Statement of My Beliefs
These are non-negotiable and I will accept someone as a Christian who accepts these.
1) I believe in God, eternal and existing outside of time, perfect, holy, and in three persons (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit).
2) I believe Christ Jesus is the Son and:
a) Christ Jesus is God Incarnate as a man in the hypostatic union
b) Christ Jesus was born of a Virgin
c) Christ Jesus lived a Sinless Life and is the example of how I should live my life
d) Christ Jesus Worked Miracles
e) Christ Jesus’ Death Provides the Only means of Atonement for the Sins of Humanity. In other words, Christ Jesus is the only way to God.
f) Christ Jesus Physically Rose from the Dead and Was Seen Alive by Many
g) Christ Jesus Ascended Bodily to the Father
h) Christ Jesus is Coming Again
3) Salvation is a gift of God and not earned by any action of man.
4) The Bible is the only reliable revelation of God to man. In the original manuscripts, it is inerrant, inspiried, and perfect. Despite all the copies that have been made since it was written, no error that changes a major doctrine has occurred. It contains all the principles I need to live life faithful to God’s will. Other books may contain elements of truth but they are not reliable because of the falsehoods they contain.
These are items that I believe the Bible takes a clear stand on. I must be a faithful witness to these positions. I believe, however, that people may hold positions contrary to these without losing their salvation.
1) The Bible establishes marriage as between a man and a woman for life.
2) The Bible only supports the pro-life position.
3) God is more interested in my spiritual health than my physical health or worldly prosperity. Having the latter two is not necessarily an indication of God’s relation with that person.
4) The ordination of women is not endorsed – however it is not explicitly forbidden.
These are items that I accept that people of good conscious disagree on. I do not believe that a person’s position on these will affect their salvation.
1) The presence or lack thereof of Christ Jesus in the Lord’s Supper.
2) The denomination (or non-denomination) and church that a person is a member of.
3) Eschatology – my current position is undecided. I do believe Jesus is physically returning to rule the earth.
4) Creation / Intelligent Design / Evolution position. I can accept any position from Young Earth Creationist to Theistic Evolution as long as we agree that God is in control of the process.
5) Bible Translation. I accept that because of the difficulties in translation and translation style, differences in translation will occur. I am willing to discuss the reliability of a given translation. I do not hold that one translation is God’s only choice.
6) The Bible does not support any one economic theory. I personally am not convinced that God created the concept of wealth or the resulting economic theories.