Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Cat behavior after moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat behavior after moving

Hello TWebbers. As many of you know, we have just moved to Atlanta, GA. Our cat Shiro is not happy. On the way down after while, he was quiet and when we got here, since there were people moving things around, I told Allie to take him to the master bathroom which is connected to the master bedroom and to close the door. THat way she could bond with him and calm him down. Still, Shiro has been scared and he doesn't eat as much and he has a bad habit of deciding to start crying at 3 in the morning so much so that we have to lock him in the guest bathroom just so we can sleep.

I've been told this behavior is normal as cats adjust. How many people have this experience and what can we do to hasten the transition?

Get him his own crate or box and put in something of Allie's that she no longer needs but has used (or just wear an old shirt around the house for a few hours then poke it in). Put the crate in a safe place - this becomes his spot so choose wisely. That gives him a familiar refuge when you're not around. Otherwise, spend more time with him so he feels more at home. Stick treats/toys in out of the way places so that he's rewarded when he gains the confidence to explore.

Stop rewarding the bad behavior - do NOT get up and give him attention when he yowls at night. He wants the attention and you are teaching him that yowling in the middle of the night is a way to get it. Instead, set an alarm to go off before he usually acts up then go give him a quick pat and a treat. You are now rewarding the good (quiet) behavior.

As he settles in, get up earlier and earlier until you are just giving him his treat before bed - he can't tell time so you can probably get away with an hour increments once the yowling is stopped.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

He needs a cat tree to feel safe in. Give him a space to escape in and wrap a ticking clock in a towel or soft plush blanket and put it in a higher perched shelf. He'll feel safer.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Thanks Teal. That makes sense. We are also getting him a cat tree soon. Otherwise, this is all pretty much normal behavior?

Comment

Sounds like normal cat behaviour. Based on my experience, cats don't like changes in location. Your cat needs to be able to establish new territory which will take some time. I think Teallaura and Catholicity have a good plan--give the cat somewhere he can feel safe, where he can retreat to when he gets too nervous or scared. Unless this goes on way too long, I wouldn't be too concerned with it.

Comment

We always kept our cats indoors whenever we moved for at least three months if memory serves. The theory was to encourage them to think of the new house as home, so they wouldn't try to run away. I think tho that you said your kitty was an indoor cat?

Teal's and Cath's suggestions are good ones.
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
              Thanks Teal. That makes sense. We are also getting him a cat tree soon. Otherwise, this is all pretty much normal behavior?
              Yup. He's out of his old territory and adjusting to new. He's wary, and the meowing is essentially telling you he's terrified and unfamiliar. My cat meow's every night at 4 am to be fed. We're getting an auto feeder to prevent this.

Actuallly, I'm surprised you didn't shut him in the bathroom with litter, food and water for a day or two to begin with. Cat's like small safe spaces and we do this with ours when we move while were getting the heavy furniture out of the way so he can "feel" safe, when its quiet we open the door so he can venture out a bit at his own pace. Usually laying a "treat trail" associates a reward with social behavior, allowing kitty to enjoy their food in an open space. Toys tend to work well too.
              Last edited by Catholicity; 02-20-2016, 04:55 PM.
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                Yup. He's out of his old territory and adjusting to new. He's wary, and the meowing is essentially telling you he's terrified and unfamiliar. My cat meow's every night at 4 am to be fed. We're getting an auto feeder to prevent this.

Actuallly, I'm surprised you didn't shut him in the bathroom with litter, food and water for a day or two to begin with. Cat's like small safe spaces and we do this with ours when we move while were getting the heavy furniture out of the way so he can "feel" safe, when its quiet we open the door so he can venture out a bit at his own pace. Usually laying a "treat trail" associates a reward with social behavior, allowing kitty to enjoy their food in an open space. Toys tend to work well too.
                Actually, we did . The master bedroom and bathroom are connected and we kept him there while we unpacked.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                  Actually, we did . The master bedroom and bathroom are connected and we kept him there while we unpacked.
                  Oh ok. that's good. then hrmm...you just have a slightly neurotic cat. The meowing will stop. I would say close off your bedroom if you must at night until you have the tree and toys. He'll get over it. My cat who is fairly easy going, just closed himself off in a quiet space (under the bed) for a day until he got hungry. Then he started exploring and rubbing his fur all over the new stuff. He's a bit older but relatively laid back. Since we were moving locally we kept him in one room then drove him to the new place and kept him in the bathroom for a day. His only "quirk" is that he won't use the litter anywhere else but the bathroom and he wants food at 3:00 am but it has to do with is age and we think potentially a mild senility that may come with. Most cats get "set in there ways" after a certain time frame.
                  George Bernard Shaw

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X