Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Implications of a Multiverse on Christian Faith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Implications of a Multiverse on Christian Faith

I haven't read this forum, but a brief glance at the thread titles suggests some of what I'm about to bring up here may have been discussed before. I'm genuinely wrestling with some big questions about the universe (or multiverse) and my 17-year journey as a Christian. I've got some strong preferences on how this thread should unfold and I'll be as clear as possible about that here. I'm requesting the moderators support these preferences to the fullest extent possible.

The Question:

If we are part of a multiverse, as string theory and expansion theories are suggesting, it has been proposed that everything that can exist does exist somewhere and somewhen. It is theorized that there may be many iterations of each individual. The many worlds theory proposes that each time we make a choice, we split our reality and create a world where each choice is made. I know this is separate from the multiverse theory, but there are some crossover implications and I am still trying to understand where one line of thought ends and the other begins. For purposes of this discussion, I'm hoping to dialogue about an omnipotent creator God who is responsible for all I've just described and how meaningful (or meaningless) my decision for Christ is in this world if there are an infinite number of me's where some choose and some do not choose Him.

Requested Guidelines for Discussion:

Don't show off. This isn't a thread to flex your debate muscles in or try to one-up each other. I'm a real person working an a real struggle and most interested in thoughtful responses posted in simple, easy-to-understand language.

Avoid excessive links. A few links to very relevant articles or videos may be helpful, but please don't just refer me to a bunch of other resources. I want to hear from you as a friend would invest in a friend here. Just talk to me.

Don't try to win an argument. This isn't an opportunity to either win me back to the Christian fold or steal me for team atheist. Somewhere in your quiet hours, you must think about the meaning of it all yourself, complete with doubts and fears. Be gentle, please, and be genuine.

Thanks.
    sigpic
    "...so encourage each other and build one another up." ~1 Thessalonians 5:11

Originally posted by JardinPrayer View Post
    The Question:

If we are part of a multiverse, as string theory and expansion theories are suggesting, it has been proposed that everything that can exist does exist somewhere and somewhen. It is theorized that there may be many iterations of each individual. The many worlds theory proposes that each time we make a choice, we split our reality and create a world where each choice is made. I know this is separate from the multiverse theory, but there are some crossover implications and I am still trying to understand where one line of thought ends and the other begins. For purposes of this discussion, I'm hoping to dialogue about an omnipotent creator God who is responsible for all I've just described and how meaningful (or meaningless) my decision for Christ is in this world if there are an infinite number of me's where some choose and some do not choose Him.
    Well first, I don't believe that the multiverse actually exists. Second if it did, and there were multiples of you - you, in this universe, are only responsible for your actions. There would be no moral or physical connections with these other yous. So the you in this universe goes to heaven, the you in universe 1025 goes to hell. They still remain distinct beings responsible for their own acts.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

It is my personal view, whether God created just this one universe or an infinite innumerable universes there being no first creation: it makes no difference (John 1:3).
      Last edited by 37818; 10-06-2015, 02:30 PM.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

The Question:

If we are part of a multiverse, as string theory and expansion theories are suggesting, it has been proposed that everything that can exist does exist somewhere and somewhen.
        A while back the total number postulated was at least eight, I believe that number is now at least eleven. I kind of like the extra dimensions concept because it makes working out what is happening in the Old Testament easier to comprehend on occasion.

It is theorized that there may be many iterations of each individual. The many worlds theory proposes that each time we make a choice, we split our reality and create a world where each choice is made. I know this is separate from the multiverse theory, but there are some crossover implications and I am still trying to understand where one line of thought ends and the other begins.
        There is a difference between parallel universes, and a universe with more dimensions than we can observe. To the best of my knowledge there is no scientific hypothesis proposing parallel universes or alternate universes of that type. However, the concept does make for some interesting "what ifs" in Science Fiction stories.

For purposes of this discussion, I'm hoping to dialogue about an omnipotent creator God who is responsible for all I've just described and how meaningful (or meaningless) my decision for Christ is in this world if there are an infinite number of me's where some choose and some do not choose Him.
        You would be looking for an individual who had one soul shared across all the alternative iterations of himself before the scenario could play out. It's kind of mind boggling.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          A while back the total number postulated was at least eight, I believe that number is now at least eleven. I kind of like the extra dimensions concept because it makes working out what is happening in the Old Testament easier to comprehend on occasion.

There is a difference between parallel universes, and a universe with more dimensions than we can observe. To the best of my knowledge there is no scientific hypothesis proposing parallel universes or alternate universes of that type. However, the concept does make for some interesting "what ifs" in Science Fiction stories.

You would be looking for an individual who had one soul shared across all the alternative iterations of himself before the scenario could play out. It's kind of mind boggling.
          Source: Wikipedia

The many-worlds interpretation is an interpretation of quantum mechanics that asserts the objective reality of the universal wavefunction and denies the actuality of wavefunction collapse. Many-worlds implies that all possible alternate histories and futures are real, each representing an actual "world" (or "universe"). In lay terms, the hypothesis states there is a very large—perhaps infinite[2]—number of universes, and everything that could possibly have happened in our past, but did not, has occurred in the past of some other universe or universes. The theory is also referred to as MWI, the relative state formulation, the Everett interpretation, the theory of the universal wavefunction, many-universes interpretation, or just many-worlds.

© Copyright Original Source

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-w...interpretation

Sean Carroll argues for this interpretation here.

Comment

I don't think it really matters.

Going back to Judaism, there's a Kabbalistic idea that the first word of the Torah, Bersheis, can mean that God created as many universes as he thought necessary, but found this one to be the best spiritually.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              Source: Wikipedia

The many-worlds interpretation is an interpretation of quantum mechanics that asserts the objective reality of the universal wavefunction and denies the actuality of wavefunction collapse. Many-worlds implies that all possible alternate histories and futures are real, each representing an actual "world" (or "universe"). In lay terms, the hypothesis states there is a very large—perhaps infinite[2]—number of universes, and everything that could possibly have happened in our past, but did not, has occurred in the past of some other universe or universes. The theory is also referred to as MWI, the relative state formulation, the Everett interpretation, the theory of the universal wavefunction, many-universes interpretation, or just many-worlds.

© Copyright Original Source

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-w...interpretation

Sean Carroll argues for this interpretation here.
              Ah - a whole set of beliefs and speculations about what might be that I wasn't aware of. Thanks.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

As far as I understand it, Molinism postulates that God conceived of all possible worlds (exhaustive definite foreknowledge), and actualized the one with the best possible outcome.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  As far as I understand it, Molinism postulates that God conceived of all possible worlds (exhaustive definite foreknowledge), and actualized the one with the best possible outcome.
                  So, do I understand this correctly to suggest that all the other possible worlds could have existed, but never did? In this case, I'm wondering how that fits with the mathematics of particle theory that led to the development of the multiverse and many worlds theories. Would the equations be satisfied with a theory that simply posits potential?

I've been trying to understand three different concepts and how they interrelate:

1. The need for up to 11 dimensions to explain particle behavior at the sub-atomic level;
                  2. The idea that universes are being born and expiring all the time because of either collision of or division of existing universes (and, as an explain for our Big Bang as just one of many);
                  3. The quantum mechanics suggestion that all possibilities are realities and that each time we choose, we split our reality.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around how 2 and 3 interrelate (or don't), as well as the mind-blowing vastness of these implications. As I played a game of mah jong on my iPad yesterday, I wondered if I had just created 52 alternate realities just by choosing the order in which I removed tiles. Then, each one of those 52 must have created 52 more with their games, etc. This thinking tends to lead me back to not trying to understand at all, rather just to be still and know that He is God. Then, I get passionately curious again. It's not a comfortable thing to me.
                  sigpic

Comment

So, do I understand this correctly to suggest that all the other possible worlds could have existed, but never did?
                    Yes.
                    In this case, I'm wondering how that fits with the mathematics of particle theory that led to the development of the multiverse and many worlds theories. Would the equations be satisfied with a theory that simply posits potential?
                    I have no idea.
                    I've been trying to understand three different concepts and how they interrelate:

1. The need for up to 11 dimensions to explain particle behavior at the sub-atomic level;
                    2. The idea that universes are being born and expiring all the time because of either collision of or division of existing universes (and, as an explain for our Big Bang as just one of many);
                    3. The quantum mechanics suggestion that all possibilities are realities and that each time we choose, we split our reality.
                    I'm not sure how 1 interrelates with the other two; AFAICS the many dimensions are all in *this* universe.
                    I'm trying to wrap my brain around how 2 and 3 interrelate (or don't), as well as the mind-blowing vastness of these implications. As I played a game of mah jong on my iPad yesterday, I wondered if I had just created 52 alternate realities just by choosing the order in which I removed tiles. Then, each one of those 52 must have created 52 more with their games, etc. This thinking tends to lead me back to not trying to understand at all, rather just to be still and know that He is God. Then, I get passionately curious again. It's not a comfortable thing to me.
                    As far as I am aware, there is no way to test 2 and 3; all we have knowledge of is *this* universe, so IMO we should simply do our best to live within it and not worry about what we cannot change.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

So, do I understand this correctly to suggest that all the other possible worlds could have existed, but never did? In this case, I'm wondering how that fits with the mathematics of particle theory that led to the development of the multiverse and many worlds theories. Would the equations be satisfied with a theory that simply posits potential?
                      This does not likely fit any version of multiverse models. It represents religious version of what Creation may represent. Some models propose a relationship between possible universes, but other models conclude that there is not necessarily any connection between possible universes in different versions of any one multi-universe model. Most models remain hypothetical as to the nature and relationship between the universe, but all propose the multiverse likely contain many universes.

It is best not to try to hard looking for specific conclusions concerning multiverse models, and simply try understand the science of physics and cosmology without religious presuppositions.
                      Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-07-2015, 04:37 PM.
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                        This does not likely fit any version of multiverse models. It represents religious version of what Creation may represent. Some models propose a relationship between possible universes, but other models conclude that there is not necessarily any connection between possible universes in different versions of any one multi-universe model. Most models remain hypothetical as to the nature and relationship between the universe, but all propose the multiverse likely contain many universes.
                        I'm afraid I didn't understand this, particularly your last sentence. Aren't all models hypothetical in theoretical physics? And, by definition, a multiverse is many universes. I'm not being argumentative. I'm just confused about what you were trying to say here.

It is best not to try to hard looking for specific conclusions concerning multiverse models, and simply try understand the science of physics and cosmology without religious presuppositions.
                        I'm not trying to draw conclusions, necessarily, but I am trying to understand these concepts more fully. And, in this process, im definitely trying to reconcile my existing beliefs about my Christian God with what I'm learning. That's precisely what this exercise is about for me.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          As far as I am aware, there is no way to test 2 and 3; all we have knowledge of is *this* universe, so IMO we should simply do our best to live within it and not worry about what we cannot change.
                          I do appreciate that thought, and it does help me keep a bit of perspective. Thank you! This quest for understanding is a pretty big deal for me right now. I don't want my faith to be naive, rather informed. I do recognize that there is a great deal of mystery in God as well as the universe, and that's okay with me. But, we do know some things in physics and we have theorized some more things which have captured my interest as I move through this soul-searching season of my life. You suggested we should do our best to live within our known universe. Right now, my best is pretty lame, so I'm looking for deeper understanding and trying to keep my head above the waves, so to speak.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                            Most models remain hypothetical as to the nature and relationship between the universe, but all propose the multiverse likely contain many universes.
                            Actually all models remain hypothetical, as there is no concrete evidence for the existence of the multiverse.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              Actually all models remain hypothetical, as there is no concrete evidence for the existence of the multiverse.
                              This doesn't mean there's no evidence supporting them. Science usually evaluates several models at a time and for each hypothetical model to survive it must be consistent with other established theories. And to date several models, e.g. inflationary theory, lead to a multiverse.
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment