Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Microbiome, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microbiome, etc.

My question is to what extent should we be hygienic? At what point is practicing "good hygiene" actually causing detrimental effects to our system? See 3:25-4:10 for the relevant portion as it pertains to my question (but just watch the whole video, it's wonderful).
    Last edited by Scrawly; 02-15-2016, 02:47 AM.

Like this guy in the video (may be disturbing to some viewers) must have an astounding immune system from doing what he does and here I am washing my hands around the clock like some neurotic freak and I feel like I'm babying my immune system. Should I start eating with unwashed hands? Stop using soap so often? Please Dr. Phil...help me..

Comment

Friends, please tell me if I can strengthen my immunity by eating a little dirt every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
        Friends, please tell me if I can strengthen my immunity by eating a little dirt every now and then.
        I think you have to start when you are 4 years old.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          I think you have to start when you are 4 years old.
          Do you think it's possible to be a late-bloomer in this regard? What if an individual started fortifying their system with probiotics and prebiotics and then engaged in "unhygienic" behavior? Could their system be strengthened through that process to the point of an individual who engaged in "unhygienic" behavior and naturally trained their system through that process when they were young?

Comment

Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

We are okay wiyh our kids playing in the dirt we don't use bleach unless we're killing a round of noro virus. Instead we use castile soap and essential oils for hand washing. I use steam and hot water as a disinfectant and borax, vinegar, and coconut bsed cleaners with essential oils that actually work. My house is clean but not sterile. And it smells nice but not artificial. I won't at road kill but I won't eat something raised with feed laced with antibiotics either if I have the choice. Does that seem reasonable?
              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                We are okay wiyh our kids playing in the dirt we don't use bleach unless we're killing a round of noro virus. Instead we use castile soap and essential oils for hand washing. I use steam and hot water as a disinfectant and borax, vinegar, and coconut bsed cleaners with essential oils that actually work. My house is clean but not sterile. And it smells nice but not artificial. I won't at road kill but I won't eat something raised with feed laced with antibiotics either if I have the choice. Does that seem reasonable?
                Sure does! Do you think an individual should practice being unhygienic to a reasonable extent in order to train their immune system to get stronger after fortifying themselves with probiotics and prebiotics?

Comment

Sure does! Do you think an individual should practice being unhygienic to a reasonable extent in order to train their immune system to get stronger after fortifying themselves with probiotics and prebiotics?
                  No because then you risk getting really sick. Its one thing to let your kids eat a little dirt, or vaccuum twice a week instead of every day. (our carpets have stains, and If I owned a steam cleaner I would only do it three times a year) But to be exceptionally dirty or eat in an unhygenic manner can actually mean picking up some really bad toxins. Here's a great example. When we go to the farmers market or go fruit picking, I let my kids and me, eat something fresh without washing it first. It tastes FANTASTIC. There's just something about eating a fresh picked piece of fruit. My mom let us do it and so on. However.... I love alfalfa sprouts. But the risk of catching e:coli (the killer kind) is really high from unwashed sprouts especially because of how they are grown (close to mass farms) It would be STUPID and downright idiotic, if I purchased sprouts from someone who used "natural fertilizer" a "mass farm" and then refused to wash and steam the sprouts. In other words no don't be stupid.
                  A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                    No because then you risk getting really sick. Its one thing to let your kids eat a little dirt, or vaccuum twice a week instead of every day. (our carpets have stains, and If I owned a steam cleaner I would only do it three times a year) But to be exceptionally dirty or eat in an unhygenic manner can actually mean picking up some really bad toxins. Here's a great example. When we go to the farmers market or go fruit picking, I let my kids and me, eat something fresh without washing it first. It tastes FANTASTIC. There's just something about eating a fresh picked piece of fruit. My mom let us do it and so on. However.... I love alfalfa sprouts. But the risk of catching e:coli (the killer kind) is really high from unwashed sprouts especially because of how they are grown (close to mass farms) It would be STUPID and downright idiotic, if I purchased sprouts from someone who used "natural fertilizer" a "mass farm" and then refused to wash and steam the sprouts. In other words no don't be stupid.
                    From this day onward, I hereby pledge to my fellow humans never ever to eat roadkill. Amen and amen.

Comment

From this day onward, I hereby pledge to my fellow humans never ever to eat roadkill. Amen and amen.
                      So you're never going to eat in a fine dining establishment in Alabamastan I guess.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X