Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

stick PCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stick PCs

I just saw some information about the stick PCs which are available from Intel and should soon be available from Asus. An unofficial link for the ASUS product is: www.vivostick.org
    An earlier proposal (or theoretical) concept was to have several pen sized objects which functioned together as a computer. One was the computing unit and then another projected an image on the wall. I don't know that they could ever get this bright enough for practical purposes.

I didn't see these configured for normal operation with a mouse and keyboard and monitor. I think the addition of a blue tooth keyboard and mouse might make for an interesting portable computer. Then the video output is achieved by plugging the device into a computer monitor or hdmi port of a TV. I did not see if there is internet access available to these devices.

The concept caught my attention. Basically any TV can be converted quickly into the monitor for your 'computer.' As such, your applications and your desktop layout could be available where ever you go. It did get me thinking that I might prefer a variant concept of plugging such a stick into another computer to activate remote desktop access to this stick PC.

Are there some other benefits of these small computers which require connection to something like a TV or a computer?

//

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    ....The concept caught my attention. Basically any TV can be converted quickly into the monitor for your 'computer.' As such, your applications and your desktop layout could be available where ever you go. It did get me thinking that I might prefer a variant concept of plugging such a stick into another computer to activate remote desktop access to this stick PC.

Are there some other benefits of these small computers which require connection to something like a TV or a computer?

//
    *emphasis mine

Yeah, um, isn't this where we came in?

If they can create an equally portable yet practical interface, the sky's the limit. As powerful and versatile as a desktop, far more portable than the smallest laptop, convenient as a smartphone - what's not to love?

Of course, you don't usually lose your desktop...
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Boy, they're making computers smaller all the time.
      ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Sorry for the double post; just now thinking to reply to your question.

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        In a simple phrase -- portable video game console. Connect the stick PC to a TV, plug a joystick/gamepad device into a USB port, and have at it.
        ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment