PDA

View Full Version : Data Plans for Laptops

Teallaura
02-28-2016, 05:46 PM
You know, you stick the thingie (technical term :teeth:) in the USB port and you have internet access even when there isn't a cable (or my case, wifi) available. I know they still exist but I can't make heads or tails of the things when I search for one.

Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks! :flowers:

Raphael
02-28-2016, 06:47 PM
You know, you stick the thingie (technical term :teeth:) in the USB port and you have internet access even when there isn't a cable (or my case, wifi) available. I know they still exist but I can't make heads or tails of the things when I search for one.

Thanks! :flowers:

Isn't tethering to your phone an easier option (then you use your phone's dataplan)

The Melody Maker
02-28-2016, 06:54 PM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_20?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=wireless+usb+adapter&sprefix=wireless+usb+adapter%2Caps%2C218

Are these what you're talking about? :smile:

mikewhitney
02-28-2016, 10:58 PM
You can get a wifi hotspot device to connect via cellphone systems. I've tried it recently with TMobile. I stopped after a couple of months since the data plan, without a phone through TMobile, doesn't give me sufficient internet access for me. I used it up in a week instead of a month. But this was largely due to the O/S updates for Windows 10 that I had happening.

It may work better if you have cell phone service with them.

There also are wireless providers which require special equipment -- but this is hard to find.

Sparko
02-29-2016, 04:33 AM
You kids and your fancy devices

Why when I was a kid we didn't have no cell phones or Internet

We had 100 pound hand cranked computers and 300 baud modems -- and we liked it!

Christianbookworm
02-29-2016, 06:03 AM
You kids and your fancy devices

Why when I was a kid we didn't have no cell phones or Internet

We had 100 pound hand cranked computers and 300 baud modems -- and we liked it!

Did you have tv? Were computers still the size of a small house when you were a kid?

02-29-2016, 06:21 AM
Begining May 31 Vigin Mobil will be offering "unlimted" 4G WiMax USB dongle under their Broadband2Go plans. It is on the Sprint network. The 3G part of the plans are limited 2Gig/5Gig access.

Sparko
02-29-2016, 07:36 AM
Did you have tv? Were computers still the size of a small house when you were a kid?Of course we had TVs. Do you think we were barbarians? I was even the remote control and rabbit ears for the TV.

Littlejoe
02-29-2016, 10:34 AM

Thanks! :flowers:The big guys like Verizon and At&t use stand alone devices now days. Verizon's is called a Jet Pack and At&t's is called Unite Pro(?) and of course as someone already stated, you can have a Cell phone enabled to be a hot spot.

Verizon used to use a device called an Air Card that plugged into your pc, but those have been superceded by the Jet Pack.

Teallaura
02-29-2016, 06:15 PM
Thanks, Everyone!!!!!

Teallaura
03-12-2016, 01:37 PM
Isn't tethering to your phone an easier option (then you use your phone's dataplan)
Probably, but the internet reception isn't great (unless I want to keep the lap top on the washing machine...) and neither is my data plan. I will have to try it sometime.

Teallaura
03-12-2016, 01:38 PM
Begining May 31 Vigin Mobil will be offering "unlimted" 4G WiMax USB dongle under their Broadband2Go plans. It is on the Sprint network. The 3G part of the plans are limited 2Gig/5Gig access.
That's the data plan I have now - still, it might do what I want. :ponder:

Teallaura
03-12-2016, 01:39 PM
You can get a wifi hotspot device to connect via cellphone systems. I've tried it recently with TMobile. I stopped after a couple of months since the data plan, without a phone through TMobile, doesn't give me sufficient internet access for me. I used it up in a week instead of a month. But this was largely due to the O/S updates for Windows 10 that I had happening.

It may work better if you have cell phone service with them.

There also are wireless providers which require special equipment -- but this is hard to find.

Isn't that the same thing as the VM service Bible mentioned?

Teallaura
03-12-2016, 01:42 PM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_20?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=wireless+usb+adapter&sprefix=wireless+usb+adapter%2Caps%2C218

Are these what you're talking about? :smile:I don't think so - aren't they for computers that don't have wifi built in? :huh:

DesertBerean
03-12-2016, 01:54 PM
I don't think so - aren't they for computers that don't have wifi built in? :huh: Those are antennae to connect TO a hotspot, I think? My Verizon Jet pack is a stand alone device that devices link to.

Teallaura
03-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Those are antennae to connect TO a hotspot, I think? My Verizon Jet pack is a stand alone device that devices link to.
That was what I thought. :yes:

But they are very similar to what I was asking about - thanks, MM! :flowers:

So, DB, how do you like the Jet Pack?

DesertBerean
03-12-2016, 02:23 PM
That was what I thought. :yes:

But they are very similar to what I was asking about - thanks, MM! :flowers:

So, DB, how do you like the Jet Pack? I got this about five years ago I think. It works most of the time. I'm on a shared data plan with 15 G data allowance per month. Bit expensive but Verizon isn't cheap. Major reason I'm staying with Verizon is their coverage. There's some serious blind spots here where T-MOBILE, which has a line of devices very popular with the deaf, doesn't even burp, and up in the mountains nothing but Verizon and Sprint works. And I don't like what I've heard about Sprint customer service.

Although there's a weird thing about coverage up in the mountains here...at about five each day there's no coverage. I haven't bothered to find out why...it's supposed to be my vacation time, so :nsm: