Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

SBC - Conservative Resurgence vs Fundamentalist Takeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBC - Conservative Resurgence vs Fundamentalist Takeover

In another thread, I brought up the SBC "Conservative Resurgence". Our detractors, of course, call it the "Fundamentalist Takeover".

It is, to my knowledge, the only large denomination that has ever "drifted left", then came back to conservative roots.

It began in the late 70's / early 80's with a systematic election of conservatives to SBC boards and committees, as well as the presidency. The aim was to take the SBC from a liberal trajectory to a clear declaration of inerrancy.

I remember well the liberals pitching fits and yelling about those "Fun-DAMN-mentalists".

I, of course, was one of the conservatives pushing for the removal of some of the more liberal elements. I believe that the majority of Southern Baptists are conservative at heart, and it was only the bigger churches at the time that were more liberal, and tended to have more liberal pastors. That has changed a lot, with some of our bigger Churches now being some of more conservative Churches.

What helped, of course, was that the vast majority of SBC Churches are NOT "big" at all, but are comprised of less than 125 active members.

In our convention, the local Churches send "messengers" (not delegates) to the annual meetings, and these "messengers" vote on issues pertaining to the convention's business. No Church can have more than 10 messengers, regardless of size. This is so a couple of Churches of 40,000 cannot overrule the vast majority of church congregations who might only be able to send 1 or 2 or 4 messengers (depending on the Church's size, but no more than 10 total).

Over time, and through some pretty contentious annual meetings, the conservatives began to win ballot after ballot (the key being the Presidency, of which Adrian Rogers of Memphis was the first) until the liberals got mad and decided to start their own state conventions. (the strategy was to elect ten conservative presidents in a row, because they appoint heads of boards and committees)

In Texas, the Baptist General Convention of Texas is the predominant STATE convention, so a bunch of us conservatives started up a new State Convention - the Southern Baptists of Texas Convention.

I think that's enough for an introduction for now.
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 11-07-2015, 03:27 PM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

CP, you must recognize the need for liberals to distort what they do not agree with. This is evidently true even among Christians.
      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      In another thread, I brought up the SBC "Conservative Resurgence". Our detractors, of course, call it the "Fundamentalist Takeover".

It is, to my knowledge, the only large denomination that has ever "drifted left", then came back to conservative roots.

It began in the late 70's / early 80's with a systematic election of conservatives to SBC boards and committees, as well as the presidency. The aim was to take the SBC from a liberal trajectory to a clear declaration of inerrancy.

I remember well the liberals pitching fits and yelling about those "Fun-DAMN-mentalists".

I, of course, was one of the conservatives pushing for the removal of some of the more liberal elements. I believe that the majority of Southern Baptists are conservative at heart, and it was only the bigger churches at the time that were more liberal, and tended to have more liberal pastors. That has changed a lot, with some of our bigger Churches now being some of more conservative Churches.

What helped, of course, was that the vast majority of SBC Churches are NOT "big" at all, but are comprised of less than 125 active members.

In our convention, the local Churches send "messengers" (not delegates) to the annual meetings, and these "messengers" vote on issues pertaining to the convention's business. No Church can have more than 10 messengers, regardless of size. This is so a couple of Churches of 40,000 cannot overrule the vast majority of church congregations who might only be able to send 1 or 2 or 4 messengers (depending on the Church's size, but no more than 10 total).

Over time, and through some pretty contentious annual meetings, the conservatives began to win ballot after ballot (the key being the Presidency, of which Adrian Rogers of Memphis was the first) until the liberals got mad and decided to start their own state conventions. (the strategy was to elect ten conservative presidents in a row, because they appoint heads of boards and committees)

In Texas, the Baptist General Convention of Texas is the predominant STATE convention, so a bunch of us conservatives started up a new State Convention - the Southern Baptists of Texas Convention.

Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

So you really are that old What were some of the big issues that liberals wanted to push? How far did they get? Was the president at one time liberal? What was it like for you at that time?

Ok, so it works like a cross between the Senate and House? There are differing numbers based on size of the church, but the difference isn't huge?
        How does this work with the whole autonomy of the local church belief? Are rulings binding on local churches?

Leave it to Texans to do that So are you then just a member of the SBTC or also a member of the SBC?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by heartablaze View Post
          So you really are that old
          I'm not older than dirt, but I helped carry the first load.

What were some of the big issues that liberals wanted to push? How far did they get? Was the president at one time liberal? What was it like for you at that time?
          Funny story - I grew up in a very conservative independent fundamentalist Baptist Church. The preacher was always talking about how liberal the Southern Baptists were. I think he talked more about the SBC than he did about Jesus. One of the big issues was the Broadman Commentary, which had some pretty liberal commentary about the first 5 books of the Bible. I think the Genesis commentary was the biggest challenge.

Anyway, I was going through some teenage rebellion at the time, and when I got old enough (17) to leave home, I did, and I figured I'd go check out these really liberal Southern Baptists. Well, God has a sense of humor, because the SBC Church I started attending was a very CONSERVATIVE Baptist Church where they preached the Bible, and didn't waste time blasting other denominations. That pastor (still "my pastor" to this day) preached about Jesus a whole bunch!

