Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

The tweb recipe thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The tweb recipe thread

I will start...

Sparko's chili

1 large (40 ounce) can of Brooks chili beans (I like the "hot" ones)
    1 pound of ground beef
    1 can of Rotel
    1 small can of tomato paste
    1/4 onion
    1/3 cup diced jalepenos
    Spices: Chili powder, ground cumin, pepper, garlic powder, hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder.

Brown the ground beef with the onions. Drain.
    In a large crock pot, mix the beans, ground beef, onions, rotel, tomato paste, and jalepenos.
    Stir in a little hot water to thin out the mixture
    Add in chili powder to taste, add about 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin (depending on how much you like)
    add about 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder or fresh garlic diced up small.
    add 1 tablespoon of cocoa.
    salt and pepper to taste

Heat in crock pot for around 6 to 10 hours.

Sprinkle with sharp cheddar cheese and enjoy with oyster crackers!

If you put it over pasta like spaghetti sauce, I will hunt you down and bury your body where nobody will ever find it.

you don't put cayenne pepper in your chili? I always add it in mine.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
      you don't put cayenne pepper in your chili? I always add it in mine.
      it's in the chili powder.

Comment

Someone should see if they can find the old thread. I know bandecoot had a recipe or two in there.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Almost Authentic Japanese Curry

I lived in Japan for 4 years. I've tasted various kinds of Japanese curry and then attempted to mimic them at home. After many many MANY failures, I finally found the "sweet spot". I now share it with you, so that you TOO may enjoy a bit of genuine Japanese cuisine at home. ;)

First, you need the right kind of curry mix. The most common curry found in the US stores is Golden Curry. It tastes OK but is salty and sort of heavy on the palate. Vermont Curry is my preferred choice. It's got a milder more balanced flavor. The problem is I can't find it in stores! I buy it from Amazon.com in packs of 10. (And, no, Indian Curry is not even remotely the same as Japanese curry. You must get actual Japanese curry for this recipe.)

Here's your ingredients:
          4.4 Ounce Vermont Curry - 2
          Potatoes, Med - 4 to 6
          Carrots, Med - 1 to 2
          Onions, Med - 1
          Beef steak* - 1 pound or so
          5 Cups of water
          Rice**

What you need to cook with:
          1 Large Pot (enough to easily hold 5 cups of liquid) + lid
          1 Med Pan (enough to hold 1 pound of beef)
          Spoon for Stirring Delicious
          Another Utensil for turning beef

*Beef Steak... I usually get a well marbled (not too fatty, not fat free) steak that a half an inch to one inch thick. You could also use chicken or shrimp, but I think beef is the best! This would also taste perfectly fine without any meat in it at all!

** Do not use plain long grain white rice. Especially do NOT use instant rice! Either get sushi (short-grain) rice or brown rice. This kind of rice takes about 45 minutes to prepare, so make it at least 1 hour in advance. Make as much as you want! There is no such thing as too much left over rice! YUM!

CHEATS: Buy frozen pre-cut onions and carrots! Recipe works just the same with less prep time! :D

PREP:
          Skin your potatoes and cut them into cubes that are about 1 inch thick. If you go a little smaller or bigger, that's ok... the key is that they're all about the same size.
          Skin your carrots. However big you cut the potatoes, cut the carrots half that. Carrots take the longest to cook, so by cutting them smaller you reduce the cook time.
          Pre-heat pot and pan to medium setting.
          Cut your onion! About an inch is a good size, but it's fine to cut them bigger or smaller.
          Cut your beef into 1 inch thick cubes.
          Remove curry from boxes. Cut into small pieces.
          COOK:
          Add onions to pot and beef to pan.
          Turn beef until browned (I like having one side a bit crispy), remove from heat and set aside. (I recommend covering to retain heat.)
          Stir onions frequently until translucent. When done, add 5 cups of water, potatoes, and carrots. Cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once at a boil, lower to med heat and cook for 10 minutes. (Or until potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork or knife.)
          Remove pot from heat, add your 2 boxes of pre-cut Vermont Curry. (Cutting it small causes it to melt faster.) Stir until curry is completely mixed with water and veggies.
          Put pot back on LOW heat, cover. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
          Add beef. Cook on low for another 10 minutes.
          PUT IT IN YOUR FACE HOLE, IT'S DONE!
          Eat it the traditional way! Get a plate, cover half with rice and the other half with your finished curry! Eat with a spoon! YUM.
          Or eat it like my husband does! Get a big bowl, put rice on the bottom and curry on the top, mix it all together.

This makes a LOT of curry! It tastes great as a left-over, but it's also fun to share it with friends and family! :)

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Someone should see if they can find the old thread. I know bandecoot had a recipe or two in there.
            One archive of The Tweb Cook Book I don't know if it has all pages in the thread but some of bandecoot's start on PAGE 3.

Comment

Thanks, JohnnyP!

Just found the recipe for the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies in the Whole World that I posted a LONG time ago!

This is my Mom's recipe. She passed away in 2008 at the age of 89.

I have tweaked it a bit, and got it pretty good, but my son, MelMak, can make these absolutely killer! We have doubled the recipe, and doubled it again, since there's no point in making just a couple dozen of these. The recipe is easy to halve.

Cream 1 and 1/2 c. shortening, 1 c. white sugar, and 2 c. brown sugar until well blended. Add 4 tsps. vanilla, and 4 eggs. Beat these REALLY well, until VERY light and fluffy. (I usually turn the mixer on high and go away for 10 minutes, coming back to scrape periodically.)

Add 4 c. flour, 2 tsp, baking soda, and 1 tsp salt. Mix well. Stir in 12 oz. chocolate chips, or however many you want. (I also like to add a cup or so of chopped pecans or walnuts. We have also added toffee bits......you could add dried cranberries, the options are limitless).

Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes, or whatever works best with your oven. Enjoy. Before they're all gone.

MelMak also does another great rendition. He takes out 1/2 c. of flour and replaces it with 1/2 c. cocoa powder. Makes fabulous chocolate chocolate chip pecan/walnut cranberry toffee......cookies.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
                One archive of The Tweb Cook Book I don't know if it has all pages in the thread but some of bandecoot's start on PAGE 3.
                Thanks! I'm going to copy over the recipes, in case the archived version gets pruned.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I'ma just going to copy and paste the good recipes I had in the other thread. Worth repeating.

Okay, Rum has asked for favourite Christmas recipes. Here are a few that I really like. Will start with Salmon Pate'.......very good!

Salmon Pate'

1 can salmon -- including juice, but remove bones and skin. I like the red salmon, it has a stronger taste.
                  4 oz. (small package) softened cream cheese
                  1/8 tsp. worcestershire sauce
                  1 tsp. grated onion
                  1 1/2 tsp. horseradish
                  1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
                  1/8 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients well (I use my little food processor) and keep in refrigerator. Best made a day before using.

The best thing to use this spread on is a cracker like Ritz, or equivalent.

Enjoy!

ETA: I buy a jar of regular prepared horseradish. It comes in different heats, I use the least heat-y. The jar lasts in the fridge forever, just about, so you don't have to mess with grating the real thing.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

This was a recipe that my Mom made every Christmas. I still make it almost every year.

Gum Drop Cookies

Mix all these together:

1/2 c. shortening
                    1/2 c. butter
                    1/2 c. white sugar
                    1/2 c. brown sugar
                    1 beaten egg
                    2 c. flour
                    1 tsp. baking soda
                    2 tsp. cream of tartar
                    1/2 c. gumdrops
                    1/2 tsp. vanilla

Drop by teaspoonsful onto cookie sheets, and bake at 350 F for 8-10 minutes. My oven bakes a little hot, so you may need to adjust the time. And I always double this recipe!

( You can sometimes find little tiny baking gums, but if not, you can use big ones, but you should probably cut them up a little....I couldn't find any gumdrops I wanted to use this year, so am using chopped red and green cherries instead.)

Comment

These are the best sugar cookies I have ever tasted. Got this recipe from a dear friend of mine.

Elaine's Sugar Cookies

3/4 c. butter or hard margarine
                      3/4 c. white sugar
                      1 large egg
                      1 tsp. vanilla
                      2 c. flour
                      1 tsp. baking soda
                      1 tsp. cream of tartar
                      1/4 tsp. cardamon (optional, but the cookies aren't the same without it)
                      1/4 tsp. salt

Cream butter and sugar together. Add egg and vanilla, beat well.

Mix remaining ingredients in separate bowl. Stir into batter. Roll dough out 1/8 inch think of lightly floured surface. Cut out with desired cookie cutters.

Bake on greased cookie sheet at 350 F for about 10 minutes. Cool and decorate.

Makes about 7 dozen cookies.

Comment

From Jade:
                        Originally posted by Jade
                        Easy goulash

1 lb Hamburger
                        16 oz Elbow Noodles
                        2 cans Diced Tomates (w/ garlic, oregano, & basil)
                        4 cans Tomato Sauce
                        2 cans of Mushrooms (optional)

Brown hamburger (add salt and pepper if desired) and drain. Boil Noodles according to package directions and drain. Stir hamburger and noodles together. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, and mushrooms (if desired). Heat to a boil then simmer up to 30 minutes for maximum flavor. Makes about 4-8 servings depending on your definition of serving.

sigpic

Comment

From calvinistkid:
                          Squirrel Tacos:

Shoot and clean 1-2 squirrels per person (depending on size). You may use a shotgun, but a .22 is preferable, because then you don't have to pick out bbs. Anything more powerful than a .22 can destroy too much of the meat. Boil cleaned squirrels for about 45 minutes. Pick meat off of bones and place in a frying pan with taco seasoning and a dash of oil (chicken taco seasoning works, because squirrel tastes a lot like chicken, but I prefer to use beef because of the stronger flavor of the squirrel). Place seasoned meat in either hard or soft taco shells, add cheese and lettuce, serve with refried beans and/or tortilla chips with salsa.

sigpic

Comment

I see there are some of Mudgie's recipes there, too.

Comment

From Dr.GH:
                              I prefer fish. Season 1 or two filets per person with ground cumin, salt and pepper.

Fry them in olive oil with a few shakes of jalepeno salsa. Break the filets into small pieces in a bowl.

Shred some cabbage and a few carrots. Dress them with mayo + vinegar + oregano + garlic and what ever else you want, (More hot sauce, and fresh lime juice are a good ideas).

Warn a bunch of corn tortillas in the oven. Bust open the beers and everyone makes their own soft tacos at the table.

Tonight:
                              Make a pot of rice (I like to use Mahatma Saffron Yellow Rice).

Slice a salmon filet into strips about 1 1/2 wide (cut across the muscle fiber, ie top to bottom--dorsal to ventral) season with very much black pepper, ground cumin, ground garlic. Fry in olive oil at high heat to make a crust without over cooking the center. Drip some frsh lime juice when you take them off the heat.

Serve with a pile of rice across the plate with a salmon piece on top. Sliced tomato is good along the side.

sigpic

Comment