Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Why do some people want power and fame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do some people want power and fame?

And why am I not interested one bit in power or fame? It would be nice to have a bunch of money to give away, but that has problems also. I'd rather have access to a library filled with all the books that I'd want to read than to be famous or have a huge amount of power. Why do some people want that stuff anyway? Does it have to do with personality traits?
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Because putting someone in a pool and deleting the ladder is fun.

Oh, wait, was that not the kind of power we were talking about?

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
      Because putting someone in a pool and deleting the ladder is fun.

Oh, wait, was that not the kind of power we were talking about?
      I'm talking about real life, not messing with NPC's in video games. Maybe some people think every one else is like those npc's in videogames where it doesn't matter if you break them into Lego pieces!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        I'm talking about real life, not messing with NPC's in video games. Maybe some people think every one else is like those npc's in videogames where it doesn't matter if you break them into Lego pieces!
        NPCs? I would never do that to an NPC.* No, I only lock characters I lovingly created myself in a windowless, doorless room and press the fast forward button.

*well, except when I do

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
        "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
        Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
          NPCs? I would never do that to an NPC.* No, I only lock characters I lovingly created myself in a windowless, doorless room and press the fast forward button.

*well, except when I do
          Can we please be serious? Why do some people want power and fame in real life? Both have serious drawbacks, or so I've heard. Namely that with power, comes responsibility and with fame comes complete strangers knowing about you.

Comment

Pride and greed would seem to be pretty good explanations to me.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              Pride and greed would seem to be pretty good explanations to me.
              Of course. The question is why are some people more prone to pride and greed than others? What personality traits may make one find that the pros outweigh the cons concerning power and fame? Would you rather be in a library full of all the books you ever wanted to read or have power and fame?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                And why am I not interested one bit in power or fame? It would be nice to have a bunch of money to give away, but that has problems also. I'd rather have access to a library filled with all the books that I'd want to read than to be famous or have a huge amount of power. Why do some people want that stuff anyway? Does it have to do with personality traits?
                don't judge me man
                To say that crony capitalism is not true/free market capitalism, is like saying a grand slam is not true baseball, or like saying scoring a touchdown is not true American football ...Stefan Mykhaylo D

Comment

I have no ambition for power or riches either. Why bother, life doesn't even last that long. As long as I have enough for bread and the internet I'm set...
                  "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

fame feeds a person's ego, and power means that nobody can control you and you can do what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      fame feeds a person's ego, and power means that nobody can control you and you can do what you want.
                      Well, since God is ultimately in charge, even if someone were in power they shouldn't do everything they want. Leaders will be held to a strict standard and thus must live up to their responsibility. Which is why I don't want the power of being a powerful leader. Too much responsibility!

Comment

The answer is narcissism.
                        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                          The answer is narcissism.
                          Narcissistic personality disorder? Makes sense.

Comment

I do not know the name of the specific pathology, but it is wide spread amongst fallen human beings. So it is still sin however you classify it.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              I do not know the name of the specific pathology, but it is wide spread amongst fallen human beings. So it is still sin however you classify it.
                              I think it is called "Politics"

Comment