Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

This NY Times article makes me not want to be a "Modern Man"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This NY Times article makes me not want to be a "Modern Man"

Hoo boy. Check out this nonsense: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/02/fa...-man.html?_r=2

I'll respond to a few points:

9. Having a daughter makes the modern man more of a complete person. He learns new stuff every day.
    I would love to have a daughter one day. For right now I have a son and he's awesome. By this logic, men like me who don't have daughters are not quite complete persons. What a load of crap.

10. The modern man makes sure the dishes on the rack have dried completely before putting them away.
    Or maybe this and the other chore related things mentioned on this list are just common sense have nothing to do with being a modern man?

13. The modern man listens to Wu-Tang at least once a week.
    NO.

5. The modern man has hardwood flooring. His children can detect his mood from the stamp of his Kenneth Cole oxfords.
    Or they can detect my mood by my heavy work boots from my blue collar job.

25. The modern man has no use for a gun. He doesn’t own one, and he never will.
    Except for when an intruder breaks into my home while my family is there. Then what will be between me and him will be a .38, .45, or 12 gauge shotgun. If he turns tail and runs, he gets to live. If he keeps walking towards me or any of my family, the trigger gets pulled.

26. The modern man cries. He cries often.
    I rarely ever cry. I've seen things other people have only seen in their nightmares from my time as an EMT so most things don't get to me. I believe that there are times, places, and situations for a man to cry, and those times are rare for most men. I feel bad for guys who cry at the drop of a hat (especially in public) because I know a lot of other guys will judge them and make fun of them for it and a lot of women will not desire them.
    "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
    -Marcus Aurelius

I'd never even heard of Wu-Tang.

And the modern man has no use for a gun? Yeah, ok.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post

I would love to have a daughter one day. For right now I have a son and he's awesome. By this logic, men like me who don't have daughters are not quite complete persons. What a load of crap.
      It is like they are implying that having a son obviously adds nothing meaningful to a father's life

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
      Or maybe this and the other chore related things mentioned on this list are just common sense have nothing to do with being a modern man?

NO.

Or they can detect my mood by my heavy work boots from my blue collar job.

Except for when an intruder breaks into my home while my family is there. Then what will be between me and him will be a .38, .45, or 12 gauge shotgun. If he turns tail and runs, he gets to live. If he keeps walking towards me or any of my family, the trigger gets pulled.

I rarely ever cry. I've seen things other people have only seen in their nightmares from my time as an EMT so most things don't get to me. I believe that there are times, places, and situations for a man to cry, and those times are rare for most men. I feel bad for guys who cry at the drop of a hat (especially in public) because I know a lot of other guys will judge them and make fun of them for it and a lot of women will not desire them.
      Sounds more like a list for how to be a male New York Times contributor.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If this was a less reputable source, I'd be inclined to agree with the criticisms, but since it's the New York Times....
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by article
          1. When the modern man buys shoes for his spouse, he doesn’t have to ask her sister for the size. And he knows which brands run big or small.
          I have never bought my wife a pair of shoes.

2. The modern man never lets other people know when his confidence has sunk. He acts as if everything is going swimmingly until it is.
          So the British Stiff Upper Lip is back in fashion?

3. The modern man is considerate. At the movie theater, he won’t munch down a mouthful of popcorn during a quiet moment. He waits for some ruckus.
          You mean there is someone who hasn't scarfed all the popcorn before the ads are finished?

4. The modern man doesn’t cut the fatty or charred bits off his fillet. Every bite of steak is a privilege, and it all goes down the hatch.
          The fatty bits tend to make me want to hurl. I refuse to eat them.

5. The modern man won’t blow 10 minutes of his life looking for the best parking spot. He finds a reasonable one and puts his car between the lines.
          I live in a small town....parking is generally not an issue (although I have spent over an hour before in the Auckland CBD looking for any parking as all the lots were full)

6. Before the modern man heads off to bed, he makes sure his spouse’s phone and his kids’ electronic devices are charging for the night.
          My wife is quite capable of doing that herself (my girls don't have any yet, and will need to learn to do it themselves)

7. The modern man buys only regular colas, like Coke or Dr Pepper. If you walk into his house looking for a Mountain Dew, he’ll show you the door.
          Drink what you like mate.

8. The modern man uses the proper names for things. For example, he’ll say “helicopter,” not “chopper” like some gauche simpleton.
          English is a living language mate....it changes, people use different words. deal with it.

9. Having a daughter makes the modern man more of a complete person. He learns new stuff every day.
          I have 4 daughters and no sons. SO I can kinda agree here, but would still change it to "having kids"

10. The modern man makes sure the dishes on the rack have dried completely before putting them away.
          depends how wet they still are. Might give a wipe before hand (but generally they're dry after the dishwasher finishes in the night)

11. The modern man has never “pinned” a tweet, and he never will.
          I barely use twitter.

12. The modern man checks the status of his Irish Spring bar before jumping in for a wash. Too small, it gets swapped out.
          his what?

13. The modern man listens to Wu-Tang at least once a week.
          Nope, never listened to any of their music.

14. The modern man still jots down his grocery list on a piece of scratch paper. The market is no place for his face to be buried in the phone.
          depends on if I was given the list over the phone or in a text.

15. The modern man has hardwood flooring. His children can detect his mood from the stamp of his Kenneth Cole oxfords.
          Carpets

16. The modern man lies on the side of the bed closer to the door. If an intruder gets in, he will try to fight him off, so that his wife has a chance to get away.
          currently this is technically correct as our current house, I am closest to the door, but in our previous house it wasn't.

17. Does the modern man have a melon baller? What do you think? How else would the cantaloupe, watermelon and honeydew he serves be so uniformly shaped?
          Those tupperware ones? yeah, my girls figured out how to make them whistle.

18. The modern man has thought seriously about buying a shoehorn.
          no

[quote=article]19. The modern man buys fresh flowers more to surprise his wife than to say he is sorry.[/quote\]Nope, my wife prefers to get something she can plant out in the garden, not something that's going to be dead in a week.

20. On occasion, the modern man is the little spoon. Some nights, when he is feeling down or vulnerable, he needs an emotional and physical shield.
          Umm no. it's because I apparently snore if I sleep the other way.

21. The modern man doesn’t scold his daughter when she sneezes while eating an apple doughnut, even if the pieces fly everywhere.
          because I'm too busy laughing?

22. The modern man still ambles half-naked down his driveway each morning to scoop up a crisp newspaper.
          What muppet waste money on a daily paper?

23. The modern man has all of Michael Mann’s films on Blu-ray (or whatever the highest quality thing is at the time).
          *quick look at his filmography* yeah I haven't even watched a single one of them, let alone own a copy.

24. The modern man doesn’t get hung up on his phone’s battery percentage. If it needs to run flat, so be it.
          And in the real world I have clients who need to be able to contact me.

25. The modern man has no use for a gun. He doesn’t own one, and he never will.
          Ok I don't own a gun (apart from my paintball markers). But I have no problem with owning one, and will be teaching my girls how to shoot.

26. The modern man cries. He cries often.
          depends at what you big pansy.

27. People aren’t sure if the modern man is a good dancer or not. That is, until the D.J. plays his jam and he goes out there and puts on a clinic.
          I don't dance.
          Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
          1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Just goes to show - we is all troglodytes.BC sexes.jpg
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

He who marries the spirit of the age is destined to be a widow.

Comment

@Raph, Irish Spring is a type of soap. I only know this because of the commercials they used to run.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                  @Raph, Irish Spring is a type of soap. I only know this because of the commercials they used to run.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Article obviously either ghost-written by a woman or the guy kept misspelling "hen-pecked" as "modern"

Now excuse me while I go get a facial and a spa treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Article obviously either ghost-written by a woman or the guy kept misspelling "hen-pecked" as "modern"

Spa day!

Comment

Makes me think of the episode of Reba where Brock takes Van to a spa.

Comment

Oh yeah. Double amen.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I have been called a dinosaur but never a "modern man."
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

So who is going to move Rogue, Sparko and Brum's posts over to the Sorority?
                              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X