Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

NT scholarship: Radicals! Lots of them!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NT scholarship: Radicals! Lots of them!

I've recently been reading up on NT scholarship by diving into some of the works of authors like Richard Bauckham and NT Wright. One thing I notice that is a common theme among scholars like Wright, Habermas, Craig, Bloomberg, WLC, is to call any one that goes too far against what they consider acceptable methodology as being "radical" and "fringe". Usually, rather than address the conclusions of movements like the Jesus Seminar, I see these conservative authors resort to ad-hominem attacks, questioning the methodology, and accusing the critical scholars of having a bias.

Why does these authors resort to such childish mudslinging? I'm not saying it's never acceptable to bring up your opponents motivations but I think when you've got some underhanded theological motivations yourself, you're better off just trying to address the arguments at hand - which is what people should be doing anyways.

It's funny because I find the level of professionalism in NT scholarship very underwhelming. The whole "most scholars say" nonsense is just that. The reality is that when it comes to the origins of Christianity, there are many different angles scholars take, and they agree on very little.

If dodgy methodology is demonstrated, then there's little point in addressing conclusions which have been invalidated thereby.

I've been reading a fair bit of NT Wright, and from what I recall, he tends to demonstrate (at great length, even) why a certain methodology is dodgy.

I've read a little Bauckham, and I don't recall him making any unwarranted castigations. Without specific accusations, your post looks a lot like ad hominem, childish mudslinging. If you're going to accuse people of being unprofessional, it doesn't help to do so in an unprofessional manner. And FWIW, I see "most scholars say" brought up here much more from your side of the sandbox.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Blomberg's argumentation style is about as even keeled as they come. His latest book takes great pains to disassociate from extreme claims on both sides of the spectrum in every chapter. Associating him with "childish mudslinging" makes me question how familiar you really are with his writing.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        If dodgy methodology [...]
        That's the one that raised my eyebrow as well. Critiques of methodology are always appropriate. (As a matter of fact, it forms an essential aspect of my criticism of what I've read of Habermas, which admittedly isn't much.) On another note, I'm not at all familiar with most of the authors cited, as authors anyway, but if Craig and WLC aren't the same person, I'm even less familiar with Christian scholarship than I thought.

I think we need examples here.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
          That's the one that raised my eyebrow as well. Critiques of methodology are always appropriate. (As a matter of fact, it forms an essential aspect of my criticism of what I've read of Habermas, which admittedly isn't much.) On another note, I'm not at all familiar with most of the authors cited, as authors anyway, but if Craig and WLC aren't the same person, I'm even less familiar with Christian scholarship than I thought.

I think we need examples here.
          I'm not sure, but I think Craig might refer to Craig A. Evans.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            If dodgy methodology is demonstrated, then there's little point in addressing conclusions which have been invalidated thereby.

I've been reading a fair bit of NT Wright, and from what I recall, he tends to demonstrate (at great length, even) why a certain methodology is dodgy.

I've read a little Bauckham, and I don't recall him making any unwarranted castigations. Without specific accusations, your post looks a lot like ad hominem, childish mudslinging. If you're going to accuse people of being unprofessional, it doesn't help to do so in an unprofessional manner. And FWIW, I see "most scholars say" brought up here much more from your side of the sandbox.
            With Wright (and others), it's usually a misunderstanding of the methodology in the first place that leads to the issue. Metaphysical and methodologically naturalism are not the same thing, and historians using the latter is not a kind of bias against miracles, rather than a piratical way of determining probable history.

But go look at this:

Did you hear an argument in any of those videos? It's just the same old "more people argue with us!" kind of bandwagon nonsense. You've got to have more than that. The Jesus Seminar had it's problems no doubt, but to just give an appeal to authority (that mayor may not be true) is not an argument. Miller, Funk, Crossan, Borg, Harris, Mack, etc are accomplished scholars as far as I can tell, and I think they deserve more of a response other than being called "silly people" so smugly. One could just as easily bring up the institutional axe that the more conservative authors are wanting to grind - as well their own theological bias.

Blomberg's argumentation style is about as even keeled as they come. His latest book takes great pains to disassociate from extreme claims on both sides of the spectrum in every chapter. Associating him with "childish mudslinging" makes me question how familiar you really are with his writing.
            I was actually referring to Craig Evans.
            Last edited by Sea of red; 12-08-2015, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
              Thank you.

Comment

One Majority Text scholar Wilbur N. Pickering has done much work establishing f35 majority text type.
                www.cspmt.org/pdf/kr-f35/Kr_f35_NT.pdf

One place where Pickering admits omitting a majority text reading, 1 Peter 2:2, ". . . εἰς σωτηρίαν." "to salvation." All other majority text works omit this as not being a majority text reading. NKJV foot note only shows it is a NU reading (N = Nestle-Aland, U = United Bible Society). My old Nestle Greek NT shows it as a majority text reading. (Bought it back in about 1968) I just supposed that newer evidence had shown otherwise.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                  One Majority Text scholar Wilbur N. Pickering has done much work establishing f35 majority text type.
                  www.cspmt.org/pdf/kr-f35/Kr_f35_NT.pdf

One place where Pickering admits omitting a majority text reading, 1 Peter 2:2, ". . . εἰς σωτηρίαν." "to salvation." All other majority text works omit this as not being a majority text reading. NKJV foot note only shows it is a NU reading (N = Nestle-Aland, U = United Bible Society). My old Nestle Greek NT shows it as a majority text reading. (Bought it back in about 1968) I just supposed that newer evidence show otherwise.
                  What does that have to do with anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                    Nothing, he's probably posting in the wrong thread.

Comment

Then who is "Bloomberg"?
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                        If Craig and WLC aren't the same person, I'm even less familiar with Christian scholarship than I thought.
                        Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post

QED.

Comment

He is a NT scholar. I thought it would be of some interest. I guess not. He wrote "The Identity of the New Testament Text." D. A. Carson is critical of Pickering's view.
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                            He is a NT scholar. I thought it would be of some interest. I guess not. He wrote "The Identity of the New Testament Text." D. A. Carson is critical of Pickering's view.
                            I think you're either very confused, or in the wrong thread, unless I'm missing something.

Comment

With Wright (and others), it's usually a misunderstanding of the methodology in the first place that leads to the issue. Metaphysical and methodologically naturalism are not the same thing, and historians using the latter is not a kind of bias against miracles, rather than a piratical way of determining probable history.

Did you hear an argument in any of those videos? It's just the same old "more people argue with us!" kind of bandwagon nonsense. You've got to have more than that. The Jesus Seminar had it's problems no doubt, but to just give an appeal to authority (that mayor may not be true) is not an argument. Miller, Funk, Crossan, Borg, Harris, Mack, etc are accomplished scholars as far as I can tell, and I think they deserve more of a response other than being called "silly people" so smugly. One could just as easily bring up the institutional axe that the more conservative authors are wanting to grind - as well their own theological bias.
                              Blomberg is stating what's wrong: Crossan's "Cross Gospel," a non-eschatological Jesus, etc. I don't consider that "bandwagon nonsense." He's making specific claims about what the Jesus Seminar has wrong. I actually wrote a paper discussing the Gospel of Peter and how Crossan's Cross Gospel is dependent on the Synoptics and (very possibly) John. I imagine that Wright and Blomberg would've gone into more detail if they had more than two minutes in the clip. Actually, I think Wright does in the second book of his five book series (the name is escaping me).

Comment