Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Organization Saves Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organization Saves Money

No, I'm not talking about an "Organization" that saves money -- I'm talking about the fact that being organized saves money.

I've always pretty much known this, but in the past 10 years or so, I have made a greater attempt to KEEP organized, especially in my tools and equipment.

Used to be that, if I needed a grease gun or a caulk gun or a paint roller or whatever, it involved a trip to Walmart or the hardware store, because I knew I had one, but it would take forever to find it. So, I started organizing like things in plastic tubs in my shop, and a "bin tower" (12 shelves of 5 rows of plastic bins) in my garage.

You know how it is - after you've bought and used the paint roller from Walmart, you go to put it away, and you find the THREE that you already had.

It just occurred to me on this rainy rainy Saturday, as I've been putting things away and straightening up, that I've probably saved a BUNCH of money because I can actually find stuff I need, and don't have to make trips to the store to buy more.

bin tower.jpg
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I am thinking the money is well spent as opposed to the time and effort required to do the organization.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      I am thinking the money is well spent as opposed to the time and effort required to do the organization.
      Laughing... yeah, for about 40 years of wandering in the wilderness, I justified "a trip to the store isn't all that expensive, and that third caulk gun could come in handy....".
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Laughing... yeah, for about 40 years of wandering in the wilderness, I justified "a trip to the store isn't all that expensive, and that third caulk gun could come in handy....".
        I think I do have three. Now I can usually find one when I need it.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I umm tend to be more organized when I'm not growing children in my belly.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I do not have that excuse. I am just a messy.

Comment

I keep all my computer gadgets, parts and cables organized in ziplock bags. Like I have a bag full of back planes and screws, one with USB cables and adapters, one with power cords, etc

Tools I tend to not keep as organized. I have a general area for them, like the garage for yard and mechanical tools, and a cabinet in the kitchen with tools that I generally use in the house, like pliers and such.

And I tend to go through everything every few years and toss out anything that has become obsolete or I know I am not going to use (talking about computer and electronics gear mostly) - In fact it is about time for me to do that again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I keep all my computer gadgets, parts and cables organized in ziplock bags. Like I have a bag full of back planes and screws, one with USB cables and adapters, one with power cords, etc
                Years ago, I began draping cables (video cables, power cords, USB cables, etc) over a coat hanger in the closet - a separate coat hanger for each type of cable -- so I could tell at a glance what I had, and how long they were.

Tools I tend to not keep as organized. I have a general area for them, like the garage for yard and mechanical tools, and a cabinet in the kitchen with tools that I generally use in the house, like pliers and such.
                I have gotten almost anal at this - tools are very well organized.

And I tend to go through everything every few years and toss out anything that has become obsolete or I know I am not going to use (talking about computer and electronics gear mostly) - In fact it is about time for me to do that again.
                This is the hardest thing for me, I guess -- I still have a 200 MEG ESDI Hard Drive that's totally useless, but I paid $2,000 for it for a server many years ago. I need to pitch it, but....

Comment

Yeah I have a bunch of old memory modules that I know I will never use. I need to toss them. And even some old printer cables.

I have been wanting to organize my garage, and want to get those rails that you hang on the wall that you can attach hooks to and hang the tools on them, and so on.

Comment

I specialize in organized chaos.

I want one of these.
                    https://www.facebook.com/TheOriginal...3360665692955/

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I need to tidy up a bit, but here's one of my tool areas in my garage -- I can tell at a glance what's missing, and go get it before I forget where I left it.

tool bench.jpg

Comment

And, I'll buy 5 or 6 of those metal storage racks on wheels, but instead of building them individually, I interleave them into one long unit, so I can roll the whole thing out to sweep, paint, clean, or whatever....

storage tubs.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          I specialize in organized chaos.

I want one of these.
                          https://www.facebook.com/TheOriginal...3360665692955/
                          OK, I shall build one of those for Mrs CP ---- the VERY FIRST thing I noticed was the hinges on the sides, about midway back, and I already knew it opened up and opened up.

Very nicely done!

Comment

Organization is for people who are too lazy to look for their stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              OK, I shall build one of those for Mrs CP ---- the VERY FIRST thing I noticed was the hinges on the sides, about midway back, and I already knew it opened up and opened up.

Very nicely done!
                              I really want my son-in-law to make me something like that. I need to hint harder.

I don't need the little table that pulls out. When I am at my laptop I will post the picture of how my craft table looks this morning.
                              Last edited by mossrose; 05-18-2022, 12:31 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X