Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Life on Mars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life on Mars

Suppose hypothetically discoveries of life on Mars are made, either life existing now or signs of life sometime in the past. What explanation will you as a Christian come up with?

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    Suppose hypothetically discoveries of life on Mars are made, either life existing now or signs of life sometime in the past. What explanation will you as a Christian come up with?
    Why do we need to explain it?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well one of the predictions of the Flood model that I subscribe to, the Hydroplate Theory, is that the Flood likely transported methane-producing bacteria to Mars. See here to read more about that.

If we found bacteria like this and sequenced their genes, then we'd undoubtedly find them to be very similar to Earth bacteria. So the explanation I would give is that this is a big boost to the Hydroplate Theory!

Also note that the recent find that there are likely flows of very salty water on Mars also fits perfectly with another one of the Hydroplate Theory's predictions, which can be read about here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Why do we need to explain it?
        You know why. Christians will wonder why life is/was there since the bible doesn't state God created life anywhere else.

Comment

You know why.
          No, I really don't.

Christians will wonder why life is/was there since the bible doesn't state God created life anywhere else.
          John tells us there are many things Jesus did which are not in the Bible. The MORMONS, on the other hand.....
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

None needed. Why would you think that there should be?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              None needed. Why would you think that there should be?
              Belief in ToE is less complicated than creation, as literal belief in the Genesis 6 day creation on earth is more precise. Not sure why the reactions seem to be hand waving the issue as though I were an atheist or something. I'm not trying to be combative, I'm just curious what explanations there would be from a Christian perspective, specifically those that believe Genesis creation is literal. If you don't have an answer or don't want to answer then there's no need to reply.

Comment

Belief in ToE is less complicated than creation, as literal belief in the Genesis 6 day creation on earth is more precise. Not sure why the reactions seem to be hand waving the issue as though I were an atheist or something. I'm not trying to be combative, I'm just curious what explanations there would be from a Christian perspective, specifically those that believe Genesis creation is literal. If you don't have an answer or don't want to answer then there's no need to reply.
                Unless you are a TE this topic probably fits better in Applied Protology given your intended audience.

Comment

Belief in ToE is less complicated than creation, as literal belief in the Genesis 6 day creation on earth is more precise. Not sure why the reactions seem to be hand waving the issue as though I were an atheist or something.
                  Ummmm..... if it's "hand waving", it's just because it's of no importance.

I'm not trying to be combative,
                  me too

I'm just curious what explanations there would be from a Christian perspective, specifically those that believe Genesis creation is literal. If you don't have an answer or don't want to answer then there's no need to reply.
                  I have an answer: It doesn't matter.
                  Last edited by Cow Poke; 09-29-2015, 01:42 PM.

Comment

An acceptance of evolution really has nothing to do with whether there could be life on other planets. I know a bunch of OEC and even a couple of YECs that don't have a problem with the concept.

And I'll reiterate, from a Christian perspective I really don't think that any explanation is necessary any more than a Christian explanation is needed for the existence of extrasolar planets. Why should it?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Zeta_Metroid View Post
                      Well one of the predictions of the Flood model that I subscribe to, the Hydroplate Theory, is that the Flood likely transported methane-producing bacteria to Mars. See here to read more about that.

If we found bacteria like this and sequenced their genes, then we'd undoubtedly find them to be very similar to Earth bacteria. So the explanation I would give is that this is a big boost to the Hydroplate Theory!

Also note that the recent find that there are likely flows of very salty water on Mars also fits perfectly with another one of the Hydroplate Theory's predictions, which can be read about here.
                      Thanks, ZM. This is the type of reply I'm interested in.

Comment

I was wondering if somebody would bring up John 10:16. I have heard a few times somebody suggest that the "other sheep" are people on different planets.

Comment

The key question here would be not why God would allow it to happen (God does what he wants) but how we would relate to the life from a spiritual perspective. In theology, it's generally accepted (I think) that animals don't have souls. Thus, we read stories about gorillas and monkeys learning to communicate with humans and don't consider whether they can accept the gospel. If hypothetically we came across an alien species that could talk to us, these questions would come up.

This was the question that Pope Francis addressed awhile ago when he said that he would be willing to share the gospel with an alien.
                          Last edited by KingsGambit; 09-29-2015, 08:00 PM.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            In theology, it's generally accepted (I think) that animals don't have souls.
                            Its not, and where that absurd idea comes from in the general population is beyond me. Everything it says about humans having a soul is says about animals as well.

Genesis 7:15 states that "Pairs of all creatures that have the breath of life in them came to Noah and entered the ark." This is exactly what Genesis 2:7 says when it says that God breathed "the breath of life" into Adam.

Further, look at what Genesis 1:30 says: "And to every kind of animal of the earth and to every bird of heaven, and to everything that moves upon the earth which is living…"

The Hebrew phrase in Genesis 1:30 translated as "is living" is "chay nephesh", according to Strong’s here: http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible...#s=t_conc_1030. Those are the same words used later when it says of Adam in Genesis 2:7 that after receiving the breath of life he "became a living soul", according to here: http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineI...OTpdf/gen2.pdf.

So any argument for animals not having souls would have to argue that humans don't either.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeta_Metroid View Post
                              Its not, and where that absurd idea comes from in the general population is beyond me. Everything it says about humans having a soul is says about animals as well.

Genesis 7:15 states that "Pairs of all creatures that have the breath of life in them came to Noah and entered the ark." This is exactly what Genesis 2:7 says when it says that God breathed "the breath of life" into Adam.

Further, look at what Genesis 1:30 says: "And to every kind of animal of the earth and to every bird of heaven, and to everything that moves upon the earth which is living…"

The Hebrew phrase in Genesis 1:30 translated as "is living" is "chay nephesh", according to Strong’s here: http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible...#s=t_conc_1030. Those are the same words used later when it says of Adam in Genesis 2:7 that after receiving the breath of life he "became a living soul", according to here: http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineI...OTpdf/gen2.pdf.

So any argument for animals not having souls would have to argue that humans don't either.
                              It's a bit complicated, but some people (and this is based on scriptural examples) conflate the words "soul" and "spirit". So when they're referring to "soul" they're not referring to "breath-life" (at least, not in every context), which is what the passages you cited do, they're referring to the image of God that his wholly unique to mankind. If it helps, some people divide humanity's nature into three parts: body, soul, and spirit. Body being the flesh, blood, and bone. Soul being the breath-life, that which animates us, and perhaps even is the seat of the emotions and consciousness. And spirit, that part of us that is uniquely God-like, that divides us from the rest of the animal kingdom, that allows us to come into communication with God's spirit. For those who only use the identifiers "body" and "soul", body incorporates both the flesh and the breath-life, while soul (again, depending on context) refers to the image of God (though sometimes it can refer to breath-life).

Hopefully that's helpful. I cited Professor Ben Witherington on this before in the What Constitutes a Person Thread some time back,

Source: Paul's Narrative Thought World: The Tapestry of Tragedy and Triumph by Ben Witherington

Paul uses the term pneuma of the human spirit sparingly. Normally pneuma means Holy Spirit in Paul. First Corinthians 14:14 (32?) speaks about "my spirit," and in 14:15 spirit and mind are contrasted. Some have suggested, however, that spirit here refers to something God gives the Christian, not something inherent in human nature (i.e., the spiritual agency that activates gifts). Against this, however, Paul speaks only of the Holy Spirit in these terms, not my "spirit." Further, 2 Cor. 7:1 speaks of defilers of the spirit and of the flesh. It is hard to see how one could defile the Holy Spirit, but the human spirit is another matter. Thus spirit seems to refer to a part of one's being that involves the suprarational or noncognitive aspects of human experience--broadly speaking, that which goes beyond the material and empirical. Paul, however, does not seem to see the human "spirit" as a material part of a person. We can only conjecture that he associates it perhaps with something like the image of God in humanity, that which makes possible relationships and communion with God, who is Spirit.

© Copyright Original Source

Source: Paul's Narrative Thought World: The Tapestry of Tragedy and Triumph by Ben Witherington

Paul uses the term psuche sparingly as well, and its cognate psuchikos. It clearly does not mean soul for Paul. Thus, for instance at Romans 1, quoting the Old Testament, he uses psuche in its Old Testament sense of life or self (the Hebrew nephesh). So too at Rom. 16:4 Paul speaks of those who risked their "lives" for his life (similarly at Phil. 2:30). In 1 Cor. 15:45 in the Old Testament quotation, Adam is said to become a living being (a living psuche). At times then, the term psuche is simply synonymous with human being (cf. Rom. 2:9; 13:1), without stress on one's being alive, though that is necessarily implied. First Thessalonians 5:23 has sometimes been used to argue that Paul had a trichotomous view of human nature: body, soul, spirit. Against this, however, psuche likely means here the life principle that animates the body. Psuchikos as an adjective is used by Paul in its normal sense to mean physical (just the opposite of soul) or natural, or possibly even unspiritual (cf. 1 Cor. 2:14; 15:44, 46). This term describes the natural human being (i.e., a person without the Holy Spirit) over against a person who has the spirit.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment