Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

"Rethinking 'Hitler's Pope' " by Mark Riebling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Rethinking 'Hitler's Pope' " by Mark Riebling

Sam Harris, of all people,
    has broadcast to all his atheist friends (and fellow travelers like me) his interview with FELLOW ATHEIST Mark Riebling who has "exposed" the myth going back to "The Deputy" a half-century ago that blamed Pope Pius XII (reigned 1939-1958) for the Holocaust and pretty much all the sins of supposedly Roman Catholic Adolf Hitler and his minions including ever-so-many nominal Catholics. Riebling starts by telling us that all the recent supposedly anti-Pius books like "Hitler's Pope" really include largely ignored disclaimers about how good Pope Pius XII was in helping Jews and other persecuted victims of Naziism.
    Riebling feels honor-bound (or shame-faced) as a secular liberal to "confess" that it was his intellectual kin liberal atheists in the 1930's who were the prime failures to stand up against Hitler. Not that Riebling fails to recognize and acknowledge that it was the unwashed masses who were Hitler's bread and butter of support. (As a victim of a brief flirtation with "Trumpism" I have to wonder if this could have included me back then. Not that I say Trump is another Hitler, but his fanatic fans are Hitlerites redevivus.)
    His book Church of Spies is full-blown apologia for the value of conservative authoritarian structures saving the world from far worse totalitarianism. The only common element of all the plots to assassinate Hitler was Pope Pius XII directing his network of operatives, spies, priests, and even a Lesbian convert from Judaism.

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/r...g-hitlers-pope
    Mark Riebling has been an architect of post-9/11 “intelligence-driven policing,” co-founding and serving as research director for the Center for Policing Terrorism. He received his degree in philosophy from the University of California at Berkeley and is the author of Wedge: The Secret War Between the FBI and CIA. His latest book is Church of Spies: The Pope’s Secret War Against Hitler
    He's my Fuhrer!
    0%
    Hitler is my Fuhrer!
    0%
    He saved the world!
    0%
    The only good Pope is a dead Pope
    0%
    Catholic spies are good.
    0%
    Communist spies are good.
    0%
    He almost killed Hitler.
    0%
    He failed to kill Hitler
    0%
    Last edited by Adam; 09-30-2015, 12:32 PM.
    Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

In the pre-crash Tweb I put up a long list of quotes from various Jewish leaders including those prominent in the founding of Israel that praised the actions of Pius XII which always seems to get ignored by his detractors.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes, but it's more than that. From the start of his papacy Pius XII was actively conspiring to kill Hitler.
      Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

The poll is laced with sarcasm, and unanswerable.

Popes are popes, not necessarily good nor bad. There is little Pope Pius XII could have done before and during WWII concerning the Fascists in Germany nor in Italy. In my view he did what he could within the limitations of the Roman Church. The historical view of the Roman Church toward the Jews has never been particularly enlightened.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Now, now, Robrecht,
          You don't need to go starting a fight with Shuny again.
          I started this thread as a favor to you, to try to make up for all the horrible things (like how useless a saint is) I said about Pope Francis during my recent horrible migraine day.

Comment