Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Looking at Winbook tablet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at Winbook tablet

I was looking at a $99 winbook tablet last night so I could travel lightly but have a computer. I just would need it for word processing ... maybe take some notes ... and maybe record audio. But I could do the latter on my phone. (The other issue was that I looked at carry cases for my laptop -- they are $50 or $60 -- and have no built-in CPU or memory.)

I also asked about the stick computers -- but those are as expensive but don't have screens or windows OS

I liked the winbook since it had the hdmi video output and the usb. It also should work with a Bluetooth keyboard (but these don't seem to have mice with them).

People gave good reviews of the tablets.

Does anyone have experience or preferences with the tablets or winbook?

When Winbook first came out, I was a big fan. I owned several Winbook notebooks, and sold them to customers. Somewhere along the line, customer service fell apart. Maybe they grew too fast to keep up. I don't know how it is now, but in the early days, I really LOVED Winbook.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I bought the TW802 tablet (for $100). I got the case/stand for $20 and an hdmi cable for $18. Then I also bought a mouse (just in case I didn't have an extra one) and a bluetooth keyboard. It has a year membership for Office 365 ... so maybe I will use that for now -- which sort of splits the $100 unit cost between the tablet and the word processor.

I think this will work out nice for traveling and for the conference. I could type notes or record the sessions (if allowed). The camera should be useful if I need to get a page or two out of a book -- the nice thing is that I don't have to upload the images to a windows computer since they would already be there.

Internet access is being done through a ZTE cellular mobile hub device with T-Mobile -- but I used up the bandwidth really quickly. oh well. I guess I will have to think about this Office 365 stuff ... maybe against using that.

It is funny that the 8.1 Windows on this tablet is giving me better video playback than on my laptop running Windows 10. Note that I tend to shy away from the new windows feel and hang out on the more familiar desktop area.

Another experiment was to load the GOM video player and to set it up with remote control to be done through my cell phone. It's sort of fun playing with that. I am able to use an old cell phone which was just gathering dust.

Comment

My phone activates upon two taps on the screen (at least, when i'm lucky). The Winbook just sits there until I press the button on the side.

My office phone doesn't respond to any taps or any gestures. I have to use the mechanical/electrical switches.

Oh well.

Comment

I want a microsoft surface pro 4.

Comment