Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Curse of Human Reproduction Explained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Curse of Human Reproduction Explained

A doctor beautifully explains why females menstruate and why pregnancy sucks so hard:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-ev...having-periods

Useful for evangelism and that tricky question about the curse.

Really? Youre going to have a hard time convincing the moderator whose pregnant with her third that it sucks
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
      Really? Youre going to have a hard time convincing the moderator whose pregnant with her third that it sucks
      No, I mean the curse-like part. The curse is mostly evident in the uncomfortable symptoms (hemorrhoids, back pain, nausea, etc). Those symptoms we don't share with other mammals, making them exclusive to human females. The bible has it wrong, saying the pangs are the curse. The pangs are actually the only painful symptom we share with most mammals. My cat screamed like she was being murdered when she had her litter.

Did you read the article?

Comment

The reason why I asked if you've read it is because it's a good (though not perfect) explanation of the curse. Female human beings really do experience more pain in childbearing, corroborating the Bible in a sense.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
          No, I mean the curse-like part. The curse is mostly evident in the uncomfortable symptoms (hemorrhoids, back pain, nausea, etc). Those symptoms we don't share with other mammals, making them exclusive to human females. The bible has it wrong, saying the pangs are the curse. The pangs are actually the only painful symptom we share with most mammals. My cat screamed like she was being murdered when she had her litter.

Did you read the article?
          Umm yes I read it. I also read the comments section. The article spoke about child bearing as though babies are a "parasite" and the menstrual cycle like its not completely normal. I beg to differ. The thickened endometrium combined with the expansion of the uterus, etc, actually preps the body for holding a baby and then subsequently prepares to "nourish" a baby for nine and a half months. The nourishment is recieved through the umbilical cord in the placenta and incredibly protects the baby from viruses germs and a whole host of toxins that baby is not yet ready to be exposed to. The discomfort and pain is awful, but with proper nutrition etc...in MOST cases and with technology available can be relieved. While I realize for most of the known human race this has not been so, I've been able to have some very happy and healthy pregnancies and thank God, for research and Science. I also find many issues with this article leaving out certain problems, for example in doggie pregnancies, Domestic and Wild Dogs become prone to osteoperosis, immunodeficiency, constipation, mastitis (while nursing) impaction, dehydration, they also have increased nutritional needs, and no they do not "prance about life happily." Female rodents den, nest and become more lethargic, rabbits develop strange habbits, and some wierd chewing symptoms which can be deadly. Its a poor article. Do a little more research. Nope not convinced. at least not that this articles explanation explains "the curse"
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Umm yes I read it. I also read the comments section. The article spoke about child bearing as though babies are a "parasite" and the menstrual cycle like its not completely normal. I beg to differ. The thickened endometrium combined with the expansion of the uterus, etc, actually preps the body for holding a baby and then subsequently prepares to "nourish" a baby for nine and a half months. The nourishment is recieved through the umbilical cord in the placenta and incredibly protects the baby from viruses germs and a whole host of toxins that baby is not yet ready to be exposed to. The discomfort and pain is awful, but with proper nutrition etc...in MOST cases and with technology available can be relieved.
            I don't think the article was advocating abortion because of discomfort. It aimed to explain why the mysterious process of menses occurs and why it's unique to our species.

Its a poor article. Do a little more research.
            I accepted its hypothesis about menses and thought it might be correlative to "the fall." But maybe i was too quick to accept it. I'll do some more research.

Nope not convinced. at least not that this articles explanation explains "the curse"
            If you think all mammals equally experience the same discomfort in childbearing and birth, what's your apologetic for the human female childbearing curse? If all mammals feel it, then it's not a curse on human females. It's just a physiological thing you have in common with your female mammalian kin.

Comment

Catholicity, I fear this is going in the direction of you painting a too-rosy a picture of pregnancy simply because you think there's an abortion agenda here (in me or the author of that article). Yes, pregnancy indeed is wonderful but it can also be a horror or physical symptoms and post partum depression. Talking about that isn't an apologetic for abortion.

So long as these symptoms relates to Eve's curse, it's fair to discuss. The discussion can possibly inform your apologetic for explaining that.

Comment

While I realize for most of the known human race this has not been so, I've been able to have some very happy and healthy pregnancies and thank God, for research and Science. I also find many issues with this article leaving out certain problems, for example in doggie pregnancies, Domestic and Wild Dogs become prone to osteoperosis, immunodeficiency, constipation, mastitis (while nursing) impaction, dehydration, they also have increased nutritional needs, and no they do not "prance about life happily." Female rodents den, nest and become more lethargic, rabbits develop strange habbits, and some wierd chewing symptoms which can be deadly. Its a poor article. Do a little more research. Nope not convinced. at least not that this articles explanation explains "the curse"
                I've done some more reading, and while I think you're correct that other mammals endure hardship during pregnancy, I don't think that supports the biblical argument that human reproduction is a distinct curse. All mammals suffer as a result of carrying offspring--not just human females.

If that's the case, then the curse of human female childbearing must be a myth and not grounded in reality. Pregnancy makes all female mammals sick and suffer intense pain when the offspring travel down the birth canal.

Comment