Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Safe [Internet] Computing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe [Internet] Computing.

At work I get away with using an old Windows 98 [first edition] machine and OS. Not on any network. At home I'm currently using an XP machine. On the internet not recommended because of the bad guys. My personal Windows 98 SE machine was hit with a firmware virus (February 2010). Yes firmware. It will only boot from CD or DVD. 3 1/2 floppy can be read and written to, provided, track 0 is not accessed for boot or formatting, and a file is not being ran from the floppy. That is how I found it was a firmware attack. I thought it was just a hard drive failure. That computer will eat bootable hard drives.

The Opera Browser now requires a CPU which supports SSE2. Supports XP but not old hardware.

So currently the only browser I can safely use is Firefox.

XP without without administrator rights and good anti-virus software. And being careful regarding links.

Better yet a new machine with windows 10 or get a Mac. Maybe get a used Windows 7 machine.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Man... firmware viruses are the worst.

If you can, go for Windows 7 Professional because then you can use Windows XP Mode with it -- just in case any old programs you have don't work right directly in 7. Virtual machines rock.
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

You can still buy new computers with Windows 7.

Dell Outlet has some great deals on refurbished machines. It's like paying for the OS and RAM, and getting the rest free!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment