Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Did anyone expect this bombshell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone expect this bombshell?

I'm not even sure that this is the right section of the forum to launch this in; because strictly speaking, it's not about theism vs. atheism, but rather Christianity vs. any and all non-Christian views - or to be even more precise, belief in the verbal divine inspiration of the New Testament vs. any view that disbelieves this.

Unfortunately I can't see any section of the forum which fits this category. Therefore mods, if you decide it belongs elsewhere, by all means move it and let me know so I can keep track of it.

A few months ago I prepared a paper which is much too long to quote in full in a thread post (particularly since the appendix runs to 25 pages), and in any case I wanted to show it to a few of my acquaintances who I judged competent to review it and check for significant errors or gaps in the argument. A couple of controls were suggested, which I've carried out, which tend to support the basic thesis negatively, while positively, I've been meaning to review the data in the appendix on which the argument works itself out, but have been busy and only just got round to starting that - but what I've done so far by way of revision suggests that no material difference to the initial outcome is to be expected.

Sorry to keep you all on tenterhooks. Here's what it's all about:

As you know, over the years there have been various Jewish and Christian Scripture students who have claimed to find significant numerical patterns in the Hebrew Bible and/or Greek NT. Before you start yawning, my paper offers brief criticism of some of the better-known of these attempts, pointing out that the main difficulty is the complication involved which renders satisfactory statistical analysis problematic if not impossible.

The point is, one needs to be able to walk before ever thinking of running. So in order to see whether there might be anything at all in the general concept, one needed to set up an experiment that would be free of the pitfalls to which previous inquiries were susceptible.

To summarize what I wrote:

(1) Nobody can doubt that the Bible explicitly ascribes theological significance to certain numbers; of which 7 is the chief, by common consent.
    (2) For a whole range of reasons which I describe, 8 is associated with Jesus.
    (3) Therefore since, according to the NT, Jesus is God incarnate, one expects both 7 and 8 to be associated with him in contrast to all other numbers.
    (4) If there is anything at all in the idea of 'covert' Biblical numerics, it should reveal itself at the simplest level possible; if not, there is no point in expecting it at any more abstruse level.
    (5) Pretty much the simplest statistic that can be imagined re. a text, is the number of letters in it. (Well, maybe the number of words, but for the present inquiry that would be tricky as the phrases are biased to being shorter than 7 words long.)
    (6) Therefore, I undertook to go through the entire Greek NT, selecting every phrase and clause describing Jesus' unique identity and attributes (as determined by explicit NT teaching), and testing the letter counts of the resulting data set for divisibility by 7 or 8.
    (7) The probability that a random number is divisible by 7 or by 8 (or both) is 15/56 or about 0.267.
    (8) The total number of theologically qualifying word strings I found on initial investigation was 783. Of them, 449 were db7 or db8.
    (9) The expected number of 'numerically' qualifying word strings is about 210.
    (10) For this binomially-distributed random variable (re. divisibility or not), the chance of getting at least 449 qualifying strings out of 783 turns out to be 1.24 x 10^-71.

Now that's a thunderclap.

I myself knew of no prior to reason to expect any statistically significant result, let alone one as outlandishly astronomical as this. Hence my caution and request for second opinions. Like I said, a couple of controls were suggested and carried out. For example, I tested the same 783 strings for db5, given that there were no separate grounds to link 5 to Jesus. As I expected, the results were well within the bounds of the null hypothesis, viz. 139 out of 783, where the expected frequency was 156.6.

Another control was to take 100 random verses, which in this case was every 10th verse beginning at Matthew 1:1 and ending at 27:6. This found 21/100 cf. the 26.8/100 expected. Nothing the null hypothesis couldn't support.

Anyway, I meant to review the list in question, to make quite sure that the partitions were semantically and linguistically natural as well as theologically relevant. I've been busy over the last two months and more, but have finally been able to start revising it. And so far, the revision has made only a slight difference, not beginning to seriously affect the material result. That is, where the initial result for Matthew was 41 / 79, it's now 38 / 77. I think it's very reasonable to suppose that no great difference will be made to the rest of the New Testament listing either.

So: it's over to you. If anyone would like to see the paper, or at least the paper minus the appendix, do PM me and I'll try to share as needed.

Just to reiterate: the idea of such hidden numerics is one that would never have occurred to me; I'm only investigating it because other people have raised the issue. If there's nothing in it, the sooner that's exposed the better so Christians don't waste any more time on it

But as I say, it looks like there really is something in it after all.

great. another one.

Comment

I consider Biblical numerics over the years is simply people see what they want to see, and it is not a significant issue.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        I consider Biblical numerics over the years is simply people see what they want to see, and it is not a significant issue.
        me too. They find what they want to find, then come up with a way to "support" it. Backwards methodology.

Comment

Theomatics!!!!!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Ecclesiastes 1:9

Comment

If Numbers weren't important to God, He would never have included a book of the Bible named NUMBERS!!!!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Why do people look for hidden meaning in the bible when the meaning is there, plain as day? God has no reason to hide information from us. And God's people would not use hidden and deceptive meanings so the writers did not hide things in codes.
                "we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to everyone’s conscience in the sight of God." - 2 Cor 4:2

And we don't need magic numbers to confirm the truth of the bible and the gospel. We have the holy spirit for that.
                John 16:13 "But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth."

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  If Numbers weren't important to God, He would never have included a book of the Bible named NUMBERS!!!!

Hmm. Got me there. And he wouldn't have put all those numbers before every verse.

Comment

Let's introduce him to Biblewheel.
                    When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                      Let's introduce him to Biblewheel.
                      Biblewheel gave up. I think he even lost his faith.

Blue Triangle. Now that was a solid bible conspiracy nut.

Comment

(1) Nobody can doubt that the Bible explicitly ascribes theological significance to certain numbers; of which 7 is the chief, by common consent.
                        Where? How? Why?
                        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

I like math.

I don't like Biblical numerics. It's one thing to ponder the significance of numbers like 7 and 40 in the Bible. It's another to find numeric patterns. You can always find numeric pattern oddities in any text.

Originally posted by Vertetuesi View Post
                          (8) The total number of theologically qualifying word strings I found on initial investigation was 783. Of them, 449 were db7 or db8.
                          (9) The expected number of 'numerically' qualifying word strings is about 210.
                          (10) For this binomially-distributed random variable (re. divisibility or not), the chance of getting at least 449 qualifying strings out of 783 turns out to be 1.24 x 10^-71.
                          This has to be one of the most ridiculously obtuse ones I've seen. Now, I'm sure you put a lot of work into this. I don't like to sound dismissive of such a math effort. But you've found a strange, time-consuming hobby that provides no conclusions.
                          Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

So, is this Biblewheel 2.0?

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              So, is this Biblewheel 2.0?
                              Biblewheel retread.

Comment