Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

I have a serious question for my Christian friends. Why is it that when something is not understood or unknown it is of the devil? I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, I am genuinely curious. As with any topic like this please keep it civil...

Why is it that when something is not understood or unknown it is of the devil?
    That doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Comment

Originally posted by SovereignOfSilence View Post
      I have a serious question for my Christian friends. Why is it that when something is not understood or unknown it is of the devil? I am not trying to ruffle any feathers, I am genuinely curious. As with any topic like this please keep it civil...
      I have an acquaintance who has a book that is/was distributed worldwide. He does not accept that Satan exists as a real person but suggests that we ourselves are our own Satan the devil, or we make ourselves Satan to others (cp. Mt 16:23). What my acquaintance suggests is largely true, but the common teaching is that a very real person whom we name Satan the devil, attempts to motivate/influence all persons, but most particularly the devout.

Satan (Gr. satanas) literally means "an adversary, one who resists" and devil (Gr. diabolos) literally means "slanderer, accuser". I would suggest that in less scientific times, whenever something was outside of what was commonly understood, or more particularly opposition to the common understanding was presented, the superstitious would perceive it as the work of the great adversary = Satan the devil. An example of this is found in the invention of the piano = pythagorean tuning was eventually replaced by equal temperament ie: pianos these days are tuned out of key. It is one of the reasons that R&R was considered the work of the devil. There is a famous story from the beginning of the 20th century: the worlds greatest violinist and the worlds greatest pianist performed in concert a piece written in the key of A. The violin is one of the few instruments that can be tuned to a pure A. In the audience some decried the violinist saying he was playing out of key, others decried the pianiist saying he was playing out of key, while the rest of the audience just heard a cacophony of noise. To the purists, definitely a work of the devil, for no human, nor God, would intention such discord!

In modern times, except for the occasional Muslim cleric, I haven't encountered anyone in the Christian world that would agree that "something [that] is not understood or unknown it is of the devil?" Of course Christians (and followers of Islam) would agree that things knowable and observable, such as a decline in public morality, are the work of شيطان‎ (Shaitan=Satan).
      Last edited by apostoli; 09-21-2015, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
        There is a small minority of Christians who take a stance not too far from that, but it is not a Christian norm by any means.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Moderator Notice

This thread has been moved to Apologetics, as the opening poster is not allowed to post in Christianity.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
          Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            There is a small minority of Christians who take a stance not too far from that, but it is not a Christian norm by any means.
            While the presentation of the question isn't entirely accurate, it certainly is the case that Satan is a major figure. It seems to me that if human beings are sufficient to explain natural and moral evil--and even that is a major stretch--why is the character of Satan needed at all in the Christian narrative? His biography and presence seem so unbelievable that it hobbles the story and casts needless doubt on it.

IOW, what'd be the danger of deleting Satan and demons from the tale?

Comment

Recently in Edited by a Moderator I chided Christians in a discussion about temptation for never mentioning the Devil. Both Protestants and Catholics nevertheless ignored me and kept on arguing ivory tower stuff (free will etc.) without dealing with substance. This shows how unwarranted is the OP. Similarly to take Post #6 too seriously would ignore the root of what can be profitably discussed on the surface but that requires more ultimate depth eventually.
              Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-25-2015, 06:04 PM.
              Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Originally posted by Knowing Thomas View Post
                I believe he is referring to some things that appear evil of unknown cause or explanation.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                  Recently in Edited by a Moderator I chided Christians in a discussion about temptation for never mentioning the Devil. Both Protestants and Catholics nevertheless ignored me and kept on arguing ivory tower stuff (free will etc.) without dealing with substance. This shows how unwarranted is the OP. Similarly to take Post #6 too seriously would ignore the root of what can be profitably discussed on the surface but that requires more ultimate depth eventually.
                  Perhaps they ignored you because you chided them?

Elaborate please.
                  Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-25-2015, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    I believe he is referring to some things that appear evil of unknown cause or explanation.
                    SoS is a she, just to clarify.

And, yes, you are correct: the occurrence of all evil necessarily requires an apologetic explanation, and that explanation is either God, Satan, or both.

Comment

For example: ghosts or UFOs. And yes I am female :)

Comment

Originally posted by SovereignOfSilence View Post
                        For example: ghosts or UFOs. And yes I am female :)
                        Thanks for clarifying. Yes, many Christians interpret ghostly encounters as demons masquerading as "angels of light" or somehow the expression of the occult. Re: UFO sightings, many Christians dismiss such observations as demonic deception, for example, the popular apologetics organization Reasons to Believe.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                          Perhaps they ignored you because you chided them?
                          Elaborate please.
                          Makes no difference. They were lightweights I would not have wanted to argue with. Erose for example, a rather fatuous Roman Catholic.
                          Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                            Makes no difference. They were lightweights I would not have wanted to argue with. Erose for example, a rather fatuous Roman Catholic.
                            So you chided them with no intention of having a discussion with them?

Comment

I won't dignify such crap with a response.

Comment