Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

my water heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my water heater

So we're moved into the new house, and it's great. I've never had so much space. I'm loving the house.

...but the water heater is 30 years old--1986 on the tank. It's still working great, and the home inspector tested it pretty hard when he did the home inspection, but I get the feeling that this thing just can't last much longer. Am I right? Would you recommend replacing it preemptively, or would you wait until it fails? As far as I can tell (knowing nothing about plumbing), with a water heater that old it's probably a better idea to just replace it. It's not if, it's when, and it's bound to be a lot more inconvenient and probably expensive to replace when it fails than before. Right?
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    So we're moved into the new house, and it's great. I've never had so much space. I'm loving the house.

...but the water heater is 30 years old--1986 on the tank. It's still working great, and the home inspector tested it pretty hard when he did the home inspection, but I get the feeling that this thing just can't last much longer. Am I right? Would you recommend replacing it preemptively, or would you wait until it fails? As far as I can tell (knowing nothing about plumbing), with a water heater that old it's probably a better idea to just replace it. It's not if, it's when, and it's bound to be a lot more inconvenient and probably expensive to replace when it fails than before. Right?
    A quick search turns up average lifespans of 8-12 years (recent) to 17 years (from 2001), with older units having longer lifespans. However, see also here.

I'll be checking mine soon (I'm at 17 years).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      A quick search turns up average lifespans of 8-12 years (recent) to 17 years (from 2001), with older units having longer lifespans. However, see also here.

I'll be checking mine soon (I'm at 17 years).
      Yeah, from what I can tell 30 years is positively ancient. Which is really cool, until it fails and leaks everywhere.

Comment

It's a lot more inconvenient to wait, yes, but the cost wouldn't likely be much more. Unless it bursts, which I've never heard of......

If you trust the inspector and if he thinks it is ok for now, then I would wait. If you feel strongly about it, and have the money for a new one, then go for it.

We've replaced ours once in 38 years, and the only inconvenience was no hot water for a couple of days. And it never leaked, just quit heating water.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          It's a lot more inconvenient to wait, yes, but the cost wouldn't likely be much more. Unless it bursts, which I've never heard of......

If you trust the inspector and if he thinks it is ok for now, then I would wait. If you feel strongly about it, and have the money for a new one, then go for it.

We've replaced ours once in 38 years, and the only inconvenience was no hot water for a couple of days. And it never leaked, just quit heating water.

you've never heard of a water heater bursting????? Ahem. I'd get it replaced at the end of its life....
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Did the inspector happen to mention about build-up inside the water heater?

It's possible for it to burst, but that might not be a big issue if it has a pan for that or depending on its location in the house. I've heard horror stories of water heaters in attics bursting and doing all sorts of damage, but a water heater in an unfinished basement won't be such a big deal.

If you have the money for it, make a plan to get it replaced sooner rather than later. It's definitely a 'when not if' scenario, and you don't want to be surprised with no hot water for a few days.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Inspector didn't mention that, no.

It's in an unfinished basement, so I'm not too worried about the damage from bursting, but I'd still rather avoid that (obviously).

Comment

The two most common problems of a Water Heater going out are :

1. Stops heating ...(If it's Electric.) (Gas Heaters not heating are related to the thermostat/gas regulator or Thermocouple)

and

2. They develop a leak.

They are relatively easy to replace. I recommend if they are soldered in piping changing to flexible copper hose with a shut off valve. This allows you to shut off the water to just the water heater while you change it.
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Get that thing replaced. I don't know if good prices can be had at this time of year, but better safe than sorry. And, since you're in a very cold climate, would it be good for you to consider a water recirculator as well? I've looked at some models, but we really don't deal with frozen pipes much here.

Here's a quick link I found on those things. Obviously you'll want the passive one, if you're interested.

http://greenhomeguide.com/askapro/qu...-you-recommend
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

You've got a big family haven't you?

you may want to consider (when you get to replacing it) getting something like this: http://www.rheem.com/products/water_...aign=vanityURL

(although a builder mate told my brother not to get one because he says the teenagers have longer showers when they know the hot water isn't going to run out)
                    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                      You've got a big family haven't you?

you may want to consider (when you get to replacing it) getting something like this: http://www.rheem.com/products/water_...aign=vanityURL

(although a builder mate told my brother not to get one because he says the teenagers have longer showers when they know the hot water isn't going to run out)
                      There's five of us in the house, so our demand shouldn't be too high. I do come from a rather large family, though.

I'll think about the tankless heater though.

Comment

I had to replace my gas heater because the hard water we get here just ate away at it. Don't know if that's a problem in your area.
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                          I had to replace my gas heater because the hard water we get here just ate away at it. Don't know if that's a problem in your area.
                          If his water heater is from 1986 I'm going to go out on a limb and say...no...

ETA: If the previous owner was VERY on top of things and changed out the anode rod really frequently...it could theoretically last that long in hard water area as well.
                          Last edited by Littlejoe; 01-12-2016, 08:07 PM.
                          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                            If his water heater is from 1986 I'm going to go out on a limb and say...no...

ETA: If the previous owner was VERY on top of things and changed out the anode rod really frequently...it could theoretically last that long in hard water area as well.
                            I'm probably going to look at doing that soon myself - any particular trick to it?
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              I'm probably going to look at doing that soon myself - any particular trick to it?
                              The down side to the Anode Rods are they are designed to be "eaten up". That means of course corrosion. If you wait too long the corrosion gets into the threads and it basically becomes nearly impossible to remove the old rod. So, first advice is to change it before it corrodes to far up. Most manufacturers recommend replacing it annually, but that really is determined by your initial water quality. In my town we have bad water so I replace mine about every 2 years...but I pull it annually to check it and to break loose the threads.

BTW, I'm not the plumber, my Dad is so these are things I've learned from him...

Before you get started, close the shutoff valve (hopefully you have one, if not, shut off the water to the house), turn on the hot water at a faucet to relieve pressure, and I usually turn off the electricity (or turn the gas to pilot mode) on the heater. It never hurts to go ahead and open the drain valve near the bottom of the tank and drain out several gallons of water. This helps flush out junk in the bottom and you can see if you have any rust already in the tank.

If you have one of those hammer drills or impact wrenches they work the best. I have a battery powered one that works great. You just need to get it loosened, don't use the drill to take it all the way out. Most water heaters have a glass lining and banging the anode rod on the sides will crack the lining causing you more problems that the rod replacement helps. So just hit it with the drill and get it loose, then unscrew it the rest of the way by hand.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X