Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Persecution as Proof of Salvation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persecution as Proof of Salvation

It was recently announced at my work that a prominent male employee was going full Caitlyn Jenner. It was a complete shock to everyone, as the man showed zero indication of such leanings (he’s married with three children). In the weeks since the announcement, he’s encountered the expected awkward reactions to his “transformation.” A very good, highly respected employee, he’s now claiming that his work is being stymied by those in the company who hate him for his extreme change.

I consider myself rather liberal, buy even I think he’s inviting it, really. I think that he should expect that awkwardness and he’s exaggerating about the level of persecution he’s enduring at work.

A popular Christian belief exists that says all Christians should expect persecution in some form. It’s based on what Timothy said in 2 Timothy 3:12:

“Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.”

It made me think of self-fulfilling prophecy. If a Christian isn’t suffering some form of persecution from their beliefs and behavior (say, denying marriage licenses to homosexuals), doesn’t that invite them to go looking for “persecution”? It seems like a terrible burden to say to believers “If you’re not being persecuted, you’re not doing it right.” I can imagine a Christian living frugally and exemplifying Christian values without being persecuted.

Rich Mullins would be a good example of a Christian who lived sacrificially but didn't suffer persecution. See the movie Ragamuffin. It's surprisingly good.

A non-Christian example of someone who lives very sacrificially would be Jose Mujica, the president of Uraguay.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
      It made me think of self-fulfilling prophecy. If a Christian isn’t suffering some form of persecution from their beliefs and behavior (say, denying marriage licenses to homosexuals), doesn’t that invite them to go looking for “persecution”?
      Yes, I think it could. But God isn't fooled. He knows our hearts.

It seems like a terrible burden to say to believers “If you’re not being persecuted, you’re not doing it right*.”
      Yet, here you are, an agnostic, on a Christian website, picking fights.

I can imagine a Christian living frugally and exemplifying Christian values without being persecuted.
      Paul was aggressively expanding Christianity, and did, indeed, suffer persecution more than a few times. He was preparing Timothy for that. A Christian who is proactively fulfilling the great commission will encounter opposition. What you describe sounds more like a Christian who is pretty much "hunkered down".

*I'm kidding, and, no, I don't really see that as persecution. The Oregon shooting would, however, qualify, I believe, because students were killed for their belief in Christ.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Also, try reading the entire chapter for context. Paul begins with "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come", then expands on that for a number of verses, warning Timothy that things are going to get worse.

It certainly wasn't intended as a "proof of salvation".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Also, try reading the entire chapter for context. Paul begins with "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come", then expands on that for a number of verses, warning Timothy that things are going to get worse.

It certainly wasn't intended as a "proof of salvation".
          I know the context, and that shouldn't be extended to modern Christians to make them feel inadequate for not being persecuted. That's my point. My Christian wife's Christian aunt was going on about this verse yesterday and trying to make her "more bold" for Christ (whatever that means). Her aunt said that that boldness will make non-Christians mad at her and lash out. The implication is that the persecution that boldness provokes is evidence that one is saved. I think I easily demonstrated one can live a good Christian life without ever being persecuted.

The shooting example is just dumb. Those people weren't shot because they were particularly ardent. Moreover, had they been overcome with fear and NOT identified themselves as Christian, it would say nothing about the quality of their faith and works that preceded their demise.

Comment

The implication is that the persecution that boldness provokes is evidence that one is saved.
            Not really. The implication is that the Gospel is offensive to those who don't believe it. It has nothing to do with the one speaking.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              Not really. The implication is that the Gospel is offensive to those who don't believe it. It has nothing to do with the one speaking.
              Offensive doesn't work, so there's problem #1. The way it's expressed can be offensive, sure, such as when a preacher wearing a sandwich board screams that students are going to hell on a college campus. There's absolutely nothing offensive to me about how Rich Mullins and his mentors preached the gospel. Mullins wasn't quiet about Jesus, and he lived very sacrificially.

Comment

Offensive doesn't work, so there's problem #1.
                Sure it can.

The way it's expressed can be offensive, sure, such as when a preacher wearing a sandwich board screams that students are going to hell on a college campus.
                While a bit crude, that's a part of the Gospel.

There's absolutely nothing offensive to me about how Rich Mullins and his mentors preached the gospel.
                Including the line from "Awesome God" about His judgment and wrath that got poured out on Sodom?

Mullins wasn't quiet about Jesus, and he lived very sacrificially.
                And he wasn't quiet about sin, even his own, and its consequences.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Sure it can.
                  The expression can, certainly, but not the gospel itself.

While a bit crude, that's a part of the Gospel.
                  Crude expression of dogma is part of a lot of religions. Crudity of that sort isn't the way to go when seeking to be persuasive in the long term. It makes one look like a clown.

Including the line from "Awesome God" about His judgment and wrath that got poured out on Sodom?
                  Yes, that's from the Bible and isn't offensive in the least. Weird, yes, if believed literally (Lot offered his daughters to the rapists), but not offensive.

And he wasn't quiet about sin, even his own, and its consequences.
                  I'm aware of that. He was extremely genuine, and that doesn't offend me at all.

Comment

The expression can, certainly, but not the gospel itself.
                    What do you think the Gospel is?

Crude expression of dogma is part of a lot of religions. Crudity of that sort isn't the way to go when seeking to be persuasive in the long term. It makes one look like a clown.
                    Sugar coating the Gospel is not the way to persuade someone either. That's why so many give up once the first sign of trouble comes up.

Yes, that's from the Bible and isn't offensive in the least. Weird, yes, if believed literally (Lot offered his daughters to the rapists), but not offensive.
                    It doesn't offend you that the Bible would depict God killing people just for their sexual sin and inhospitality?

I'm aware of that. He was extremely genuine, and that doesn't offend me at all.
                    He also did not compromise the message of the cross, and the implications of not following it.
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Sugar coating the Gospel is not the way to persuade someone either. That's why so many give up once the first sign of trouble comes up.
                      Which is one of the reasons I really despise those who promote what is often called the prosperity gospel (a.k.a., the health and wealth gospel).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Something very much like what Matt Slick describes, I would agree.

https://carm.org/what-gospel

Mullins didn’t sugarcoat the gospel, so I don’t know what you’re talking about.

It doesn't offend you that the Bible would depict God killing people just for their sexual sin and inhospitality?
                        No, because I don’t believe that happened. Why would I be offended about something that I don’t believe occurred? Moreover, that has nothing to do with the gospel.

He also did not compromise the message of the cross, and the implications of not following it.
                        I didn’t say anything otherwise, and it still doesn’t “offend” me. Rather, I respect how genuine he was about his woundedness and how sacrificial he was in his living.

Comment

The shooting example is just dumb. Those people weren't shot because they were particularly ardent. Moreover, had they been overcome with fear and NOT identified themselves as Christian, it would say nothing about the quality of their faith and works that preceded their demise.

I am not sure how you manage to come to that conclusion for even the first guy - someone holds a gun in your face you are usually going to try really hard to say what he wants to hear. But the fact that there were multiple people killed having heard what the 'wrong' answer was and then giving that same answer themselves says a lot for their loyalty to their Savior.

Who would you have done that for?
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I know the context, and that shouldn't be extended to modern Christians to make them feel inadequate for not being persecuted. That's my point. My Christian wife's Christian aunt was going on about this verse yesterday and trying to make her "more bold" for Christ (whatever that means). Her aunt said that that boldness will make non-Christians mad at her and lash out. The implication is that the persecution that boldness provokes is evidence that one is saved. I think I easily demonstrated one can live a good Christian life without ever being persecuted.

I apologize, Whag. I wrongly assumed you actually wanted a discussion instead of just being an arrogant ass. Silly, silly me!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Which is one of the reasons I really despise those who promote what is often called the prosperity gospel (a.k.a., the health and wealth gospel).
                              Or when somebody says "Accept Christ as Savior and all your problems will disappear".

Comment