Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezer

So now that we have a house and, for the first time ever, floor space(!), one of the things we want to get asap is a freezer. My wife is a super saver when it comes to groceries, and having a freezer would be awesome.

I think I'm leaning toward a chest freezer rather than an upright one, for the additional space, but I'm more concerned with cost. Got any recommendations for cheap freezers? I'll be checking craigslist as well.
    Last edited by Zymologist; 01-07-2016, 11:21 AM.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Don't get a cheap one. Freezers are a huge investment. Get a brand with a good reputation. Kenmore was the one when I grew up. Danby is another....I've owned a couple of Danby appliances and had no complaints.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Don't tell anybody, because as soon as you do, it will break, but we have had the same chest freezer since we bought our house in 1978.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        So now that we have a house and, for the first time ever, floor space(!), one of the things we want to get asap is a freezer. My wife is a super saver when it comes to groceries, and having a freezer would be awesome.

I think I'm leaning toward a chest freezer rather than an upright one, for the additional space, but I'm more concerned with cost. Got any recommendations for cheap freezers? I'll be checking craigslist as well.
        ASAP? Isn't it winter in Montana where it gets (nearly) as cold as Canuckistan? Seems like a box on the porch might work until you find one.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          ASAP? Isn't it winter in Montana where it gets (nearly) as cold as Canuckistan? Seems like a box on the porch might work until you find one.
          Yeah, I suppose, but it's been a pretty mild winter thus far. You can ignore the asap....

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            Don't tell anybody, because as soon as you do, it will break, but we have had the same chest freezer since we bought our house in 1978.
            I unplugged an old freezer in my basement that was in serious need of a defrosting after my cousin pointed out that it used almost as much electricity as my AC. Not at all energy efficient (but then neither is the basement dehumidifier which my parents bought in 1964). I didn't keep much in it and now that I live alone my refrigerator/freezer is more than adequate.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think that might work except for the thing called wildlife...there's a lot of it in Montana.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                I think that might work except for the thing called wildlife...there's a lot of it in Montana.
                And this leads me to promoting some of rogue tech's great line of booby traps. A few are even (relatively) non-lethal.

Comment

And this leads me to promoting some of rogue tech's great line of booby traps. A few are even (relatively) non-lethal.

For the price, he could just buy a good chest freezer.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Great idea....fresh meat everyday. No fridge needed.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      For the price, he could just buy a good chest freezer.

They're inexpensive and we're running a Buy One Get One Free sale this week

Comment

I wonder... it just might be the perfect time of year for buying? Clearing out the inventory and all that..

Comment

Bhwhahaha. ..that fit weirdly with Rogue ' s post.

Comment

Any brands I should stay away from, or look for? Frigidaire seems to be the most commonplace. DB recommended Danby also...any others?

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              Any brands I should stay away from, or look for? Frigidaire seems to be the most commonplace. DB recommended Danby also...any others?
                              Here is a review of new chest type freezers: http://chest-freezers-review.toptenreviews.com/

Here is a review of new upright freezers: http://upright-freezer-review.toptenreviews.com/

ETA: And here is a review by Consumer Reports: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ures/index.htm
                              Last edited by rogue06; 01-07-2016, 12:41 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X