Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Data Plans for Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Plans for Laptops

You know, you stick the thingie (technical term ) in the USB port and you have internet access even when there isn't a cable (or my case, wifi) available. I know they still exist but I can't make heads or tails of the things when I search for one.

Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    You know, you stick the thingie (technical term ) in the USB port and you have internet access even when there isn't a cable (or my case, wifi) available. I know they still exist but I can't make heads or tails of the things when I search for one.

Thanks!
    Isn't tethering to your phone an easier option (then you use your phone's dataplan)
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...er%2Caps%2C218

Are these what you're talking about?
      ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

You can get a wifi hotspot device to connect via cellphone systems. I've tried it recently with TMobile. I stopped after a couple of months since the data plan, without a phone through TMobile, doesn't give me sufficient internet access for me. I used it up in a week instead of a month. But this was largely due to the O/S updates for Windows 10 that I had happening.

It may work better if you have cell phone service with them.

There also are wireless providers which require special equipment -- but this is hard to find.

Comment

You kids and your fancy devices

Why when I was a kid we didn't have no cell phones or Internet

We had 100 pound hand cranked computers and 300 baud modems -- and we liked it!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            You kids and your fancy devices

Why when I was a kid we didn't have no cell phones or Internet

We had 100 pound hand cranked computers and 300 baud modems -- and we liked it!
            Did you have tv? Were computers still the size of a small house when you were a kid?
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Begining May 31 Vigin Mobil will be offering "unlimted" 4G WiMax USB dongle under their Broadband2Go plans. It is on the Sprint network. The 3G part of the plans are limited 2Gig/5Gig access.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                Did you have tv? Were computers still the size of a small house when you were a kid?
                Of course we had TVs. Do you think we were barbarians? I was even the remote control and rabbit ears for the TV.

meadowbrook_on.jpg

Comment

Thanks!
                  The big guys like Verizon and At&t use stand alone devices now days. Verizon's is called a Jet Pack and At&t's is called Unite Pro(?) and of course as someone already stated, you can have a Cell phone enabled to be a hot spot.

Verizon used to use a device called an Air Card that plugged into your pc, but those have been superceded by the Jet Pack.
                  "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Thanks, Everyone!!!!!
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                      Isn't tethering to your phone an easier option (then you use your phone's dataplan)
                      Probably, but the internet reception isn't great (unless I want to keep the lap top on the washing machine...) and neither is my data plan. I will have to try it sometime.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                        Begining May 31 Vigin Mobil will be offering "unlimted" 4G WiMax USB dongle under their Broadband2Go plans. It is on the Sprint network. The 3G part of the plans are limited 2Gig/5Gig access.
                        That's the data plan I have now - still, it might do what I want.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                          You can get a wifi hotspot device to connect via cellphone systems. I've tried it recently with TMobile. I stopped after a couple of months since the data plan, without a phone through TMobile, doesn't give me sufficient internet access for me. I used it up in a week instead of a month. But this was largely due to the O/S updates for Windows 10 that I had happening.

It may work better if you have cell phone service with them.

There also are wireless providers which require special equipment -- but this is hard to find.
                          Isn't that the same thing as the VM service Bible mentioned?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                            http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...er%2Caps%2C218

Are these what you're talking about?
                            I don't think so - aren't they for computers that don't have wifi built in?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I don't think so - aren't they for computers that don't have wifi built in?
                              Those are antennae to connect TO a hotspot, I think? My Verizon Jet pack is a stand alone device that devices link to.
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X