Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

So...I have a smart phone now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So...I have a smart phone now...

I've never had a smart phone before. My wife and all my kids have one, but not me...OK, I know it's weird...her I am, an I.T. professional, who works for a major Computer/I.T. contractor and my client is a Major Medical Insurance provider...but, my since I'm an implant (I go to work at the same place every day with my own office at one of my clients major call centers) my company doesn't provide me with a smart phone, they only provide a basic cell phone that can only make calls and receive texts. No data. If I had wanted a smart phone, I would have to carry 2 phones, one for work and my other one. I just couldn't make my self pay for a phone when I was being provide one for free (since I'm on call 24/7 for 2 weeks out of 4 I have to have a company phone). Finally, my company decided that they would give us a choice, we could take a monthly stipend and get our own phone or keep a company phone. I decided it was time to get a smart phone!

So, being the I.T. professional I am, I immediately start thinking about when you're surfing the web, wouldn't a smart phone be susceptible to malware just like a PC or tablet? So, being the smart phone NOOB that I am, I'm now in the awkward position of asking those more in the know...

Is it necessary to get Anti-malware for Smart Phones?

If so, what do you recommend or what's the best Anti-malware for Smart Phones...
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

I'm looking too. So far I read that opinion is divided on getting malware for phones.

...also, I wonder if you would need to state what OS your phone has (iOS? Android?)
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      I'm looking too. So far I read that opinion is divided on getting malware for phones.

...also, I wonder if you would need to state what OS your phone has (iOS? Android?)
      Oh! Good point, I've got an Galaxy S6 so it's running Android 5.1.1
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        Oh! Good point, I've got an Galaxy S6 so it's running Android 5.1.1
        Cool. Worthwhile putting Avast on it for both AV and anti theft
        (I have it as a better safe than sorry thing, I have an S5)
        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
          Cool. Worthwhile putting Avast on it for both AV and anti theft
          (I have it as a better safe than sorry thing, I have an S5)
          Thanks Raph! I assume Avast Mobility Security?

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
            Thanks Raph! I assume Avast Mobility Security?
            Yup. I also use their "Cleanup" app. to reclaim space. you won't have to worry about that yet, but my phone has nearly two years of stuff on it.
            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I just downloaded and installed Avast Mobility and Anti-theft! I'm going to install it on my wife's phone as well...and use the cleanup app on hers! It's about 2 years old as well. Thank you for the recommendation!

Comment

Hm, they have a VPN offering. Anybody try that?

Comment

Hrm it has a 7 day trial, apparently. I've not had enough occasions yet to access public wi fi.

Avast Security found one issue. Apparently I checked the box to allow download from other than The Play Store. I can't recall for sure...might have been BeJeweled....not sure. I'm thinking about dumping that anyway.

Comment