Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Hey South Park Fans - Anti-PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey South Park Fans - Anti-PC?

Is South Park traditionally anti-PC? (To be clear, we're talking about anti-Political Correctness)

This article seems to say that, but I don't watch South Park. I think the only full (and it might not be full) episode I ever watched was the one about the Mormons (dum dum dum)

ETA: Thanks to good advice from my buddy, BRUM, I need to add a LANGUAGE WARNING for the link - it is, after all, South Park (maybe that's why I never watch it)

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/09/south-park-police

Are they really mocking the PC movement?
    Last edited by Cow Poke; 11-10-2015, 07:28 AM.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Southpark mocks everyone. No one is safe, not even themselves.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Southpark mocks everyone. No one is safe, not even themselves.
      oh
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But the best BY FAR (It actually spawned a Broadway Show written by the Southpark creators) was the Mormon episode.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          But the best BY FAR (It actually spawned a Broadway Show written by the Southpark creators) was the Mormon episode.
          Yup, that's the only one I've ever seen.

Comment

I liked the one about scientology.
            http://www.southparkstudios.se/clips...tually-believe

Comment

the entire latest season has been response to the "social justice warrior" phenomena on the internet and college campuses. People complain South Park always says "the truth is somewhere in the middle" but the truth usually is in the middle of two extreme positions
              "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Is South Park traditionally anti-PC? (To be clear, we're talking about anti-Political Correctness)

This article seems to say that, but I don't watch South Park. I think the only full (and it might not be full) episode I ever watched was the one about the Mormons (dum dum dum)

ETA: Thanks to good advice from my buddy, BRUM, I need to add a LANGUAGE WARNING for the link - it is, after all, South Park (maybe that's why I never watch it)

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/09/south-park-police

Are they really mocking the PC movement?
                They have a long history of mocking political correctness.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Yeah, that one actually caused Isaac Hayes to leave. Knowing what I know, I think he was really afraid of being labeled a suppressive person and other stuff

South park is very crude, and I have turned some of there episodes off because of it, but honestly, they generally have a record of being very very funny and generally on target for all of its weirdness. Yes, I actually like it.

One of my other favorites was Sexual Harassment Panda.
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    They have a long history of mocking political correctness.

Yes they really do...
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                      Yeah, that one actually caused Isaac Hayes to leave. Knowing what I know, I think he was really afraid of being labeled a suppressive person and other stuff

South park is very crude, and I have turned some of there episodes off because of it, but honestly, they generally have a record of being very very funny and generally on target for all of its weirdness. Yes, I actually like it.

One of my other favorites was Sexual Harassment Panda.
                      It was the crudeness that got me to turn them off several years ago when it seemed that they subordinated being funny with being increasingly vulgar and out-and-out gross.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I don't watch it, but my understanding is that the creators are unapologetically libterarian. Also, this season is supposed to be pretty great because they've been taking huge swipes at the social justice warrior phenomenon.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                        "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                        Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          It was the crudeness that got me to turn them off several years ago when it seemed that they subordinated being funny with being increasingly vulgar and out-and-out gross.
                          They killed Kenny.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                            They killed Kenny.
                            You "illegitimate children" smiley fist shake.gif

Seriously though, it seemed like they got far more interested in trying to gross everyone out than making them laugh and when a comedy show stops being funny it quickly loses its appeal for me.

Comment

The gross out humor can be excessive yes, but still they can crack some funny stuff from time to time.

For example, for me, and given how I spent hours playing World of Warcraft, the make love not war episode had me giggling.

But for me, one of the funniest episodes has to be the Osama Bin Laden, especially the Looney Tunes bit they pull, that one had me laughing quite well.
                              Ladino, Guatemalan, Hispanic, and Latin, but foremostly, Christian.
                              As of the 1st of December, 2020, officially anointed as this:

"Seinfeld had its Soup Nazi. Tweb has its Taco Nazi." - Rogue06 , https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...e3#post1210559

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X