't created through sex, embryos are.

(This precludes any of the cloudier issues like rape or incest)
        You know what the mantra says.

"My body, my choice............"

The last few words missing are "My responsibility". A person cannot be held responsible for another person's exclusive decision.

Under this philosophy a man should be able to say "my wallet, my choice".
        “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X