Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Joy to the World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joy to the World

There are many lists of the most popular Christmas carols. The lists differ from each other but Joy to the World can be found on almost all of them.

This hymn shouldn’t be on any of these lists because it isn’t about Christmas at all. It is about the future return of Christ.

It was written by Isaac Watts and is based of Psalm 98.
    Oh sing to the LORD a new song,
    for he has done marvelous things!

His right hand and his holy arm
    have worked salvation for him.

The LORD has made known his salvation;
    he has revealed his righteousness in the sight of the nations.

He has remembered his steadfast love and faithfulness
    to the house of Israel.

All the ends of the earth have seen
    the salvation of our God.

Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth;
    break forth into joyous song and sing praises!

Sing praises to the LORD with the lyre,
    with the lyre and the sound of melody!

With trumpets and the sound of the horn
    make a joyful noise before the King, the LORD!

Let the sea roar, and all that fills it;
    the world and those who dwell in it!

Let the rivers clap their hands;
    let the hills sing for joy together
    before the LORD, for he comes
    to judge the earth.

He will judge the world with righteousness,
    and the peoples with equity

The psalm is a description of what will happen when God judges the earth. When Jesus was born he didn’t come as a judge but as a savior. That is the meaning of his name.
    She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.
    Matthew 1:21 ESV

Jesus came to die for our sins so we could be forgiven. After he rose and returned to Heaven he sent the Holy Spirit to give his followers the power they needed to preach the message of forgiveness to the whole world.

The present age of preaching the gospel won’t last forever. Christ will return to judge the earth and establish his kingdom here. If you examine the words of Joy to the World you will find that it describes what will happen then, not what happened when Jesus was born in Bethlehem.
    Joy to the world! The Lord has come:
    let earth receive her King!
    Let every heart prepare him room
    and heaven and nature sing.

When Jesus was born wise men from the East came looking for him because they knew he was king of the Jews but Herod tried to have him killed. Jesus is in fact King but the world doesn’t yet acknowledge that fact.
    Joy to the world! the Savior reigns:
    let men their songs employ
    while fields and floods rocks hills and plains
    repeat the sounding joy.

Today Jesus reigns only over those who have turned to him for salvation. The rest of the world rejects him.
    No more let sins and sorrows grow
    nor thorns infest the ground:
    he comes to make his blessings flow
    far as the curse is found.

Since sin entered the world the whole world has been under a curse. The existence of thorns and harmful plants is a symptom of that curse. This didn’t change when Jesus was born but it will when he returns.
    He rules the earth with truth and grace,
    and makes the nations prove
    the glories of his righteousness
    and wonders of his love.

Those who put their faith in Christ experience truth and grace on a personal level but in the world as a whole they are extremely rare.

It is unfortunate that people don’t know the real meaning of Joy to the World. There are plenty of other songs celebrating the birth of Christ but very few that celebrate his return.
    The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
    Leonard Ravenhill

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/

You missed the first three verses of the song Isaac wrote. It's from an entire book of songs based on the Psalms. This is the only one still sung today (and only half of it at that - and as you note divorced from its intended context).

As originally printed:

Joy to the World.jpg
    Last edited by One Bad Pig; 12-09-2015, 08:59 AM.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I sing it at Christmas and I sing it at other times, too. Because I have realized for many decades that it speaks of Christ's second coming.

I also sing O Come, O Come Immanuel all year. And also O Sing A Song Of Bethlehem, which covers Christ's life, including His return, all year.

More people than you realize may recognize the second coming aspect to Joy to the World.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I didn't see anything about the fish in the deep blue sea.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          More people than you realize may recognize the second coming aspect to Joy to the World.

I'd wager that the vast majority of the people who sing it don't, however.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            I'd wager that the vast majority of the people who sing it don't, however.
            Yup.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Handel was well known for writing music from Scripture. That would include the Messiah and Joy to the World.
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                Handel was well known for writing music from Scripture. That would include the Messiah and Joy to the World.
                Handel didn't write Joy to the World.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Handel didn't write Joy to the World.
                  oops you're right, the refrain was taken from part of the Messiah which apparently lead to the confusion, which lead to the original rumor that the tune was composed by him
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I didn't see anything about the fish in the deep blue sea.
                    bullfrog.jpg
                    When I Survey....

Comment

bullfrog2.jpg
                      When I Survey....

Comment