But, back to the topic - there were some very liberal professors at our seminaries (I think we had 6 seminaries then) and there was concern that our seminarians were not getting a good sound biblical education.

Ok, so it works like a cross between the Senate and House? There are differing numbers based on size of the church, but the difference isn't huge?
          Kinda like the Senate only has 2 Senators from each state, but, yeah, each Church can have UP TO 10 Messengers based on the size of the congregation. And we (the local Churches) elect our Messengers annually.

How does this work with the whole autonomy of the local church belief? Are rulings binding on local churches?
          There are no "rulings" - basically, we hammered out the Baptist Faith & Message (updated in 2000 to deal with "the Family"), but each Church is CLEARLY autonomous, and does not have to abide by anything the SBC decides. (The BF&M is not a "Creed", because we (Southern Baptists) boast of NOT being a "creedal people", although the BF&M spells out what we believe, kinda like ... um... well.... like a Creed! )

Leave it to Texans to do that So are you then just a member of the SBTC or also a member of the SBC?
          Most of our Churches belong to......
          • An "Association" - which is a local group of Churches, usually a county or several counties or parishes of a state.
          • (In some cases, there are also "Areas" - made up of a collection of Associations. Our "Area" is comprised of 4 Associations)
          • A State Convention - In Texas, it's the BGCT (if you're liberal) or SBTC (if you're conservative) or BOTH if you're confused.
          • The Southern Baptist Convention - which is the National organization that also hosts the North American Mission Board and the International Mission Board.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So, basically, you're part of a liberal renegade sect seeking to undermine the Southern Baptist rejection of creeds.
            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
              So, basically, you're part of a liberal renegade sect seeking to undermine the Southern Baptist rejection of creeds.
              When I'm not infiltrating Catholics from their closets, yes.

Comment

When I'm not infiltrating Catholics from their closets, yes.
                Are you also trying to undermine the Baptist belief in the inviolability of conscience? You probably don't even believe that the Baptists date back to John the Baptist. Damn liberals!

Comment

Are you also trying to undermine the Baptist belief in the inviolability of conscience? You probably don't even believe that the Baptists date back to John the Baptist. Damn liberals!
                  I betchya he's even got a commie flag tacked up on the wall inside of his garage smiley fist shake.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Are you also trying to undermine the Baptist belief in the inviolability of conscience?
                    You mean "the priesthood of the believer"? I can't confess to that, or folks will know I've got some Catholic in me.

You probably don't even believe that the Baptists date back to John the Baptist. Damn liberals!
                    I sure do! Why, I once attended a Baptist Church what had the restroom stalls labeled "1st John, 2nd John and 3rd John"!

Comment

You mean "the priesthood of the believer"? I can't confess to that, or folks will know I've got some Catholic in me.
                      No, I mean the inviolability of conscience. Am I the only Baptist left around here?

I sure do! Why, I once attended a Baptist Church what had the restroom stalls labeled "1st John, 2nd John and 3rd John"!
                      Sounds like you're referring to epistles not John the Baptist. You are so confused. I'm going to pray for you.

Comment

No, I mean the inviolability of conscience. Am I the only Baptist left around here?
                        But I like the priesthood of the believer better cause I can do anything I want and blame it on the Bible!

Sounds like you're referring to epistles not John the Baptist. You are so confused. I'm going to pray for you.
                        John, who wrote the gospel telling us about John the Baptist, also wrote .... hey, wait! the LADIES bathrooms would be named after the epistles, cause those were the wives of the apostles!

Comment

But I like the priesthood of the believer better cause I can do anything I want and blame it on the Bible!

John, who wrote the gospel telling us about John the Baptist, also wrote .... hey, wait! the LADIES bathrooms would be named after the epistles, cause those were the wives of the apostles!
                          I like the priesthood of all believers too, but I'm surprised that you think it is an indication of your crypto-Catholic tendencies. Most Catholics only rediscovered the priesthood of all believers with Vatican II.

Comment

I like the priesthood of all believers too, but I'm surprised that you think it is an indication of your crypto-Catholic tendencies. Most Catholics only rediscovered the priesthood of all believers with Vatican II.
                            All seriousness aside, when I was a kid, the neighbor down the street was a Catholic. I asked him to come to Vacation Bible School with me, and he asked his mom, who threw a wall-eyed fit. I will never forget her literally screaming "you don't have any business reading the Bible for yourself - that's what the Priest does!" Now, she was, indeed, a little nutty, but I began to find out that several of my other Catholic friends were NOT allowed to come to VBS unless they had special permission from the Priest, and they were NOT encouraged to (or, in some cases, they were discouraged from) reading the Bible on their own.

That would have been circa 1957 or so... when was Vatican II?

Comment

Which reminds me.... my Mom used to get REALLY upset when, at the beginning of each school year, we had to fill out a little form with our home address, phone number, nearest relatives, etc... and there was a place for "religious affiliation"...

The choices were...

Protestant
                              Catholic
                              Jewish
                              Other

Mom would get really mad because they didn't have "Baptist", and we for SURE weren't "Protestant!"

Comment