Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Oh How Nature Has Deceived Us!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh How Nature Has Deceived Us!

OK, summing up the recent debates with atheists on this board, it seems that the evolutionary process has created us with some very deceptive beliefs or tendencies:

1. Our experience of free will is an illusion.

2. Our conscious rational deliberations play no effective role in the decision making process.

3. The almost universe tendency to believe in the divine is false.

4. The almost universal tendency to believe in the afterlife is false.

5. Our sense of universal justice is also a lie.

So nature has created us with defective brains, concerning some very fundamental issues. But of course the atheist's brain is not so deceived - nature has endowed him with clarity. So he thinks...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Clearly since your brain is defective, your logic is defective meaning that your brain is not defective, which means your logic is unassailable, which means that your brain is defective, which means your logic is defective meaning that your brain is not defective, which means your logic is unassailable, which means that your brain is defective, which means.. well you get it.

or do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Clearly since your brain is defective, your logic is defective meaning that your brain is not defective, which means your logic is unassailable, which means that your brain is defective, which means your logic is defective meaning that your brain is not defective, which means your logic is unassailable, which means that your brain is defective, which means.. well you get it.

or do you?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

or do you?
        only if it was determined that you would...
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          OK, summing up the recent debates with atheists on this board, it seems that the evolutionary process has created us with some very deceptive beliefs or tendencies:

1. Our experience of free will is an illusion.

2. Our conscious rational deliberations play no effective role in the decision making process.

3. The almost universe tendency to believe in the divine is false.

4. The almost universal tendency to believe in the afterlife is false.

5. Our sense of universal justice is also a lie.

So nature has created us with defective brains, concerning some very fundamental issues. But of course the atheist's brain is not so deceived - nature has endowed him with clarity. So he thinks...
          No nature has not created us all with defective brains - that implies none of us can ever get anything right. That's wrong. Nature created us with brains capable of being right, and capable of being wrong. That's why we had to develop methodologies like science and logic to circumvent these flaws. Science and logic are religion's no. 1 enemies. But yes, all of 1 to 5 is an illusion.
          Blog: Atheism and the City

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by The Thinker View Post
            No nature has not created us all with defective brains - that implies none of us can ever get anything right. That's wrong. Nature created us with brains capable of being right, and capable of being wrong. That's why we had to develop methodologies like science and logic to circumvent these flaws. Science and logic are religion's no. 1 enemies. But yes, all of 1 to 5 is an illusion.
            And you know this how? Because you were determined to?

Comment

And you know this how? Because you were determined to?
              I know this because I've seen the evidence.

If your whole worldview rests on a particular claim being true, you damn well better have evidence for it. You should have tons of evidence.

Comment

I know this because I've seen the evidence.
                And you know what evidence is how?

Comment

And you know what evidence is how?
                  My senses.

Comment

My senses.
                    How do you know that your brain is process this stimuli correctly?

Comment

Process this:

Comment

Process this:

Nice.

Comment

How do you know that your brain is process this stimuli correctly?
                          My consciousness.

Comment

My consciousness.
                            My consciousness is telling me that your consciousness . . . did what, exactly? Could you possibly explain further?
                            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                              My consciousness is telling me that your consciousness . . . did what, exactly? Could you possibly explain further?
                              How do I know - that's the key word. The only way we can know anything is via consciousness because that's what allows us subjectivity.

Comment