Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

“It Follows” disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “It Follows” disappointment

I was giddy when I read Tarantino’s criticism of It Follows in this interview here because I had the same complaints. That movie had so much going for it--great premise, sick score, decent acting--but devolves quickly. I can only suspend my belief so much. Several creepy moments early in the film get you excited about the story, but soon the mistakes become so glaring that you begin to criticize the logic WHILE the film’s still playing.

Tarantino was right. He points out a glaring flaw in the introduction of the creature. The other mistakes are too many too list here, but my favorite misstep is when the monster finally catches up with its prey, attacking her by…pulling her hair.

It’s a shame we can’t manage to produce truly scary movies anymore. I haven’t pissed my pants with fear watching a movie since my dad took me to see Alien when I was 9.

The only thing I didn't like was how they tried to defeat the "monster," I liked the soundtrack and 80s style atmosphere a lot
    "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by hamster View Post
      The only thing I didn't like was how they tried to defeat the "monster," I liked the soundtrack and 80s style atmosphere a lot
      Yea, that was the most illogical by far.

The first depiction of the ghoul as a naked woman with no visible eyes made the hair stand up in the back of my neck. The key to a good villain is in the eyes or lack of them. Every other form the ghoul took was progressively less threatening than the preceding form.

The studios always muck with the most inconsequential elements of a film. The producers should have insisted on logic and a consistently frightening villain here.

There's a great documentary on the making of Alien on youtube. FOX actually fought Ridley Scott and Dan O Bannon for having a too-threatening monster. The suits haven't changed.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X